E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ride Comfort : Coilovers vs Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I haven't tried it lower but there are threads in the struts to go at least 1" lower, but I don't want it.
The diffuser is from Schiedmann but I can't recommend it. Some modding had to be done to make it sit nicely.

- Antti -
That's a shame, I like the look of it with the quad exhausts.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Members

I bought the wheels a few weeks ago and today I also had it lowered. I decided to go for eibach pro-kit springs on my standard sport shocks in the end as I have read alot of good things regarding comfort from this setup. I like the idea of coilovers, but I just can't justify the cost at the moment.

The eibach springs feel fine, but it doesn't look noticeably lower. I understand that it wasn't going to be a major drop anyway, but is it true that the springs will settle and look a little lower over time? (or is that just a myth?)
Old 08-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eibach pro will definitely settle down and drop a bit more, but don't expect it to drop too much though. You might get another half inch more. If you're looking for bigger drop, may be sell it and buy the H&R sport but I prefer the comfort of the Eibach over H&R though. I think Eibach does make the sport version for the E60 also, look into that.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Members

As long as the eibachs settle a bit lower then they will be perfect. I made an effort to stay away from h&r because eibach are supposed to be the softer of the two. (although the lower drop from h&r was tempting, there's a possibility that I would regret it)
I won't be changing the springs again now as the car will become a money pit.

I have seen pics where the pro-kit ride height looks perfect on 20's, which is another reason why I went for them.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Members

...and the eibach sportline springs only seem to lower the car more at the front but the same at the back. The front looks low enough on the pro-kit anyway in my opinion.

By the way, I found this photo of an e60 with the exact same setup as mine(same wheels size & offset, tyres, pro-kit etc.):

So naturally, this is what I was expecting. I will get pics of mine on here soon.

anyone want to buy some msport springs?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Members

I took a photo of it today - the carkpark is on an incline so i think this is why it looks quite low.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Members

...its been lowered for over two weeks now, why aren't my arches that close to the wheel?

This photo was taken on flatter land:

Is my only option coilovers if I want to go lower? (It still doesn't look low enough to me and I don't imagine it can 'settle' any more - the fronts look perfect by the way)
Old 08-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

are you sure you installed springs in the back? the front is lowered but there is really somthing wrong in th rear.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by IndyRedBeast
are you sure you installed springs in the back? the front is lowered but there is really somthing wrong in th rear.
Yes definitely, The gararge who fitted them gave me the old ones back and I can see that the new springs are on there.
I'm glad somebody else agrees that it doesn't look low, what could be the cause of this?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

you have not decided on the coils yet since you 1st posted this thread???
what are you waiting on?? just go ahead and do it and you will not regret it!!

Quick Reply: Ride Comfort : Coilovers vs Springs