E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

retrofit lci-ccc on pre-lci ccc is it plug and play ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007
Default retrofit lci-ccc on pre-lci ccc is it plug and play ?

on a pre-lci with ccc and nav can you just swap to the lci-ccc without coding ?
will the extra buttons work ?
if not what is needed for it to work ?

I have searched and found some old contradictory info.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

I'm not exactly sure I follow what you're asking. But if I do understand you then its no. I say this because any swap will take at least coding. Meaning swapping from pre-lci ccc to pre-lci ccc requires this from my understanding. You're talking about swapping from ccc to cic (part of the change of the lci). If this is the case there are DIY's posted on this.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 AM
Members

I mean a swap from CCC to LCI-CCC (not CIC) . Not so much to find about this.
Only topic I found was this one : https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...lci-e60-86526/ which isn't so clear.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

The short answer is YES, it is plug and play. However, that is IF and only IF, you mean a straight swap from a pre-LCI CCC (2004-07) unit to an LCI (2008- *****mid 09), also, the part that ISN'T plug and play is that the replacement unit MUST be coded to your car or it will not work. Keep in mind mid 2009 and up 5ers do not have CCC, they have the next generation CIC unit, which is far from a plug and play install and much more expensive.
Like I said, yes, you can swap CCC units from a newer car into an older one (when I got my replacement CCC unit, it came from an early 08 car). However, coding must be done to make it work with your car and there will be no "new" features, since the CCC units are identical. The best you can hope for is that if the replacement unit is a salvage unit, it has an updated NAV disc inside (mine didn't come with one).
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Members

Thank you, makes sense to me, so with coding the 8 buttons also work.

How with the upgraded I-drive controler the same one which is on the CIC with the extra shortcut buttons (at least I think its the same one), does this one work on the pre-LCI CCC or is the LCI CCC needed for that one to work ?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tom_il
Thank you, makes sense to me, so with coding the 8 buttons also work.

How with the upgraded I-drive controler the same one which is on the CIC with the extra shortcut buttons (at least I think its the same one), does this one work on the pre-LCI CCC or is the LCI CCC needed for that one to work ?
There have been others that got the newer iDrive controller to work on the CCC. However, I suspect we have a misunderstanding, there is no LCI and pre-LCI CCC unit, there is the CCC NAV unit and then there is the CIC NAV unit - 2 completely different units. Just because a car is LCI doesn't mean it has CIC, the CIC was put into cars around mid 2009, everything before that was CCC (LCI cars are from 2008+ model years/mid 2007 build dates).
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Members

Yes I am aware of the CIC which is completly different and is harddisk based instead of DVD.

But the first LCI had the extra buttons on the CCC (not CIC) which I refere as the LCI-CCC and had alread (not sure which date) the CIC controller with the extra shortcut buttons.

Now I wonder if that controller also works on the pre-LCI on the CCC without the extra 8 buttons.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tom_il
Yes I am aware of the CIC which is completly different and is harddisk based instead of DVD.

But the first LCI had the extra buttons on the CCC (not CIC) which I refere as the LCI-CCC and had alread (not sure which date) the CIC controller with the extra shortcut buttons.

Now I wonder if that controller also works on the pre-LCI on the CCC without the extra 8 buttons.
The iDrive controller with the extra buttons does work with CCC (as you are aware, the LCI cars had the updated controller and CCC). I will try to find some threads regarding this for you .
Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Looks like it is more involved than I would have thought. Here is a link to one DIY, but he also switched the entire center console to an LCI center console (they are different), you would have to trim your center console to make the controller fit and then do the wiring required. https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...shtray-120108/
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Members

Thank you, got some reading to do then. Couldn't find much about this one, seems abit weird as this looks like a mod many wanting to do. well at least those not wanting to do the full way to a CIC.

Maybe a stupid question but if only the DVD part would be swaped from pre-LCI to LCI keeping the current screen ? Not sure where in which part (screen of DVD) is the actualy CCC is located.

Quick Reply: retrofit lci-ccc on pre-lci ccc is it plug and play ?