E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI or Magnaflow on 550?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miguex
to me it is personal taste:

- RPI :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaZf9h9PvfQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6IddWOGdWE

- Magnaflow :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je0roKsz-EM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1-JIA2-r5Q

it is your money, if u want to save get Magnaflow otherwise RPI then...

good luck!
That's exactly why I'm having this dilemma to begin with...when you listen to sound clips...they both sound pretty cool...different...but in my opinion...both pretty good. If it's just a matter of sound, it would seem like the Magnaflow, considering the savings...isn't such a bad move. I just don't want this to negatively impact the car.

I guess I'm just trying to get a bunch of opinions from you guys to help me make up my mind....keep 'em coming..!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Contributors

heres the thing, you are considering the Magnaflow based on its price and dont know how it will sound, they are cookie cutter designs and so while $300 may be appealing because of that, its performance is up in the air

the RPI is more expensive but it is so because its specifically designed for your car with performance and sound gains, it isnt raspy at all, but in my experience the magnaflows tend to drone with some rasp in the middle rpm range.

If you get the RPI will you be content and happy, if you get the Mag there is a very real chance that you may wonder what the RPI would have done for you and eventually get it later.

So based on this, you will just be wasting $300 now and paying $1000 later.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
heres the thing, you are considering the Magnaflow based on its price and dont know how it will sound, they are cookie cutter designs and so while $300 may be appealing because of that, its performance is up in the air

the RPI is more expensive but it is so because its specifically designed for your car with performance and sound gains, it isnt raspy at all, but in my experience the magnaflows tend to drone with some rasp in the middle rpm range.

If you get the RPI will you be content and happy, if you get the Mag there is a very real chance that you may wonder what the RPI would have done for you and eventually get it later.

So based on this, you will just be wasting $300 now and paying $1000 later.
Valid point....I guess a sound clip on Youtube can't be the final deciding factor! They do sound good on Youtube....but raspy and droning are two things I don't want...
Old 02-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by nwilliams
That's exactly why I'm having this dilemma to begin with...when you listen to sound clips...they both sound pretty cool...different...but in my opinion...both pretty good. If it's just a matter of sound, it would seem like the Magnaflow, considering the savings...isn't such a bad move. I just don't want this to negatively impact the car.

I guess I'm just trying to get a bunch of opinions from you guys to help me make up my mind....keep 'em coming..!

yes, I totally understand. maybe consider other brands such REMUS (it gains HP too and it is European) and the price is cheaper than RPI.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Btw. I see you are in Canada... there are REMUS distributor: http://www.remuscanada.com
Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Contributors

Remus is another good choice but it is a lot quieter than RPI from what members have reported that have had both on their cars

i like RPI, its solid, sounds great and supports a vendor of our forums. The price is right for what you get and the backing behind it is there too
Old 02-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

After listening to thes two exhausts... I personally prefer the SOUND of the Magnaflow. It has a deeper rumble. The RPI is more muted. But again, that's just what I like.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

You heard mine at the meet, right? I got Magnaflow just to enhance the sound and cuz its cheap! If I was worried about performance and had the $$, then I would've gone with the others mentioned here. It comes down to how much you want to spend and if your worried about performance. Like we spoke about last month, mine is still for sale since Im going quad this summer. If you get mine, you will spend just under $200 cdn for the muffler and installation together. Just holla and good luck!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by suthurnbimmur
You heard mine at the meet, right? I got Magnaflow just to enhance the sound and cuz its cheap! If I was worried about performance and had the $$, then I would've gone with the others mentioned here. It comes down to how much you want to spend and if your worried about performance. Like we spoke about last month, mine is still for sale since Im going quad this summer. If you get mine, you will spend just under $200 cdn for the muffler and installation together. Just holla and good luck!
Hey...what's up man..Yeah..I liked the sound from what I heard on your ride! I think I'll decide this week end and let you know. BTW...we should do another meet when the weather gets a little warmer.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

It's not like the Magnaflow sounds bad from the outside...but the drone inside the cabin will be very bad, plus the RPi exhaust has a MUCH more refined sound, plus you can't beat the HP gains ...you wont regret the price!

Quick Reply: RPI or Magnaflow on 550?