E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Replaced Potenza RF with Michelin PS2

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned so many of you swiched to the PS2 on this forum. It's only been a few days but the smooth ride and lower noise level is wonderful. As mentioned by others, the crispness of response on turns is not as high, but I have yet to try higher tire pressures. So far, on the few hard turns I tried, there was no loss of grip and ever so slightly increase of body roll. Again, higher pressure may help here. On slower turns, there was no difference of body roll between the tire types. There is just one issue that requires me to relearn the 'line' taken by the car for a given turn of the steering wheel... the PS2's create a wider turning radius for the same speed and turn of the steering wheel. It feels like a lower steering ratio with the RF's and more responsive. Someone might better explain this; I believe it comes from slip angle changes. Accelerating within the turn increased the radius, thus understeering condition, which did not happen with RF's. Traction and grip were not compromised and had I never had RF's, I could not make this comparison since the performance is superb with either tire. Ruts in the road were half as noticable and road irregularities that were transmitted to my back/spine with the RF's are now cushioned out. The occasional irritation to my back by railroad tracks etc. are now non-existent.
Bottom line, I traded in sports car crispness for limosine ride. IMHO, things are different but not better nor worse than before. After a year with these tires, I can make a better judgement call. I look forward to lower tread wear and maybe even better gas mileage.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Oct 23 2005, 06:08 AM
I learned so many of you swiched to the PS2 on this forum. It's only been a few days but the smooth ride and lower noise level is wonderful.? As mentioned by others, the crispness of response on turns is not as high, but I have yet to try higher tire pressures.? So far, on the few hard turns I tried, there was no loss of grip and ever so slightly increase of body roll. Again, higher pressure may help here.? On slower turns, there was no difference of body roll between the tire types.? There is just one issue that requires me to relearn the 'line' taken by the car for a given turn of the steering wheel... the PS2's create a wider turning radius for the same speed and turn of the steering wheel.? It feels like a lower steering ratio with the RF's and more responsive.? Someone might better explain this; I believe it comes from slip angle changes.? Accelerating within the turn increased the radius, thus understeering condition, which did not happen with RF's.? Traction and grip were not compromised and had I never had RF's, I could not make this comparison since the performance is superb with either tire.? Ruts in the road were half as noticable and road irregularities that were transmitted to my back/spine with the RF's are now cushioned out.? The occasional irritation to my back by railroad tracks etc. are now non-existent.?
Bottom line, I traded in sports car crispness for limosine ride.? IMHO, things are different but not better nor worse than before. After a year with these tires, I can make a better judgement call. I look forward to lower tread wear and maybe even better gas mileage.?
[snapback]187482[/snapback]
Quite interesting post. In fact, I'm thinking about switching to another brand of tyres because, on my 535d, the Bridgestone Potenza are VERY noisy and harsh. What is really disturbing me is their behaviour on slightly irregular tarmac: the car seems to jump from one small ridge to the following one, with a very unpleasant feeling of poor control and a lot of noise and vibrations. The Dunlop RF installed on my previous 530d were not so stiff and harsh. If I cannot sort out a better solution, I'll ask my dealer to install Dunlop instead of Bridgestone asap.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Senior Members

Good move!
Enjoy them.

What size are your tyres?
Old 10-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ok I notice a lot of people going with the PS2's instead of the Pilot Sports... whats the real difference? Why the PS2?

Michelin Pilot Sport

Michelin PS2

I guess it sounds like the PS2 is more of a over all tire where as the Pilot Sport is more for grip and racing?

Do you get bett road feel with the PS2?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 23 2005, 03:12 AM
Ok I notice a lot of people going with the PS2's instead of the Pilot Sports... whats the real difference? Why the PS2?

Michelin Pilot Sport

Michelin PS2

I guess it sounds like the PS2 is more of a over all tire where as the Pilot Sport is more for grip and racing?

[snapback]187512[/snapback]
If you look at the results under each tire you'll see the ps2 being a much better "racing" tire overall. Looks often don't have to do with performance. And as far as i know ps2 is amongst the few tires or even the only one that uses the 2 rubber techonlogy (meaning that on the contact surface it's used 2 categories of rubberm, one on the middle contact and one on the exterior contact, to help better performance just as in F1).
Old 10-23-2005, 01:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh hummm ok... Ya I saw the two rubber compound part but didnt really notice the better Racing for the PS2... I saw the better grip part on the Pilot Sports.

I do like the Pilot Sports look more.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Oct 23 2005, 08:08 AM
Replaced Potenza RF with Michelin PS2, car now rides and sounds like a 7 series
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

For me it is a bad thing .
Old 10-23-2005, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Oct 23 2005, 08:56 AM
Good move!
Enjoy them.

What size are your tyres?
[snapback]187507[/snapback]
245/18 front
275/18 rear
Old 10-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 23 2005, 03:12 AM

Michelin Pilot Sport

Michelin PS2

I think that the PS2s are the better all around performance tire. I also chose them partially because they are very light. I am not sure if they are lighter than the Pilot Sports, but I suspect they are.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 23 2005, 03:22 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 23 2005, 03:12 AM']Ok I notice a lot of people going with the PS2's instead of the Pilot Sports... whats the real difference? Why the PS2?

Michelin Pilot Sport

Michelin PS2

I think that the PS2s are the better all around performance tire. I also chose them because they are very light. I am not sure if they are lighter than the Pilot Sports, but I suspect they are.
[snapback]187589[/snapback]
[/quote]
Dang, after convincing myself that I wanted to stay with Runflats I now want PS2's!!! (And I'm not talking about Playstations!!!)

I'm going to ask about a space-saver spare next Saturday whilst my car is being serviced... ?150 I reckon! :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Replaced Potenza RF with Michelin PS2