E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60

get it for the price

or dont

:l

...dont see y u felt the need to bitch about it

its a want not a need

take 2 steps back and to the left towards another exhaust system
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

OP, might want to start another thread asking for 535 members with RPI exhausts to posts their experiences....this thread has gone a bit OT

Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
^^^^Just remember PTL - "Don't ask, Don't tell"

im a scout, we do gay shit all the time lol

we have a squadron tiarra and earings with a wand with a star on it for the "window licker" of the month
Old 04-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
Carlos forgives you
Attachment 104758
LOL
Attached Thumbnails Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?-the_hangover01.jpg  
Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer
LOL

OMFG!!

lol can you make that into a sig for me?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Members

My Ride: Current: '08 535i Recent BMW: '95 M3 (swapped) Engine- Swapped '95 S50 with '99 S52 3.2L bored/stroked to 3.3L, kept OBD1 JE Pistons (9.0:1 compression ratio) Pauter connecting rods Schrick Camshafts Vortech V2 w/ custom bypass valve RMS Aftercooler Head modifications Ported and Polished, large valve springs and retainers, Valves Yes, but don't know name Valve springs Yes, but don't know name Retainers Yes, but don't know name Electromotive TEC III stand alone engine management, tuned by Vic Sias of Sias Tuning S50 Intake manifold Dinan Throttle Body 42lb Fuel injectors Custom RMS air intake RMS Header Custom header-back exhaust Quad exit rolled tips, polished exhaust High flow catalytic converter NGK Spark plugs B&M short shift kit Centerforce Dual Friction clutch Odyssey PC 680 Lightweight Battery Exterior- House of Kolor Moondust Silver Custom 1.5" flares molded into body Trim painted and molded into fender flares Dresmann body kit from Germany (front bumper, sideskirts, rear bumper) Kerscher 3 piece CF spoiler - imported from Germany CF side mirrors DTM Authaus CF vented hood Lighting- Gourmet Garage HID's Umnitza Angel Eyes OEM Euro tails Clear corners Interior- Seats Sparco Torino Alcantara door panel inserts silver Brand new OEM ///M3 floor mats Carbon Fiber interior trim pieces Autometer Pro-Comp Boost Gauge Autometer Pro-Comp AFR Gauge New silver/black ///M3 shift knob Custom trunk floor with amps mounted in bottom OMP Racing black suede steering wheel Valentine One hardwire kit/windshield mount Car Audio- Eclipse Head Unit (w/ sub control) Two Diamond Audio Amplifiers Diamond Audio mids, highs in car Two 15" Diamond Audio free air Subs in trunk Street Wires wiring Wheels/Tires, Brakes Front wheels 19x8.5 BBS CH wrapped in 245/35/19 Yokahama AVS Rear wheels 19x9.5 BBS CH wrapped in 275/30/19 Yokohama AVS Stainless Steel brake lines New PBR Metal Master pads in front (less than 500mi) HP Racing 15" Rotor HP Racing 8 Piston Caliper Suspension components- Front springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Coilovers (adjustable) Bilstein front dampers Rear springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Cupkit (adjustable) Bilstein rear dampers Total lowering (inches) (front) 1-3" Front RD Adjustable Sway bar Rear RD Adjustable Sway bar Sparco Front strut brace (adjustable) Energy Bushings NuFormz Chassis reinforcements (custom) Powerflex (brand new less than 1K miles)

Thanks for the replies. Read em all and there are valid points. Appreciate the feedback.

So, I suppose economies of scale don't apply to RPI because volume isn't there?

My guesstimate is that break even on RPI's R&D likely came after they sold the first 20-30 of these, max.

If you found out the hard costs on the RPI system were $500-700, would you still feel the same way? Anyone worth their salt knows that raw materials on this setup don't warrant this price tag. However, RPI has a right to charge whatever the F$%# they want....er, whatever the consumer will pay.

Just for clarification, I'm not cheap. And I'm the biggest advocate of capitalism you'll find (I'm a business owner myself). Yet, my question stems from the sticker shock I experienced when I saw the price. Opportunity cost would likely push me to another performance part before sending a check to RPI....at this point.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E36M3
Thanks for the replies. Read em all and there are valid points. Appreciate the feedback.

So, I suppose economies of scale don't apply to RPI because volume isn't there?

My guesstimate is that break even on RPI's R&D likely came after they sold the first 20-30 of these, max.

If you found out the hard costs on the RPI system were $500-700, would you still feel the same way? Anyone worth their salt knows that raw materials on this setup don't warrant this price tag. However, RPI has a right to charge whatever the F$%# they want....er, whatever the consumer will pay.

Just for clarification, I'm not cheap. And I'm the biggest advocate of capitalism you'll find (I'm a business owner myself). Yet, my question stems from the sticker shock I experienced when I saw the price. Opportunity cost would likely push me to another performance part before sending a check to RPI....at this point.

Sorry but unless you have done manufacturing then you really dont have any understanding of the cost of it. People think companies get a return of their initial investment relatively early on and that is hardly the case.

Raw materials have gone up considerably in the last 10 years, almost 1000% in some fields.

On some of my fathers products, we had to sell nearly 1000 pieces before we would get any money back, in a niche market, that is highly tight wadded.

t-304 and other metals that comprise this system is not cheap by any means, factor in the molding process to make the shapes clear the underneath of the car, now factor in the other gear used to produce it with performance gains

You are talking about hundreds of pieces that they have to scrap before they find the correct version. All at a loss mind you.

What I will state is that the price is in fact MSRP, and nobody likes to pay that, especially me. I think only suckers pay full MSRP on anything.

So give RPI a jingle or talk to a vendor who sells RPI and see what kind of a discount they might be able to give you if you are genuinely interested in this exhaust.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Contributors

http://www.meps.co.uk/Stainless%20Prices.htm

t-304 prices

all 304, hot coil, plate etc are all above $2500 per metric ton

how much t-304 do they use in each exhaust? in each production exhaust? in each prototype exhaust?

that is a huge amount of money just for the material, not even including the bending, welding and shaping process which requires other expensive equipment.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Maybe Big E can chime in, but if I recall correctly, while I was there at RPI, I heard that each of their exhaust system is hand-made.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

lol

Quick Reply: Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?