E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Remus Exhaust Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I installed the Remus muffler last week, and this is the first time I've had a chance to take pics. JDN already has some sound clips in his sig, so I won't bother recording any (unless you guys really want some different videos, etc). Here's what I think of the Remus so far -

Installation and fit:
I had it done at a very reputable shop. Went about as smoothly as any exhaust can. The mechanic said no exhaust ever fit exactly, out of the box. There's always some hammering, cutting, adjusting, etc involved. Took around 1 hr. The fit isn't exact. It hangs a bit low, just like how the B&B fits. When it was first connnected, it was even lower. The mechanic had to adjust it a bit to get to where it sits now. I didn't use shorter hangers like how some B&B owners are doing, so I think the height would be perfect if I did. The tips look angled to the right in the pics, but you don't notice it as much in person. You can also see that although the 2 tips are staggered, they're not staggered enough to line up with the rear lip of the bumper. The tip on the left side should be shorter. So although the fit isn't ideal, its not a big deal for me. As long as it works and it clears all the mechanical components around it, the exhaust is fine. I've seen much worse fitting mufflers than this.

Looks:
Tips are much bigger than stock. The tips are actually kinda "thick", and taper toward the edge of the openings. The openings are already as big as stock, so along with the "thick" tips, it makes the Remus look very chunky. I like the Remus and wolf logo engravings on the tips.

Sound:
Very deep. Deeper than stock in all situations. As for volume -
Startup - Much louder than stock
Idle - Much louder than stock
Hard Acceleration - Much louder than stock
Soft Accerleration - A bit louder than stock
SMG Downshifts - Much louder than stock
Driving in the city - A bit louder than stock
Cruising on highway - SAME as stock

Compared to other exhausts I've heard:
B&B - louder than Remus but more mellow in tone. Remus sounds more aggressive and deeper, but B&B is smoother and not as mean sounding. The B&B is loud when you're just cruising around the city and highway, whereas the Remus can be quiet in those situations. Imagine the B&B as if you're trying to say "booo" when your mouth is full of water. The Remus sounds like you're trying to say "rum" when you're clearing your throat.

Eisenmann Race - sound like the Remus but has an airy, metallic, raspy sound, so it sounds sorta like a Mustang. Similar to Remus in volume so it can be quiet when cruising.

AC Schnitzer - Very similar to Remus in volume and tone. I've read that Remus is actually the OEM manufacturer for ACS exhausts, so that could explain why they're so similar.

To sum up, I'm very pleased with this purchase. Its a good bargain as its the cheapest exhaust for this car, and I happen to like its sound the best compared to the other exhausts I've heard. It can be quiet and sound like stock when you're cruising, but can be loud and mean when you step on it. Its exactly what I was looking for. I was deciding between Remus and the B&B. With the B&B, its loud all the time, and I thought it was a bit annoying when you're just cruising around. Even with the windows closed the B&B is still a bit loud. The Remus is more versatile - can be quiet or loud depending on how you drive. On the highway with windows closed in 6th gear from 2k to 3k rpm, it sounds exactly the same as stock! Remus is also the deepest and meanest of all the exhausts I've heard. Startup and idle also sounded deeper and meaner than the E55 AMG that was in the same garage as me this morning. SMG downshifts sound awesome - always gets other ppl's attention when I downshift before a red light.

PS: no offense to the owners of the other exhausts I've mentioned. I'm sure you love yours, and they sound great in their own way. But for me, the Remus suited my needs the best.

Here's some pics with it installed:
Remus Exhaust Installed-125_2568_img.jpg
Remus Exhaust Installed-125_2569_img.jpg
Remus Exhaust Installed-125_2570_img.jpg
Remus Exhaust Installed-125_2571_img.jpg
Remus Exhaust Installed-125_2572_img.jpg
Old 11-07-2005, 04:39 PM
JDN
Contributors

Very good detailed description of the Remus, Rich. I hope my PM to you on my Remus experience was helpful in making your decision. I think my installation went a little smoother than yours because my OEM exhaust had already been replaced by the dealer's tech, although I did not ask them to. So it was already cut and the installation was really simple. Matter of fact, I could switch between the two very easily. I plan to if I ever trade. I am glad that you are pleased with your Remus.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Congrats on your exhaust...they look nice but I still think they hang too low....don't u think so?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' post='194914' date='Nov 7 2005, 08:39 PM
Very good detailed description of the Remus, Rich. I hope my PM to you on my Remus experience was helpful in making your decision. I think my installation went a little smoother than yours because my OEM exhaust had already been replaced by the dealer's tech, although I did not ask them to. So it was already cut and the installation was really simple. Matter of fact, I could switch between the two very easily. I plan to if I ever trade. I am glad that you are pleased with your Remus.
Yes thank you JDN for your PM, you were very helpful!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Great right up Rich. I really like the Remus tips but I'm still waiting to hear back from Remus on that custom exhaust with carbon fiber tips that I've told you about. They had emailed me back asking what country I'm from and after I replied, I haven't heard back...haha

Anyway, everything you've written confirmed my understanding of all the exhausts mentioned. I think right now, I'm down to the Remus and Kelleners. If Remus replies that they can do the CF tips, it'll be no contest.

BTW, how's the performance improvement? It's probably hard to gauge the 5-7 hp or so that the exhaust provides but I'm curious if there were anything else noticeable.

Thanks again for the detailed write up.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='194924
BTW, how's the performance improvement? It's probably hard to gauge the 5-7 hp or so that the exhaust provides but I'm curious if there were anything else noticeable.
I can't feel any difference except for sound
Good luck with the cf tips!
Old 11-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

jet,

The muffler looks great on the car!
Don't even worry about the tips being angled to the right a bit. There's no perfect application and most of the times it takes a lot of scrutiny and close investigation to see such things.

Keep in mind that the sound will be a little different (possibly) after the muffler goes through a break-in period and the insides burn a little.

Glad you're enjoying it.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Thanks for the great writeup. I am still considering my exhaust mod and the info is much appreciated.

Not to be critical - but I would agree about the fit. Pictures can always blow things out of proportion and in person it may look fine, but IMO for a top end e60, I think it sucks. The pipes should be centered in the cutout.

If you went to a muffler shop, I would go back and make them do it right. The hangers can be cut/bent and re-welded.

If you went to a mechanic, then word of advice, go to a custom muffler shop - not a Midas but a real muffler shop, the ones that bend thier own pipes. They can make these things fit perfect and they are usually pretty reasonable.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:12 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='195018' date='Nov 8 2005, 01:15 AM
jet,

The muffler looks great on the car!
Don't even worry about the tips being angled to the right a bit. There's no perfect application and most of the times it takes a lot of scrutiny and close investigation to see such things.

Keep in mind that the sound will be a little different (possibly) after the muffler goes through a break-in period and the insides burn a little.

Glad you're enjoying it.
That was something I expected, but so far, Mr. Remus has maintained his deep throat with no apparent change in sound.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

great writeup I have been looking at the Remus and Eisenmann and I am leaning towards the Remus after your review

Quick Reply: Remus Exhaust Installed