E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Snow chains with E60

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d

I'm thinking of purchasing snow chains for the winter skiing seasons and my 225/55 R16 tires (2006 520d):
Do you know if the diameter of the chains is of crucial importance on my configuration, as I assume all snow chains do not fit BMW E60 ?
Any advice .
Old 11-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by copello' post='494385' date='Nov 14 2007, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing snow chains for the winter skiing seasons and my 225/55 R16 tires (2006 520d):
Do you know if the diameter of the chains is of crucial importance on my configuration, as I assume all snow chains do not fit BMW E60 ?
Any advice .
I think you probably would be O.K. using "Cable Chains", but possibly not the conventional old style link chains. I believe BMW says you can't use any at all, but the cable chains are thin enough to fit safely in many cases. Go here for details: http://www.vulcantire.com/chainfaq.htm

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='494399' date='Nov 14 2007, 06:38 PM
I think you probably would be O.K. using "Cable Chains", but possibly not the conventional old style link chains. I believe BMW says you can't use any at all, but the cable chains are thin enough to fit safely in many cases. Go here for details: http://www.vulcantire.com/chainfaq.htm

Good luck.
Thanks for posting the link. Vulcan has a lot of information about chain clearances, etc. Seems the smallest cable chains add less than 1/4-inch to the tire sidewall and tread clearance. BMW sells accessory chains for the rear wheels: $390. Chains for the rears from Vulcan: $66.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

In which way do you plan to brake ?
The chains don't solve that problem, on the snow .

I never get snow tires or chains and never had trouble on mountain .
Can't wait to try on the snow the new device in signature
Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='506407' date='Dec 13 2007, 01:54 PM
In which way do you plan to brake ?
The chains don't solve that problem, on the snow .

I never get snow tires or chains and never had trouble on mountain .
Can't wait to try on the snow the new device in signature
Move to the Sierra's or Tahoe of Northern California where it can accumulate in the feet within a few hours. Not only that, but because of the high moisture content in the snow in N. California, not only is it deep, but it is VERY slippery underneath. When I lived in Colorado, they never required chains, but that was because the snow was much more dry. CHP in California will not let you go through the pass without chains in your car if a storm warning is in effect. If the storm is in full effect and your nearing the pass, plan on pulling over and throwing those chains on. And if it's really bad, which happens every other year or so, they may even shut down the interstate, in which case, you're sleeping in your car or they'll come get you and you'll be forced to leave your car on the side of the road. If you have AWD or a 4x4 with good winter tires, they'll let you pass, but you still must have chains in the car no matter what. No chains = no going through the pass.

I've driven with chains before and it's ideal when trying to plow through 2 feet of snow on a major interstate, if you don't have AWD or a 4x4. However, the second the snow ends and you hit dry road, the chains must come off. A friend of ours kept her chains on her E39 540 Wagon coming down the pass one year from Tahoe. Once she hit dry pavement, she kept them on and kept going at normal speeds. The rear drivers side chain came apart and whipped around in the wheel well and shredded everything underneath. It was bad news, so be careful when using chains.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='506436' date='Dec 13 2007, 12:21 PM
Move to the Sierra's or Tahoe of Northern California where it can accumulate in the feet within a few hours. Not only that, but because of the high moisture content in the snow in N. California, not only is it deep, but it is VERY slippery underneath. When I lived in Colorado, they never required chains, but that was because the snow was much more dry. CHP in California will not let you go through the pass without chains in your car if a storm warning is in effect. If the storm is in full effect and your nearing the pass, plan on pulling over and throwing those chains on. And if it's really bad, which happens every other year or so, they may even shut down the interstate, in which case, you're sleeping in your car or they'll come get you and you'll be forced to leave your car on the side of the road. If you have AWD or a 4x4 with good winter tires, they'll let you pass, but you still must have chains in the car no matter what. No chains = no going through the pass.

I've driven with chains before and it's ideal when trying to plow through 2 feet of snow on a major interstate, if you don't have AWD or a 4x4. However, the second the snow ends and you hit dry road, the chains must come off. A friend of ours kept her chains on her E39 540 Wagon coming down the pass one year from Tahoe. Once she hit dry pavement, she kept them on and kept going at normal speeds. The rear drivers side chain came apart and whipped around in the wheel well and shredded everything underneath. It was bad news, so be careful when using chains.
+1
When you get to the sign that says "chains only beyond this point" they mean it. I have seen guys with SUVs arguing with the Highway Patrol that they should let them through. The answer is always the same - sit in your car and maybe it will open in 8 hours or turn around and go back.....

When I go through the mountains in the winter I always take my X3 with snows and a set of chains.