E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Singh Autosport Software Trial Offer - NorCal

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1047660' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:06 AM
I'm commenting based on my recollection of what Eloy at RPI told me. It's a misconception for people to think that just because it's colder now or colder where they live that the aFe would work better. Regardless of what the temp is outside, your temp in the engine bay is a lot hotter so the aFe is still sucking in hotter air than what's available outside. A stock airbox would have colder air so it'll still be more beneficial. Example, if it's 50 degrees outside but 80 degrees under the hood, a stock airbox is probably getting the 50 degrees air while the aFe is getting the 80 degrees air. If you it's warmer outside, it'll just be incrementally warmer under the hood.

In your situation, you're probably making more power with the aFe compared to how it was in the summer but not compared to using a stock box, or a stock box with the RPI scoops.

As for the Singh tune, I believe most software accounts for intake air flow and allows the ECU to supply the right amount of fuel to maximize power.
Thanks for the clarification Tony, I know that makes sense that since the stock air box is enclosed it will be sucking cold air from the outside, especially with the rpi scoop and drop in K&N filter. However, I noticed that in the winter with the AFE intake the car felt faster, I don't know why but my rpms would rev up faster and my car pulled harder in the mid-range to top end rpm levels. I also noticed that the rpi scoop also helped a little bit in shoving cold air to the AFE. In the summer however I felt a substantial loss in power with the AFE intake and put my stock airbox back in. I know this is all subjective but I can really feel a difference with the AFE during the winter. Once I get the tune tomorrow I'll swap the air box with the AFE to see if the tune will help the AFE at all, and I will report back whether I notice any difference in power with the AFE over the Stock box with the K&N filter.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy' post='1047680' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the clarification Tony, I know that makes sense that since the stock air box is enclosed it will be sucking cold air from the outside, especially with the rpi scoop and drop in K&N filter. However, I noticed that in the winter with the AFE intake the car felt faster, I don't know why but my rpms would rev up faster and my car pulled harder in the mid-range to top end rpm levels. I also noticed that the rpi scoop also helped a little bit in shoving cold air to the AFE. In the summer however I felt a substantial loss in power with the AFE intake and put my stock airbox back in. I know this is all subjective but I can really feel a difference with the AFE during the winter. Once I get the tune tomorrow I'll swap the air box with the AFE to see if the tune will help the AFE at all, and I will report back whether I notice any difference in power with the AFE over the Stock box with the K&N filter.
To clarify, in the winter, you notice the aFe felt faster compared to having the stock box in the winter as well or compared to when you had the aFe in the summer? There's a difference in what you're comparing.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1047687' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:30 AM
To clarify, in the winter, you notice the aFe felt faster compared to having the stock box in the winter as well or compared to when you had the aFe in the summer? There's a difference in what you're comparing.
Yea in the winter I noticed the AFE felt faster compared to the stock air box w/k&n, however, for the summer it was the exact opposite as the Stock airbox felt like it produced more power over the AFE CAI. I think it's mainly because during the winter the engine bay is much cooler than during the summer. This is all subjective I never got a dyno done yet, I just want the most performance from my car possible
Old 11-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1047382' date='Nov 4 2009, 08:34 PM
I can definitely ask Jags if he's willing to do other regions.

BTW, I made a mistake on the pricing for the 535 above. It's actually $1395.
big one!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Contributors

No one interested in this??
Old 11-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy' post='1047680' date='Nov 4 2009, 11:25 PM
Your engine will always run at the normal operating temperature so the thought that it runs better in the cold is not really accurate. Just because its cold and winter time, doesnt mean your engine will run at a lower operating temperature. Engine temps are controlled by the cars cooling system which goes on and off to moderate the temps.

If anyone in so cal jumps on this tune, I would love to dyno the car before/after.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1048560' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:31 AM
No one interested in this??
I'm actually very intrested if the tune is 550 for the 545
Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ESexy' post='1048936' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:34 AM
I'm actually very intrested if the tune is 550 for the 545
Yep, that's the price. Sign up. We need to meet the minimum number of cars to make their time worthwhile and to get the discounted rate.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Members

My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

How about a test day in SoCal, say Orange county, so those of us from San Diego and LA can see for ourselves. I'm interested in a 545 tune myself.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by top6491' post='1049041' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:50 PM
How about a test day in SoCal, say Orange county, so those of us from San Diego and LA can see for ourselves. I'm interested in a 545 tune myself.
They did one recently at EuroRev: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...t=0&start=0

PM John@EuroRev to see if they can do it again.

Quick Reply: Singh Autosport Software Trial Offer - NorCal