E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sent my Quad tips off to Powder Coat @ Elite Coating

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
Elite actually informed me that exhaust components, even exhaust tips cannot be powdercoated successfully. They will get damaged over time from the intense heat.
Not so sure about that. My RPI exhaust has been powdercoated black for a long time now and no issues. I've had the car up on the lift and everything from the cans to the tips are still like new. And let's not forget that my exhaust gets pretty damn hot.

I love my PC'ed exhaust. I get compliments on it all the time and how nice of a contrast it is with my car. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Not so sure about that. My RPI exhaust has been powdercoated black for a long time now and no issues. I've had the car up on the lift and everything from the cans to the tips are still like new. And let's not forget that my exhaust gets pretty damn hot.

I love my PC'ed exhaust. I get compliments on it all the time and how nice of a contrast it is with my car. I highly recommend it.
This is what they recommended to me. By no means am I an expert or anything like that on the subject, . Maybe your exhaust was ceramic coated to begin with. I think the process is similar anyway.

I do agree that the powdercoated exhaust makes a big difference. Its the last piece of chrome on my car,

Maybe Elite Coatings can chime in and clarify.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

maybe they missed a process on my poor tips.. youll see at the meet, i dont scrub them, nothing! i always rinsed the salt off even when we had bad weather! i dont get it.. whatever, mine look like shit, plain and simple, but it still sounds bad ass so i can live with it for now. I will have to get it done soon though.

its funny i looked at it, parts of the chrome popping out underneath look shiny and brand new, which makes me think that they werent sanded or anything, just kinda baked on i guess.. w.e. you guys check them out at the meet
Old 05-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

We need pix
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Contributors

sorry guys about the delay. I did get the tips and wasnt too crazy about the white lip, so I told them to go all black. I actually just got my quads down today and if I have time tomorrow post sum pics.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

still could have taken pics for us to see

-_-
Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
Maybe your exhaust was ceramic coated to begin with. I think the process is similar anyway.
I don't believe RPI coats their exhausts in ceramic. I had a really good job done on mine.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by melimel
maybe they missed a process on my poor tips.. youll see at the meet, i dont scrub them, nothing! i always rinsed the salt off even when we had bad weather! i dont get it.. whatever, mine look like shit, plain and simple, but it still sounds bad ass so i can live with it for now. I will have to get it done soon though.

its funny i looked at it, parts of the chrome popping out underneath look shiny and brand new, which makes me think that they werent sanded or anything, just kinda baked on i guess.. w.e. you guys check them out at the meet
Your tips should have had all of the chrome removed by blasting.

I just had mine done a few weeks back with a black satin finish and they look awesome. Mine were blasted clean first then coated. Time will tell if the powder coating will hold up, but so far so good.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Members

Hey guys sorry i missed this thread but we did test to see how hot the tips were getting and found them to only be around 130 degrees which is acceptable for powder. I sill reccomend ceramic instead just to be safe but since the colors are limited powder will still work for some applications.

Merimel I did not do your tips but it sounds like whoever did did not mediablast them first to remove the chrome. If you would like to get them redone give me a call. We will remove the powdercoat then mediablast them to bare metal and coat them. Mediablasting insures proper adhesion to the part so you wont have flaking issues like your having now.