E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Snow Tire/Wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

After long consideration over this topic, I went for the 17" setup..( check it out in the Gallery ).

The bottom line is I guess, image or safety - and personal choice regarding the risks...Inherently an 18" setup will be harder and have a lower profile and wider tread footprint on a road eventually covered with water,
snow or slush...sure on a nice clear winters day you will have better grip, performance or whatever, but the one time you will want that extra bite on grip the wider footprint might betray you. 225/50/17 is the min. that BMW reccommends for the 545i, that's what I went for as a winter setup. This means theoretically that the basic handling of the car, according to our good friends, engineers at BMW, is still comensurate to the abilities of the car, while enjoying
the benefits of winter tires.

Especially for harsh winters : image and safety is a marginal case. I would only go
for safety. But anyway, if you look at my car the 17" setup, can someone say that the car looks bad ? ...considering the safety enhancement for winter driving.

There are so many factors to consider...driving style, how bad the weather can get, even luck..so even on 17" you can have a bad/unlucky day...!
But , when you compare the pure merits of tires based on softness, footprint,
grip - smaller and lower is technically better for winter style driving.

Next time you see a rally in Scandinavia, just notice how thin and tall the tires are!!

IMHO
Old 11-14-2004, 07:42 AM
JDN
Contributors

That pretty well echos the thinking of my son in Denver, Andy.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by sdpike' date='Nov 14 2004, 08:41 AM
This is such a great forum as there's so much information and opinions? ?

I did speak with Walt at Tire Rack. What a great guy and very helpful. He recommended that I buy the Dunlop M3's. We debated about 17 inch versus 18 inch. His recommendation was that I go with 245-40X18. He feels that the 18's have better performance on cleared roads. The winters up here in Boston are long and harsh. Lot's of snow/ice and very BIG potholes. But, we agreed that for the most part, roads are clear the vast majority of the time.

I'm still undecided though regarding the 17 versus 18 as the debate goes on here. The great news is I need to make the decision soon as my car is at the VPC in Jersey.
[snapback]55962[/snapback]
Hi sdpike,

I considered my driving style along with the snowy / slushy / wet / sandy / cleared roads in our area. End result is that I went with the 18's and Michelin Pilot Alpins (245's all around). When it snows really bad up here, basically everything shuts down - and once it stops the roads are quite clear (especially the main roads).

I am quite close to you, btw (geographically speaking, that is ).
Old 11-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

spike, er sdpike, it's good to see that you finally got out of that class-less Jag (no offense to my British friends - just a good natured, friendly rivalry). Our mutual friend told me that you FINALLY came in from the dark side. I'll be much nicer to you now!!!

Here's a link to my ride.

BTW, I got the Dunlop M3s. I had the M2s on my last 5er, and they were great. Good luck. Call sometime.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i sports package, Nav, HUD, cold weather, Prem sound, Orient Blue, Auburn int. Steptronic

Hinckley, what size rims 17 or 18?

Nice ride. Let's talk this week. BTW, the Jag was a damn good ride and you would have like it better than the Silverado
Old 11-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sdpike' date='Nov 14 2004, 07:42 PM
Hinckley, what size rims 17 or 18?

Nice ride. Let's talk this week. BTW, the Jag was a damn good ride and you would have like it better than the Silverado?
[snapback]56201[/snapback]
I got the 18s to use with my regular wheels. It's probably stupid, but my car's too pretty to mess with it's looks!!!! Don't forget that I walk everyday, so it's rare that I'd HAVE to drive if the weather's too bad. If you're keeping the Silverado, I'd just go with the 18s as well.

Sorry about the Jag crack. I couldn't resist. Talk to you soon . . .
Old 11-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Members

Get 18s so they'll fit your M5 too
Old 11-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by price9195' date='Nov 14 2004, 09:48 PM
Get 18s so they'll fit your M5 too
[snapback]56236[/snapback]
Kinda what I was thinking - real estate market willing

Here's my new snow tire setup: 18x 8.5 BBS RK (17.5 lbs )
Snow Tire/Wheel question-gerrynov15_050.jpg
Snow Tire/Wheel question-gerrynov15_047.jpg
Snow Tire/Wheel question-gerrynov15_048.jpg
Old 11-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Kramer

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Nov 13 2004, 11:33 AM
If the weather where you live is bad enough that you need winters, I would go with the 17" rather than the 18".? Tire rack has a good explanation of the reason for this.? I just bought mine (I am the one who posted that tire rack is out of the Dunlop M3) and I got the Michlin Pilot Alpin PA2 and the ASA JH3 wheels to get close to an OEM look.? I have had the Piollot Alpin before and they are excellent tires for the NE.? If you ask Tirerack will throw in BMW logos for the wheels for free.
[snapback]55709[/snapback]
Old 11-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Kramer

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Nov 13 2004, 11:33 AM
If the weather where you live is bad enough that you need winters, I would go with the 17" rather than the 18".? Tire rack has a good explanation of the reason for this.? I just bought mine (I am the one who posted that tire rack is out of the Dunlop M3) and I got the Michlin Pilot Alpin PA2 and the ASA JH3 wheels to get close to an OEM look.? I have had the Piollot Alpin before and they are excellent tires for the NE.? If you ask Tirerack will throw in BMW logos for the wheels for free.
[snapback]55709[/snapback]

Tirerack has Dunlop M3's. I literally just received a set with the ASA JHS 17". Looks just like the original rims on the 545i sport. Thanks whoever recommended these wheels.

Quick Reply: Snow Tire/Wheel question