E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

this isn't a freaking honda... its the price you pay, and its always been this way. if you don't like it deal with it.

you obviously don't understand that the market for modding BMW's is much less then modding cheap imports so each exhaust has to be priced a bit higher then you would expect from a cheap car with tons of people modding them. most bmw's on the road never see a mod in their life. For a manufacturer to take on a R&D project it has to be worth their time therefore the product is priced accordingly to the demand of the product and the cost to develop the product and mass produce it.

how do you think people with M5's feel paying 3,400 for an axel back... not even a full catback? lol it is what it is my friend hate it or love it
Old 05-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

WTF was I when this thread blew up???

FWIW - I've done the whole exhaust upgrade about 10 years ago on the Camaro. Bought most of my parts from a company called SLP, which is in NJ. They used to be strictly GM but expanded to other car brands. I don't think anyone here who may have bought their parts would disagree when I say they are both high quality and expensive compared to other, more popular brands.

If I remember correctly, the total cost to purchase and install a set of street legal headers, Y-pipe, I-pipe, and OTA pipe was slightly below one grand - this didn't include the aftermakret cat/conv, muffler, and custom tailpipes I got elsewhere. Add about another $500 for that.

Last time I checked their website, their headers alone cost almost double what I paid back then. A full blown exhaust would probably be in the ballpark that the OP quoted RPI's price. With that being said, I disagree with anyone who thinks 2k for an exhaust upgrade is expensive or not worth it. In fact, based on some of the good comments I've read - its probably a bargain.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Contributors

CampioniShop makes me want to Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?-puke.jpg.w300h225.jpg
Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Epic thread in progress, bumping for epicness
Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Members

Entertaining thread.

If it makes 10HP and they want to charge $2400. Good for them. People will pay it. Who cares if people want to whine about it. It's a business, this isn't a honda market and since you are looking at selling maybe a hundred systems a year.. Makes total sense. They probably make $2k an exhaust. None of this stuff is that expensive to manufacture. I'm sure that helps keep the doors open.

Our M5 proto exhaust (see sig) in just the first 2 sections did +8HP and +24 TQ over stock without raising the total volume of the exhaust more then 25%, if I were to quantify what that should be worth compared to other systems on the market, you can bet it wont be cheap and it wont have anything to do with what it costs to build it. But then again I show everyone how to build it so I dont really care if I make money on it or not.

Bottom line - good for them. If you dont want to support them, then dont.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Members

My Ride: Current: '08 535i Recent BMW: '95 M3 (swapped) Engine- Swapped '95 S50 with '99 S52 3.2L bored/stroked to 3.3L, kept OBD1 JE Pistons (9.0:1 compression ratio) Pauter connecting rods Schrick Camshafts Vortech V2 w/ custom bypass valve RMS Aftercooler Head modifications Ported and Polished, large valve springs and retainers, Valves Yes, but don't know name Valve springs Yes, but don't know name Retainers Yes, but don't know name Electromotive TEC III stand alone engine management, tuned by Vic Sias of Sias Tuning S50 Intake manifold Dinan Throttle Body 42lb Fuel injectors Custom RMS air intake RMS Header Custom header-back exhaust Quad exit rolled tips, polished exhaust High flow catalytic converter NGK Spark plugs B&M short shift kit Centerforce Dual Friction clutch Odyssey PC 680 Lightweight Battery Exterior- House of Kolor Moondust Silver Custom 1.5" flares molded into body Trim painted and molded into fender flares Dresmann body kit from Germany (front bumper, sideskirts, rear bumper) Kerscher 3 piece CF spoiler - imported from Germany CF side mirrors DTM Authaus CF vented hood Lighting- Gourmet Garage HID's Umnitza Angel Eyes OEM Euro tails Clear corners Interior- Seats Sparco Torino Alcantara door panel inserts silver Brand new OEM ///M3 floor mats Carbon Fiber interior trim pieces Autometer Pro-Comp Boost Gauge Autometer Pro-Comp AFR Gauge New silver/black ///M3 shift knob Custom trunk floor with amps mounted in bottom OMP Racing black suede steering wheel Valentine One hardwire kit/windshield mount Car Audio- Eclipse Head Unit (w/ sub control) Two Diamond Audio Amplifiers Diamond Audio mids, highs in car Two 15" Diamond Audio free air Subs in trunk Street Wires wiring Wheels/Tires, Brakes Front wheels 19x8.5 BBS CH wrapped in 245/35/19 Yokahama AVS Rear wheels 19x9.5 BBS CH wrapped in 275/30/19 Yokohama AVS Stainless Steel brake lines New PBR Metal Master pads in front (less than 500mi) HP Racing 15" Rotor HP Racing 8 Piston Caliper Suspension components- Front springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Coilovers (adjustable) Bilstein front dampers Rear springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Cupkit (adjustable) Bilstein rear dampers Total lowering (inches) (front) 1-3" Front RD Adjustable Sway bar Rear RD Adjustable Sway bar Sparco Front strut brace (adjustable) Energy Bushings NuFormz Chassis reinforcements (custom) Powerflex (brand new less than 1K miles)

Originally Posted by crmb
Entertaining thread.

If it makes 10HP and they want to charge $2400. Good for them. People will pay it.Bottom line - good for them.

.....and we come full circle. Surprise, surprise. haha
Old 05-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

If I could find a good, quality, & proven exhaust for my car I'd gladly pay $2400. Unfortunately, any that fit that requirement are $3000+. Sigh..

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Entertaining thread.

If it makes 10HP and they want to charge $2400. Good for them. People will pay it. Who cares if people want to whine about it. It's a business, this isn't a honda market and since you are looking at selling maybe a hundred systems a year.. Makes total sense. They probably make $2k an exhaust. None of this stuff is that expensive to manufacture. I'm sure that helps keep the doors open.

Our M5 proto exhaust (see sig) in just the first 2 sections did +8HP and +24 TQ over stock without raising the total volume of the exhaust more then 25%, if I were to quantify what that should be worth compared to other systems on the market, you can bet it wont be cheap and it wont have anything to do with what it costs to build it. But then again I show everyone how to build it so I dont really care if I make money on it or not.

Bottom line - good for them. If you dont want to support them, then dont.
I wish I made $2k on them. lol. Thats why we discontued them. It aint cheap and there is no margin
Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Members

You are getting screwed then. Give me a call sometime, we can solve that for you.

Originally Posted by RPIpower
I wish I made $2k on them. lol. Thats why we discontued them. It aint cheap and there is no margin
Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

You are getting screwed then. Give me a call sometime, we can solve that for you.
Since we make the exhausts at our warehouse, we cant screw ourselves. Im going by cost of parts and payroll.

Quick Reply: Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?