E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SIRIUS retrofit on 545i with NAV

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, gmmandrade !
Old 02-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, kschac !
Old 03-01-2005, 02:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 1970 2002tii Colorado Orange, 4spd - RTD 2002 525i, Toldeo Blue over Black Dakota Leather, PP, Nav, CD chgr (trunk mount), Step - RTD 2004 525i, Sapphire Black over Auburn Leather, PP, NAV, adaptive, Bluetooth, Sirius aftermarket (dying for the real thing!)

Originally Posted by gmmandrade' date='Feb 28 2005, 11:22 AM
This is my first post here, although I've been lurking for over a year. I have one of the 545's that was built during the period (May-04) when BMW would not allow Sat pre-wire any more for NAV-installed cars.

Anyway, after following this board religiously this whole time, and pestering my dealer every month, finally I have a service appointment on March 9 to get SIRIUS retrofit in my car. A BMW tech will come in to do my car, and supposedly I'll be the first SIRIUS retrofit on a NAV-installed E60 that will be done in this part of country (could be the dealer blowing smoke up my a... - trying to make me feel better for all the delays).

Keeping my fingers crossed, and will let you all know how it works out. Oh, my dealership is BMW of Greenwich, which has been outstanding so far, in all respects. I also did my ED through them.
[snapback]95257[/snapback]
Add me to the list of people who are anxiously waiting to hear what happens with your car. One questinn, was the BMW service tech coming out a product of you taking your issue up with Customer Relations, or did you just work it out at the dealehip level. The reason I ask is that I had the same issue with Bluetooth.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Members

My Ride: Euro Delivery (June 04) 545i Step, Saph Blk/Auburn, PDC, Premium Sound, NAV, Cold Weather Pkg, (SIRIUS soon, I hope!)

Originally Posted by 02toe60' date='Mar 1 2005, 07:38 AM
]

Add me to the list of people who are anxiously waiting to hear what happens with your car. One questinn, was the BMW service tech coming out a product of you taking your issue up with Customer Relations, or did you just work it out at the dealehip level. The reason I ask is that I had the same issue with Bluetooth.
[snapback]95540[/snapback]
Wow, didn't realize there were so many replies.

To answer your question, this was all done at the dealership level. Pretty much from the date that I ordered the car, in Feb-04, and was told the pre-wiring was no longer doable, I have been hounding my sales guy at BMW of Greenwich. He periodically follows up with the service department, and somehow this got escalated to BMW. I never even approached BMWNA, mostly because I've been following this and other boards, and have seen the futility of that route.

Regarding what they will actually do, I have no idea. Here is the fairly vague response I got to my question about specifics. I'll try to talk to the service rep at the dealership, but I'm skeptical he'll know.

"It will be done in one day, price I don?t know but if you ask the service
advisor to confirm with you he may have a better idea, once the BMW rep is
here, I really don?t think it is going to be ridiculous (...) You
may end up paying for a couple of hours labor, plus the radio, as it will take
longer for our tech to wire up the car than if it was at the factory."

Normally I'd be pretty worried about subjecting my car to a "speculative" and untried procedure, but it's a lease and under warranty, and I really want Sat radio, so why not?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by gmmandrade' date='Mar 2 2005, 11:20 AM
Normally I'd be pretty worried about subjecting my car to a "speculative" and untried procedure, but it's a lease and under warranty, and I really want Sat radio, so why not??
[snapback]96032[/snapback]
The only reason I can think of is if it becomes a labor nightmare and they try to stick you with a bill for more than the "2 hours" they loosely quoted you...
Old 03-03-2005, 11:40 AM
Members

Hi gmmandrade
March 9th is less than a week away.
You got a few people interested in your Serius installation with your Nav car with no pre-wiring at your Greenwich CT dealer. We are all pulling for you and hope they come through as promised. Please remember to post the final outcome since we would like to do the same. Thanks, and GOOD LUCK!
Netjazz
Old 03-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Members

My Ride: Euro Delivery (June 04) 545i Step, Saph Blk/Auburn, PDC, Premium Sound, NAV, Cold Weather Pkg, (SIRIUS soon, I hope!)

Originally Posted by netjazz' date='Mar 3 2005, 04:40 PM
Hi gmmandrade
March 9th is less than a week away.
You got a few people interested in your Serius installation with your Nav car with no pre-wiring at your Greenwich CT dealer. We are all pulling for you and hope they come through as promised.? Please remember to post the final outcome since we would like to do the same. Thanks, and GOOD LUCK!
Netjazz
[snapback]96734[/snapback]
I will make sure to post, not just the outcome, but assuming success, how much time and $ it took. And if there are parts involved, I'll try to get a copy of the work order.

Fingers crossed.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, gmmandrade !

welcome aboard, kschac !
Old 03-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Black Sapphire Metallic, NAV, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenon Headlamps, Heated Steering Wheel

i actually just had sirius retrofitted to my 04 530i w/ nav. it was prewired for it so the circumstances are different, but it was the 3rd time in the last 6 months that my dealer tried to do it and they were finally successful. posters from this board helped get it done!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Members

UPDATE:

So I dropped my car off this morning. One concern I had was that given it's an "experimental" process, they might fiddle with my car for hours, and kill me with labor costs. The guy at the dealership said that since it was the "Factory Tech" that was doing the service, they would just charge me the "flat fee" for getting sirius installed, which is $795 (I guess it's $595 for the receiver, and the rest for wiring, parts and labor). I was ok with that, especially since I'm guessing it's gonna take a lot of hours to get it to work.

The car should be ready by the end of today. I'll post the final results.

Any info on whether I'd still qualify for the 1st year free Sirius????

Quick Reply: SIRIUS retrofit on 545i with NAV