E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Self made ram air

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your thoughts on this???

http://postimage.org/image/b1wv3kjxv/
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545MMM
Your thoughts on this???

http://postimage.org/image/b1wv3kjxv/

Fantastic idea keeps all engine bay heat from the intake filter being used! this with the ram air would be awesome! I like it is this your setup?

Now the only thing I can say about using filters that are aftermarket and I've read many comparisons of different types of filters the points they make are

He first thing I've read is that free flow filter will flow better when new then when they get dirty they flow the same as paper filters.....my response: you can clean the filter to restore better flow characteristics again

The second thing I read was that they let more dirt particles to the engine .......my response is if the filters micron rating is higher in other words it lets bigger particles through its obvious more dirt will pass to the engine

And the third thing that they add absolutely no hp compared to stock filters......I believe they will add more hp under the right conditions like using ram air......and giving the computer time to learn new air fuel mixtures. I don't believe that you can find the difference in filters by throwing them in back to back on a dyno and doing 3 runs on each filter in 1 day!

I want to get the bmc filter and see if it makes a difference compared to the stock paper filter I'm using.....I'm sure with the pipe ram air plus a higher flowing filter it could make a difference!

Just want to say this is just opinion and I could be completely wrong about everything I wrote, which is just basic knowledge and common sense from my point of view.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Members

dont know but its ideling and driving realllllly badly!

do you think the new filter could be suffercating it?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Senior Members

dont know but its ideling and driving realllllly badly!

do you think the new filter could be suffercating it?
If i was you I would take it out and put the original one back and see what happens, its the only way to be sure its the filter causing it!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Members

im at work so couldnt put the stock one back in, but took the pod out and ran it with no filter, and the car runs muchhh better! im thinking the size of the pod filter as its a smaller sized one to fit the box, it might be strangeling it?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

You can't run the car without a filter......before I put the tube in I would find sand and leaves in my air box if the goes into your engine you r done!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

im at work so couldnt put the stock one back in, but took the pod out and ran it with no filter, and the car runs muchhh better! im thinking the size of the pod filter as its a smaller sized one to fit the box, it might be strangeling it?
Seems weird that the filter is causing that problem....I have no idea what's wrong with that filter?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

continueing with the testing Ill be driving from NY to Ohio again.....My first trip in June of 2011 yielded me 25.2-25.5 mpg posted here https://5series.net/forums/topic/113...1#entry1348975, my last trip coming back ((first time with the ram air)a month ago saw 25.3 mpg with the first tank and 27 mpg with the second fillup after the ram air was installed over a 650 mile trip. Today Im leaving again to Ohio and be recording the mpg. All my other trips were over night driving today will be daytime driving and Im sure to hit traffic.....but I should be there by 11pm or less hopefully. Ill be posting results once I get there
Old 09-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

Well I got some more results just As a note I was carrying 130 lbs more in the car, tires pressure was the same, I ended with 27.6 mpg arriving at my destination, that is .6 better even with the 130 increase in weight....I'm sure if I had the same weight in the car I'd been above 28mpg the computer has adapted to the increased airflow! So my first 650 mile trip gave me 27mpg and even with an increase in weight I still gained another .6 over the original 27 mpg I'm very happy with the functionality of my ram air.

So I'm gonna estimate 3mpg increase from 25.3 to over 28!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

one last test to show the flow into the airbox

Quick Reply: Self made ram air