E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI or Magnaflow on 550?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Yeah, I think we are doing another meet and should be at the end of May, look in the canada sub-forum. Droning is not bad at all. Just remember when you put on any muffler that enhaces sound, you will hear a bit of it in the inside. I barely notice mine plus I like my music and dont even notice the sound any more, I dont know if Im just use to it now but not bad at all. Dont sweat over it too much bro, if you want to drop about a G, then go with a much better one like RPI but if you want to spend that around to other mods then go with the magnaflow. Like the other member said, the two is not comparable, just look at the price and for sure RPI is the better one!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Drones a bit. Unlike my current setup. It's not that bad personally. I can bear it. It drones around 2,000 rpm. I just turn on my radio and drone is gone.

Performance wise, it's not much power loss at all. I didn't notice any loss compared to my quad setup. Now my quad setup, it really sounds like a Mustang. Can't really compare to RPI with the proven gain since I never tried it. Hope that helps. My next exhaust system will be RPI.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

i agree with that ptl said, i think eventually youll want the h.p and you would have ended up spending both amounts on the magna"slow" and then getting the r.p.i.. and to be all honest being an r.p.i. owner, when you listen to the souns clips on youtube, there is still no comparison to it in person. ive heard it a dozen or more on cars (on youtube) before purchasing my own and only when its right in front of you can you truly hear it the way it should sound... just my 2cents.. sound is one thing, saving money is another, but losing actual h.p would be a sure no-no for me, hands down. but thats how i am.. good luck with whatever you do choose. you will find alot of opinions here and helpful information and hopefully we can guide you to the best choice for yourself..
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

I know it may be a little off of the subject... IMO... leave the stock exhaust on and get a Quaife LSD instead! it is the best of the mods for V8 engines.
Stock exhaust is not that bad but the LSD is missing and should be a must for V8 engines... so get it then!

LSD is 10000000000 times better than any aftermarket exhaust systems! (I know it is not related mod but performance wise yes! but yes a little priced for your budget.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nwilliams
So here's my dilemma....

I have a local muffler shop that can sell me a brand new Magnaflow 14816 installed for $280 all-in and out the door.

Second option is a full RPI system for $1000 ($599 for system + $85 shipping to Canada + $50 brokerage fees from UPS to clear Canadian customs + 13% taxes for Canada customs + ?$150? install = approx. $1000

I'm looking for something that will let me hear the V8 and add some rumble. I'm not looking to gain more performance since I feel the car has plenty of power as is. On the other hand I don't want the car to drone or sound like a half ass attempt at sounding "deep" and "powerful" or noticeably lose power.

On one hand I can drop under $300 and drive off with that V8 rumble...or go all the way and drop more than 3 times more dough and do RPI!

What's the verdict guys....keep in mind I also wanna get some LCI tail lights with the Bruce cable and a few other things as well so money needs to be well spent...

Am I shortchanging myself going the inexpensive Magnaflow muffler route? Or will it yield the wanted results for little money?
$599 for an 550 RPi exhaust? You guys are lucky! $1600 for 535i. Anyone know why is there such a big price difference?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by G530
$599 for an 550 RPi exhaust? You guys are lucky! $1600 for 535i. Anyone know why is there such a big price difference?
more HP, more piping, sounds crazy agressive, its not just an axle-back exhaust like the 550 version. Come by eloy's shop so you can check out yourself.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

$599 for an 550 RPi exhaust? You guys are lucky!
hmmmmm wow. Does that include shipping?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
hmmmmm wow. Does that include shipping?
Based on this post, website price is higher. Call them for details http://shoprpi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=132
Old 02-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Based on this post, website price is higher. Call them for details http://shoprpi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=132
Yeah, I saw that after I posted......almost a grand for an axle back exhaust that clamps on....seems kind of steep
Just curious.....does RPI fabricate their own mufflers?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
Yeah, I saw that after I posted......almost a grand for an axle back exhaust that clamps on....seems kind of steep
Just curious.....does RPI fabricate their own mufflers?
yes they do

you are paying for the proven research that went into the product. You are paying for all the different tries it took for them to make an exhaust for our cars that performed exceptionally well, sounded great, and fit correctly.

The are not cookie cutter designs meant to fit all other cars. That's why its more expensive. It goes above and beyond what other exhaust companies do.

Theres a reason why most exhaust companies dont tell you their dyno methods, if they revealed how they often manipulate the dyno to "show" gains on their dyno sheets nobody would buy their products.

RPI will not only show us how they dyno, but as proof will dyno any other competitor in the same fashion for free and they have yet to be taken up on this challange

Quick Reply: RPI or Magnaflow on 550?