E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Security Steering Wheel Bar - Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007 | 01:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

I am looking for a Security Steering Wheel Bar to fit on my car to add a bit of further visual deterrent - it is an M Sport model so it has to fit over the 'thicker' Steering Wheel.

Interested what other people have tried / are using, particularly here in the UK.

I have tried a few so far including the Stoplock Pro (which I have used in the past and found to be excellent) but this will not comfortably fit over the steering wheel. I have also tried the Halfords 4Tress Steering Bar. Again, a good piece of kit, and like the Stoplock Pro will physically go over the steering wheel but is so tight that it will groove the leather if left for a period of time or used frequently.

I did not really want to start using one of the disklock types as these are a little heavy and awkward to handle and store in the boot (slide around all over).

Interested to hear from others!
Old 08-06-2007 | 02:06 AM
Members

Haven't got my 535d yet (on order), but personally I would only recommend Disklock. They are the only kind of steering wheel security devices that really work, the others are removed in seconds...

I agree with it being heavy / awkward, I've been using one on my Lancer Evo for around 4 years, I tuck mine under the driver seat in the Evo, but I don't think that'd work in the e60? Suggest you get a tie down net for the boot and go for the disklock if you're going to do anything.

Barry
Old 08-06-2007 | 02:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='455740' date='Aug 6 2007, 04:18 AM
I am looking for a Security Steering Wheel Bar to fit on my car to add a bit of further visual deterrent - it is an M Sport model so it has to fit over the 'thicker' Steering Wheel.

Interested what other people have tried / are using, particularly here in the UK.

I have tried a few so far including the Stoplock Pro (which I have used in the past and found to be excellent) but this will not comfortably fit over the steering wheel. I have also tried the Halfords 4Tress Steering Bar. Again, a good piece of kit, and like the Stoplock Pro will physically go over the steering wheel but is so tight that it will groove the leather if left for a period of time or used frequently.

I did not really want to start using one of the disklock types as these are a little heavy and awkward to handle and store in the boot (slide around all over).

Interested to hear from others!
I don't think it makes a difference with a security steering wheel bar, unless you are worried that the thief might steal your steering or air-bag The E60 is virtually 'unstealable' unless they tow it or carjack. So, you'd probably be better off buying CDs, with the money for the steering lock. Anyway, thats my $0.02 worth.
Old 08-06-2007 | 03:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cocy00' post='455747' date='Aug 6 2007, 04:09 AM
I don't think it makes a difference with a security steering wheel bar, unless you are worried that the thief might steal your steering or air-bag The E60 is virtually 'unstealable' unless they tow it or carjack. So, you'd probably be better off buying CDs, with the money for the steering lock. Anyway, thats my $0.02 worth.
+1. Car thieves know what cars to target, even "opportunists". You are more likely to be car jacked or have somebody break in to your home and steal the keys, than to have them smash a window and try and steal it using conventional methods.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste money on something like that on this type of car.
Old 08-06-2007 | 04:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='455760' date='Aug 6 2007, 07:21 AM
+1. Car thieves know what cars to target, even "opportunists". You are more likely to be car jacked or have somebody break in to your home and steal the keys, than to have them smash a window and try and steal it using conventional methods.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste money on something like that on this type of car.
+2 Even if a thief gets into your car within a short period of time he can cut the steering wheel with a hack saw and remove the sreering wheel lock. IMO steering wheel locks are things of the past, not even a deterrent any more. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 08-06-2007 | 09:49 PM
Senior Members

hahahaha I am sorry but I have to laugh about "THE CLUB" security lock for the steering wheel. I worked in a body shop for a few years and we have seen "the club" cars stolen just like the rest. With the safety features built into the steering wheel to collapse on impact. We tested this out and the quickest way to steal a car w/ the club is using bolt cutters. Hacksaws take a lot longer than a quick snip of the bolt cutters. Don't waste your money... put it like this. The only way to not have your car stolen is to not own one. Any car can be stolen and the club will stop the armature thief from joy ridding your car if you left the keys in the car.
Old 08-07-2007 | 01:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='455773' date='Aug 6 2007, 07:41 AM
+2 Even if a thief gets into your car within a short period of time he can cut the steering wheel with a hack saw and remove the sreering wheel lock. IMO steering wheel locks are things of the past, not even a deterrent any more. Good luck
cheers
vern
Tell you guys something which is funny but not funny to me I had a E36 which was stolen when I went golfing. Had a cheapo steering lock (It was 1995). There I was happily going to my car after finishing my round with the first and only eagle in my life and tadahhh.... behold my steering wheel and the lock still attached was at the spot where my bimmer used to be. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry... the thieves even brought their own steering wheel....
Old 08-07-2007 | 12:19 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by cocy00' post='456095' date='Aug 7 2007, 02:42 AM
Tell you guys something which is funny but not funny to me I had a E36 which was stolen when I went golfing. Had a cheapo steering lock (It was 1995). There I was happily going to my car after finishing my round with the first and only eagle in my life and tadahhh.... behold my steering wheel and the lock still attached was at the spot where my bimmer used to be. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry... the thieves even brought their own steering wheel....
that sucks to hear. its pretty interesting what things some people would do to steal.

a friend and i were joking a while back about what to do to make the car "unstealable" while i bought something from him. take out the accelerator pedal since its only one screw and one attachment in the back of it. what would you think if you tried to steal a car and it had no accelerator?
Old 08-07-2007 | 09:39 PM
Senior Members

For the amature thief, yes that would throw them a curve. When I was working at the body shop we had 30 stolen cars end there for insurance and FBI inspection since the shop was 45K sqft we had extra lifts and a huge lot. All the VIN's were ground off and they had to acid brush the block and frame to expose the vins. For those who have never heard of this, vins are stamped which forge's the metal, the acid will cause the vin to display kinda like rubbing a pencil on a piece of paper which was below one that was written on.

We were talking with the detectives on the case and they said that this crew used flatbeds to steal the cars because most people would not question them when a car was getting picked up by a truck. Looked like there was an issue w/ the car and it was getting fixed. So if your car wants to be stolen then it will.

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='456268' date='Aug 7 2007, 03:19 PM
that sucks to hear. its pretty interesting what things some people would do to steal.

a friend and i were joking a while back about what to do to make the car "unstealable" while i bought something from him. take out the accelerator pedal since its only one screw and one attachment in the back of it. what would you think if you tried to steal a car and it had no accelerator?
Old 08-07-2007 | 10:03 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='456433' date='Aug 7 2007, 10:39 PM
We were talking with the detectives on the case and they said that this crew used flatbeds to steal the cars because most people would not question them when a car was getting picked up by a truck. Looked like there was an issue w/ the car and it was getting fixed. So if your car wants to be stolen then it will.
smart...