E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Remus Exhaust Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Nice write up--thanks for sharing. From your description, it seems the Remus is closer to a Dinan exhaust (more pronounced than stock on acceleration, but comparable to stock when cruising--also your description "sounds like you're trying to say "rum" when you're clearing your throat" is similar to how Dinan sounds--very Italian!) than B&B which is louder all the time.

If you don't mind--how much was it, and where did you get it?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by stream' post='195183' date='Nov 8 2005, 12:35 PM
If you don't mind--how much was it, and where did you get it?
$660 from bavauto.com
Old 11-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

Thanks for the info. You just convinced me to get the Remus mufflers. The way you listed the info was very thorough. Great Job. I was actually planning on getting the quad system from the Japanese company ARQRAY. Its about 4 times as much in price and I'm not sure if the extra two pipes will contribute much, then I'd have to get the rear bumper as well.
thanks again.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by The Kloser' post='195612' date='Nov 9 2005, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the info. You just convinced me to get the Remus mufflers. The way you listed the info was very thorough. Great Job. I was actually planning on getting the quad system from the Japanese company ARQRAY. Its about 4 times as much in price and I'm not sure if the extra two pipes will contribute much, then I'd have to get the rear bumper as well.
thanks again.
Do you have a picture or a link to the ARQRAY quad?
I've seen only their front add-on spoiler.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='195724
thanks again.
[/quote]
It's in Japanese characters. I'll try to get it in english.

Originally Posted by The Kloser' post='195925
Originally Posted by The Kloser' post='195612' date='Nov 9 2005, 12:45 AM
thanks again.
It's in Japanese characters. I'll try to get it in english.
[/quote]
Got it. www.arqray.jp
they have an english page, and are supposedly gonna have a dealer in CA. in a couple of months
Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by The Kloser' post='195925' date='Nov 9 2005, 03:10 PM
Got it. www.arqray.jp
they have an english page, and are supposedly gonna have a dealer in CA. in a couple of months
Thanks for the link.

Their Z4 has one wild paint job.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='196073
Got it. www.arqray.jp
Thanks for the link.

Their Z4 has one wild paint job.
[/quote]
great write up, I just purchased the eisenmann's with the racing performance - I will let you know and compare with the others. I thought about going with B & B, but as the thread discussion described - I just want the road noise while highway cruising - would rather have a throatier sound when accelerating a bit harder and throttle blipping at higher rpms'. I will have them on next week and try to record a sound byte to post
Old 11-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='194906' date='Nov 7 2005, 05:15 PM
I installed the Remus muffler last week, and this is the first time I've had a chance to take pics. JDN already has some sound clips in his sig, so I won't bother recording any (unless you guys really want some different videos, etc). Here's what I think of the Remus so far -

Installation and fit:
I had it done at a very reputable shop. Went about as smoothly as any exhaust can. The mechanic said no exhaust ever fit exactly, out of the box. There's always some hammering, cutting, adjusting, etc involved. Took around 1 hr. The fit isn't exact. It hangs a bit low, just like how the B&B fits. When it was first connnected, it was even lower. The mechanic had to adjust it a bit to get to where it sits now. I didn't use shorter hangers like how some B&B owners are doing, so I think the height would be perfect if I did. The tips look angled to the right in the pics, but you don't notice it as much in person. You can also see that although the 2 tips are staggered, they're not staggered enough to line up with the rear lip of the bumper. The tip on the left side should be shorter. So although the fit isn't ideal, its not a big deal for me. As long as it works and it clears all the mechanical components around it, the exhaust is fine. I've seen much worse fitting mufflers than this.

Looks:
Tips are much bigger than stock. The tips are actually kinda "thick", and taper toward the edge of the openings. The openings are already as big as stock, so along with the "thick" tips, it makes the Remus look very chunky. I like the Remus and wolf logo engravings on the tips.

Sound:
Very deep. Deeper than stock in all situations. As for volume -
Startup - Much louder than stock
Idle - Much louder than stock
Hard Acceleration - Much louder than stock
Soft Accerleration - A bit louder than stock
SMG Downshifts - Much louder than stock
Driving in the city - A bit louder than stock
Cruising on highway - SAME as stock

Compared to other exhausts I've heard:
B&B - louder than Remus but more mellow in tone. Remus sounds more aggressive and deeper, but B&B is smoother and not as mean sounding. The B&B is loud when you're just cruising around the city and highway, whereas the Remus can be quiet in those situations. Imagine the B&B as if you're trying to say "booo" when your mouth is full of water. The Remus sounds like you're trying to say "rum" when you're clearing your throat.

Eisenmann Race - sound like the Remus but has an airy, metallic, raspy sound, so it sounds sorta like a Mustang. Similar to Remus in volume so it can be quiet when cruising.

AC Schnitzer - Very similar to Remus in volume and tone. I've read that Remus is actually the OEM manufacturer for ACS exhausts, so that could explain why they're so similar.

