E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seat Occupancy Control Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Actually, 3 wires appears to be correct for our US cars. I got a response back from a UK member that has installed a bypass unit, and from what is being discussed, their equipment is different than ours'. They appear to have the two wire plus the black sensor box.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Jonsmilez
If it's software, is there a code that we can reset through ncs expert!?
At least if we could trouble shoot the software and it doesnt work, then it might me hardware.

Balbs what did you try coding that didn't work?
Unfortunately, I don't do coding. I bought the stuff but haven't had the time to mess with it. If I did, I would try disabling the sensor and re-enabling to reset it.

Simon, weren't you having battery issues awhile back? I replaced my battery a few months ago and my idrive airbag error while it occasionally still shows up, it's not as much as before I replaced the battery. Actually, it's significantly less!

Thinking more on it, if I can use INPA or NCS Expert, I would look into doing the airbag sensor and\or even the OC3 matt reset now with the new battery in.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Contributors

Well here's the weird thing, when I check for error in INPA, it's showing there's no error (at least today). I really have no clue to what's going on and why I can't clear it. I am going to go to SolelyBimmer tomorrow and have them use Autologic to see if it can clear it.

Also, I tried to use Bimtronics device to the power plug to the OC3 sensor, but still no bueno. I am probably going to return it. Those bastards at Bimtronics. Shouldn't be advertising it unless they actually know it works and is compatible.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Yay, more complications.

First of all, gotta give props to Chad and Freddy at SolelyBimmer. The guys are always friendly and helpful. Their Autologic unit is sent away getting update, so we had to use GT1.

Tried to clear/delete the error code, but it was persistent and wouldn't go away. After a diagnostic, we found something morbidly surprising. GT1 reports that I am having driver side seat occupancy sensor fault. Here's the problem, the 5 series driver side does not have this, only in the 7 series. So what we are going to try to do is to code and re-initiate the ACSM after they get the Autologic back, as GT1 takes a long time, and cannot code specific module without coding the whole vehicle.

Also, as a note, I was told that even with the passenger restraint error, in the event of an accident, all airbags will deploy. Basically the sensor is there in place to prevent airbags from deploying when it doesn't need to. When there's a problem, it falls back on dummy mode for safety.

Which means that all the bypass modules that are out there, they are not really simulating squat. They're just error cancelers. Essentially a boxed resistor/diodes.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Yay, more complications.

First of all, gotta give props to Chad and Freddy at SolelyBimmer. The guys are always friendly and helpful. Their Autologic unit is sent away getting update, so we had to use GT1.

Tried to clear/delete the error code, but it was persistent and wouldn't go away. After a diagnostic, we found something morbidly surprising. GT1 reports that I am having driver side seat occupancy sensor fault. Here's the problem, the 5 series driver side does not have this, only in the 7 series. So what we are going to try to do is to code and re-initiate the ACSM after they get the Autologic back, as GT1 takes a long time, and cannot code specific module without coding the whole vehicle.

Also, as a note, I was told that even with the passenger restraint error, in the event of an accident, all airbags will deploy. Basically the sensor is there in place to prevent airbags from deploying when it doesn't need to. When there's a problem, it falls back on dummy mode for safety.

Which means that all the bypass modules that are out there, they are not really simulating squat. They're just error cancelers. Essentially a boxed resistor/diodes.
theres a link I posted earlier in this thread of someone who made their own "simulator" for couple of bucks at radio shack. Not sure how the third wire comes into play for the e60
Old 06-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Contributors

Yah, I have seen a few links, but none for our 3 wired OC3 sensor mat.

Hopefully I can get a little bit more information with the Autologic unit and find out exactly what the error is.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Contributors

So uh... I somehow magically fixed my problem via coding. Apparently it's some software gremlin that wacked itself out, and after messing with it this morning I am now error free
Old 06-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Contributors

Sweet dude! So what coding did you do? Keep us updated and let us know if it's still okay after a month. If it is, I would like to make an appointment with you.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Well, to be honest, though I fixed mine, I can't guarantee other people's can be fixed the same way. After all, I have tried so many different things, it's hard to say if it was a combination of things, and I simply got lucky this morning.

In short though, I basically re-initiated the entire airbag module. I actually screwed with the trace and man file so much that I figure it would be better to code it entirely back to factory. And what do you know, it fixed it.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Re-initialize the airbag modules? Sweet! Yeah that's what I've read some have done to fix it, by resetting it. I bet that did it. Awesome work dude!

Quick Reply: Seat Occupancy Control Sensor