E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI or Magnaflow on 550?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

RPI! I can't wait until mine arrives next week...
Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi
It's not like the Magnaflow sounds bad from the outside...but the drone inside the cabin will be very bad
That would be a deal breaker for me...can anyone with a Magnaflow or experience with Magnaflow confirm this??
Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by nwilliams
That would be a deal breaker for me...can anyone with a Magnaflow or experience with Magnaflow confirm this??
I've heard it from a couple of members....maybe you can PM member DKNewYork, he had the Magnaflow on his 545i for a while, and member Dramged also might have had it...not sure though..
Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

i have the magnaflow and i like it. gives me a nice deep rumble. paid $142 for the muffler shipped and $80 for the install.

imo, you cant really compare these two, one is a universal muffler and the other is a axle back exhaust made specifically for the e60. if money was no object i would of gotten the rpi but like you i also couldnt spend that much at the time so i went with magnaflow. if its sound youre after you wont be disappointed.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60 545i SPORT
i have the magnaflow and i like it. gives me a nice deep rumble. paid $142 for the muffler shipped and $80 for the install.

imo, you cant really compare these two, one is a universal muffler and the other is a axle back exhaust made specifically for the e60. if money was no object i would of gotten the rpi but like you i also couldnt spend that much at the time so i went with magnaflow. if its sound youre after you wont be disappointed.
Any issues with droning inside the car at certain rpm's ?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

im not sure what droning is...
Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60 545i SPORT
im not sure what droning is...
Like a steady exhaust hum that resonates in your car while cruising at a certain speed. This can be heard inside the cabin when you drive at a certain speed. It's like a annoying note from the exhaust that rings inside the car. When you don't have any droning the exhaust rumble sounds like it's coming from the exhaust itself...not inside the cabin. I guess you would have to remember what the stock exhaust sounded like inside the cabin to compare.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nwilliams
Like a steady exhaust hum that resonates in your car while cruising at a certain speed. This can be heard inside the cabin when you drive at a certain speed. It's like a annoying note from the exhaust that rings inside the car. When you don't have any droning the exhaust rumble sounds like it's coming from the exhaust itself...not inside the cabin. I guess you would have to remember what the stock exhaust sounded like inside the cabin to compare.
i know what youre talking about...yes it has that but can be controlled by the accelerator pedal. the exhaust itself is actually not loud when cruising at normal speeds, its only loud when accelerating between 2-3 rpm's. call me crazy but i mean i bought the exhaust to get sound and to be able to hear the sound so i dont mind if i hear it in the cabin. good luck with your choice.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

yes magnaflow sounds good, i have one and like it. sounds mean but not like "mustang". May be they do use magnaflow on mustangs but the v8 in bmw makes it sound nice. dronning: only on certain rpms, and not bad at all. At first it was a little annoying but now i got used to it.

I never tried RPI but according to feed backs on here it's a great choice for 550i. I want one too, still thinking about dropping $1k for exhaust.. After all it looks like it's easy to sell , in case you want to go the other route (RPI is the most popular exhaust on the forum)
Old 02-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Senior Members

i got RPi and its freakin awesome!
its definitely a different exhaust note from magnaflow.
RPi's is deeper tone.
Magnaflow is louder.

like everyone said, if money is an issue then go with the magnaflow.
Remus is also an option.
btw, i thought i saw a member selling his RPi exhaust off his 550 a few weeks back.
i believe it was el immigrante.
i'm not sure if he was able to part it out.

Quick Reply: RPI or Magnaflow on 550?