To sum up, I'm very pleased with this purchase. Its a good bargain as its the cheapest exhaust for this car, and I happen to like its sound the best compared to the other exhausts I've heard. It can be quiet and sound like stock when you're cruising, but can be loud and mean when you step on it. Its exactly what I was looking for. I was deciding between Remus and the B&B. With the B&B, its loud all the time, and I thought it was a bit annoying when you're just cruising around. Even with the windows closed the B&B is still a bit loud. The Remus is more versatile - can be quiet or loud depending on how you drive. On the highway with windows closed in 6th gear from 2k to 3k rpm, it sounds exactly the same as stock! Remus is also the deepest and meanest of all the exhausts I've heard. Startup and idle also sounded deeper and meaner than the E55 AMG that was in the same garage as me this morning. SMG downshifts sound awesome - always gets other ppl's attention when I downshift before a red light.

PS: no offense to the owners of the other exhausts I've mentioned. I'm sure you love yours, and they sound great in their own way. But for me, the Remus suited my needs the best.

Here's some pics with it installed:

Congratulations on the Remus. I hope you don't mind answering a couple of questions:

1. It is hard for me to imagine a deeper sound than the B&B, but if the Remus has an even deeper sound then that's super! Have you also heard the B&B in person or just in video clips?

2. When you say that the Remus is quiet when "cruising" what RPM range are you talking about? My B&B is pretty quiet if I am cruising above about 2000 RPM. However, if it is between 1000 and 2000 RPM's it can be annoyingly loud, regardless of whether my foot is on the throttle or off. The only way to keep it quiet is to have the accelerator in a position where I am pushing on it slightly so that it's neither accelerating or decelerating.

I love the loud deep sound when starting the car and under hard acceleration, but the sound between 1000 and 2000 RPM is a bit too much. I know it's personal taste because there are many B&B owners here that have no problem with the sound in that RPM range, but I wouldn't mind going to something a bit quieter.

The funny thing is that I listened to both the Eisenmann (Racing Version) and B&B in person before buying mine and decided I liked the B&B better (and I still do). I even posted video clips of both on this forum. I guess when I was in that car it was for only 10 minutes or so, and even though I noticed the same thing I thought that it was "cool", but having to live with it on my car on a daily basis is different.

Is there anyone in SoCal that has or is planning to get a Remus on a 545i or 550i? I would love to hear it in person.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='197232' date='Nov 12 2005, 12:16 PM
Congratulations on the Remus. I hope you don't mind answering a couple of questions:

1. It is hard for me to imagine a deeper sound than the B&B, but if the Remus has an even deeper sound then that's super! Have you also heard the B&B in person or just in video clips?

2. When you say that the Remus is quiet when "cruising" what RPM range are you talking about? My B&B is pretty quiet if I am cruising above about 2000 RPM. However, if it is between 1000 and 2000 RPM's it can be annoyingly loud, regardless of whether my foot is on the throttle or off. The only way to keep it quiet is to have the accelerator in a position where I am pushing on it slightly so that it's neither accelerating or decelerating.

I love the loud deep sound when starting the car and under hard acceleration, but the sound between 1000 and 2000 RPM is a bit too much. I know it's personal taste because there are many B&B owners here that have no problem with the sound in that RPM range, but I wouldn't mind going to something a bit quieter.

The funny thing is that I listened to both the Eisenmann (Racing Version) and B&B in person before buying mine and decided I liked the B&B better (and I still do). I even posted video clips of both on this forum. I guess when I was in that car it was for only 10 minutes or so, and even though I noticed the same thing I thought that it was "cool", but having to live with it on my car on a daily basis is different.

Is there anyone in SoCal that has or is planning to get a Remus on a 545i or 550i? I would love to hear it in person.
Yup, I heard the B&B in person on both a 545 and 530 before I decided on the Remus.

I know what you're talking about with cruising:
Between 1 and 2k rpm, I think the B&B is pretty loud. On the Remus, 1 to 2k rpm is only a tiny bit louder than stock. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, its a pleasant sound to me since its so deep.
Above 2k rpm, the B&B gets quieter, but the Remus becomes absolutely dead silent like stock.

Basically, if you're looking for a drastic change, B&B is the way to go. A lot of ppl love it. My first impression, however, was that its a bit too much when you're driving around the city or when you're not driving aggresively. Its almost a bit annoying when you just want to relax. For me, the Remus is more versatile, can be quiet or loud depending on the situation. And its deeper, which I liked.

It was a tough choice for me between the Remus and B&B. When it came down to it, I thought of it this way -The B&B is a bit over the top, you can definately tell its aftermarket.
The Remus is like what I wished the 545 sounded like when it was stock. It just seems "appropriate" for this car...

I hope this helps. Maybe you'll think the Remus is too quiet, who knows. Definately try to listen to it if you get a chance.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:01 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='197389' date='Nov 12 2005, 06:31 PM
I know what you're talking about with cruising:
Between 1 and 2k rpm, I think the B&B is pretty loud. On the Remus, 1 to 2k rpm is only a tiny bit louder than stock. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, its a pleasant sound to me since its so deep.
Above 2k rpm, the B&B gets quieter, but the Remus becomes absolutely dead silent like stock.
At low rpm (1-2k), I find the Remus sound down right comforting.

Quick Reply: Remus Exhaust Installed