E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Smoked sun/wind deflector

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered 550i ED on 9/24/05. Titanium silver, priority one seating (black), steptronic, sports package, premium sound system, active steering, comfort access, power rear sunshades, navigation, head up display, rear door air bag

First post for newbie. I have been reading posts for months now. Gained a lot of information. Waiting patiently for a 2006 545 (or 550?) while saving my money. I hate debt -- it's a four letter word for me.
I have seen so many pictures of the 5-series cars, but I can't recall seeing any with the smoked sun/wind deflector accessory. Is this not a good thing to add to the car? Also what about the rear spoiler? Does it ruin the classic lines of the car to the majority of BMW owners? Just curious.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, DUCKMAN Name:  00000732.gif
Views: 33
Size:  3.1 KB!
Old 10-31-2004, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i

Welcome aboard from me as well!
Old 10-31-2004, 08:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DUCKMAN' date='Oct 31 2004, 07:38 PM
First post for newbie.? I have been reading posts for months now.? Gained a lot of information.? Waiting patiently for a 2006 545 (or 550?) while saving my money.? I hate debt -- it's a four letter word for me.?
I have seen so many pictures of the 5-series cars, but I can't recall seeing any with the smoked sun/wind deflector accessory.? Is this not a good thing to add to the car?? Also what about the rear spoiler?? Does it ruin the classic lines of the car to the majority of BMW owners?? Just curious.
[snapback]51527[/snapback]
Welcome to the board. I think the wind deflector is a personal decisioin. I myself have never liked it on ANY car. Does nothing for the looks, probably has exposed screws, and generally looks like an add-on. There's no good way to make a wind deflector look "natural". IMO the rear spoiler is a matter of taste...though it's more acceptable, being body-colored. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Contributors

Welcome DUCKMAN, I had the sun/wind deflector on my previous car. After about 2 weeks with it on the car I took it off. I did not like the little wind noise that came in around the clips that held the front inside edge to the car. The other reason was the adhesive used for the rest of the deflector. Just the thought of that on my paint was enough for me! Good luck with your decission.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gomac' date='Oct 31 2004, 11:57 PM
Welcome DUCKMAN, I had the sun/wind deflector on my previous car. After about 2 weeks with it on the car I took it off. I did not like the little wind noise that came in around the clips that held the front inside edge to the car. The other reason was the adhesive used for the rest of the deflector. Just the thought of that on my paint was enough for me! Good luck with your decission.
[snapback]51647[/snapback]
Hmmm...didn't know that. So you're saying that all that's holding it down is the adhesive? At least that gives it a cleaner look...though I still don't like it.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' date='Nov 1 2004, 07:03 AM
[quote name='gomac' date='Oct 31 2004, 11:57 PM']Welcome DUCKMAN, I had the sun/wind deflector on my previous car. After about 2 weeks with it on the car I took it off. I did not like the little wind noise that came in around the clips that held the front inside edge to the car. The other reason was the adhesive used for the rest of the deflector. Just the thought of that on my paint was enough for me! Good luck with your decission.
[snapback]51647[/snapback]
Hmmm...didn't know that. So you're saying that all that's holding it down is the adhesive? At least that gives it a cleaner look...though I still don't like it.
[snapback]51650[/snapback]
[/quote]
There is an adhesive weather strip then a couple of clips that goes between the sunroof weather stripping that attach to small screws on the outside of the sunroof track. All of this is hidden to the normal observer but I did not like the thought of the adhesive nor the metal with the sunroof weather strippping going past each time it moves.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Contributors

Oops sorry I hit edit then added to my last Post.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:52 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, duckman ! i don't like the deflector as well <_<. but if you want to take a look at the spoiler, you can go to the gallery. some of the members have it done. btw, we have another "man" on the board . iceman, feel the pressure ?
Old 10-31-2004, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Quick Reply: Smoked sun/wind deflector