E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SIRIUS retrofit on 545i with NAV

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Euro Delivery (June 04) 545i Step, Saph Blk/Auburn, PDC, Premium Sound, NAV, Cold Weather Pkg, (SIRIUS soon, I hope!)

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking for over a year. I have one of the 545's that was built during the period (May-04) when BMW would not allow Sat pre-wire any more for NAV-installed cars.

Anyway, after following this board religiously this whole time, and pestering my dealer every month, finally I have a service appointment on March 9 to get SIRIUS retrofit in my car. A BMW tech will come in to do my car, and supposedly I'll be the first SIRIUS retrofit on a NAV-installed E60 that will be done in this part of country (could be the dealer blowing smoke up my a... - trying to make me feel better for all the delays).

Keeping my fingers crossed, and will let you all know how it works out. Oh, my dealership is BMW of Greenwich, which has been outstanding so far, in all respects. I also did my ED through them.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by gmmandrade' date='Feb 28 2005, 11:22 AM
A BMW tech will come in to do my car, and supposedly I'll be the first SIRIUS retrofit on a NAV-installed E60 that will be done in this part of country (could be the dealer blowing smoke up my a... - trying to make me feel better for all the delays).
[snapback]95257[/snapback]
Welcome!

I imagine you meant to add "without the pre-wiring option" since many of us have Sirius and Nav now.

Good luck! If you end up getting Sirius without the pre-wirning, I'm there will be many happy campers here and around the country!!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Members

My Ride: Euro Delivery (June 04) 545i Step, Saph Blk/Auburn, PDC, Premium Sound, NAV, Cold Weather Pkg, (SIRIUS soon, I hope!)

[Welcome!

I imagine you meant to add "without the pre-wiring option" since many of us have Sirius and Nav now.

Good luck! If you end up getting Sirius without the pre-wirning, I'm there will be many happy campers here and around the country!!
[snapback]95285[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, sorry about that. You're right, the point is my car has no pre-wiring. Supposedly that's what the BMW tech will do, ie, work around the lack of pre-wiring, which is why it's scheduled for that specific day. I think he's going to "train" the dealership service staff on my car......
Old 02-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

This is great news if they can pull it off! I was wondering what BMW was going to do to correct this obvious screw-up (when they stopped allowing people to order pre-wiring for a few months.)
Old 02-28-2005, 09:32 AM
sj3
Senior Members

"Rachel" at BMWNA says it's something the engineers are working on and would be out "very shortly." She then said "very soon" and then "within a month or two."

She didn't have visibility on what exact stage of development/qa/release it was in or order of region deployment.

Sam
1:30 p.m. est
Old 02-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Senior Members

It's amazing that your dealer told you they could do it without the pre-wiring like mine doesn't have. I was at the consumer electronics show in Las Vegas in January and met both the Sirius rep for BMW and the head of BMWNA engineering who heads up this sat radio issue in BMWNA.

The BMW guy told me that without the pre-wiring, they'd have to rip apart huge amounts of the car, from the shark fin to install the antenna, through the water proofing around that, the whole headliner, and all kinds of other parts that just would be prohibitive cost and quality wise to perform.

If they will do it, please let us know how and how much.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe they've come up with an alternative that doesn't use the shark fin? Either way, I think BMW should eat the cost for anyone where they changed the order and deleted the pre-wiring...
Old 02-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Members

Looking forward to see if BMW Greenwich can do it without pre-wiring. Almost sounds to good to be true, so I hope they actually come through for you.
I am also an owner of a June '04 build 545ia they built without the pre-wiring that I ordered.I originally had the wiring in my March "04 build, that I only had for a few hours before it became a total wreck in Germany during my European Delivery. BMW would not put the pre-wiring in the replacement car. To bad, a feature I really wanted.
Please keep us posted . Extremly interested. I'm not far from that dealer.
Netjazz
Old 02-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Members

I am in the same situation - ordered Sat prep for an ED 545i, late May 04 build date, and couldn't get it. I also live near your dealer and so could easily have mine done there if indeed it can be done. Keep us advised.

Long time lurker, first post for me too.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard kschac!

Quick Reply: SIRIUS retrofit on 545i with NAV