E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by umnitza
There is nothing wrong with the rings or the LED inside them. They don't fail.
That's a rather bold statement there.

LEDs, just like any other electronic component, can fail at a moment's notice. LEDs are known for being very reliable against many of the hazards of the environment, but they're not little bulbs that came out of the heavens that will never fail.

That said, it is probably much more likely that the failed component is the cheapy-feeling white plastic box inside. However, you shouldn't make statements like "They don't fail."
Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Like tex_phil. Half of a ring is out. It goes in and out. :thumbsdown: Noticed it was out on the highway by the reflection. Got to our destination, it was on. Now this morning, its out again. Had these about a month or so. Now what?
Let me take a guess - You wired the Orions into the already existing Angel Eye Wiring harness.

The flickerin is a common problem I notice for people who do that - You need a stable external source, to power the Orions, and thats why I recomend my wirring kit. The kit is designed to give you
1. Stable power for DRL's
2. Fade In Fade Out effect on lock unlock

Also, the higher the fluctuation on any LED's the faster they go out.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

TheRacerBoss knows his shit. if anyone is considering this mod or wants to take their existing Orion install to the next level, i highly recommend that you buy his wiring kit. so far ive had ZERO flickering issues and the fade on/off feature as well as operating like welcome lights (with and OLD LM1 unit) is awesome!

Umnitza...many of us love this product, if its starting to fail or have issues, swap em out......for free.....its just good customer service...keep us happy and the community will continue to recommend/embrace your products.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

What does this wiring harness consist of?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i CSR

Umnitza you guys are very impolite & unprofessional to your existing customers. I'd be careful - you could gain negative reaction and start loosing market share.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw

The wirring harness consists of a PROPER internal fuse - Control Cables - Power Stabilizers.

The most important being the fuse and the stabilizers.

They also have a good bye flickering note
Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by umnitza
There is nothing wrong with the rings or the LED inside them. They don't fail.
The only issue we've seen is from a few folks pulling too hard on their installed ring's wires and that will cause a problem.
To the first statement: Bullshit, even the absolute best electronics manufacturers know, and plan for, a +/- 0.5% failure rate

To the second comment: Not exactly a winning stance to blame the customer (especially when said customer was one of the first to have done the white LED eyebrow mod)
Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Yeah I tapped mine into the exsisting power source, its kinda ghetto, but then again I'm no expert.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
I was gentle with my install. Anything electronic I'm super careful. I banged on the headlight and it came on.
I will try that.
Not saying you weren't careful, we all have times when we are being careful and it still doesn't turn out perfect.
Banging on the ring indicates that the connection to the ring is faulty somewhere, so this is an electrical connection issue.

Originally Posted by Ricapar
That's a rather bold statement there.

LEDs, just like any other electronic component, can fail at a moment's notice. LEDs are known for being very reliable against many of the hazards of the environment, but they're not little bulbs that came out of the heavens that will never fail.

That said, it is probably much more likely that the failed component is the cheapy-feeling white plastic box inside. However, you shouldn't make statements like "They don't fail."
Let's go over this a few different ways. Yes, nothing is bullet proof, even bullets are known to have failures and corrode

However, given the quantity of our product deliveries - into the 15K units - we still to this day have less than 20 total failures of the rings. By failure, we mean even if 1 LED goes out.
And of those 10 failures, 3 of them happened in the first 3 batches (500 to a batch) and the rest are either wire pull outs or solder joint issues (about 12) and the final few are just what we chalked up to flukes.

Hyperbole is sometimes necessary to get our point across, that these rings are bullet proof.

Also, and this is important, bad information or bad news travels like wildfire on the internet, by eliminating a troubleshooting point, we help customers look for other issues that may be causing it.

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
Let me take a guess - You wired the Orions into the already existing Angel Eye Wiring harness.

The flickerin is a common problem I notice for people who do that - You need a stable external source, to power the Orions, and thats why I recomend my wirring kit. The kit is designed to give you
1. Stable power for DRL's
2. Fade In Fade Out effect on lock unlock
Also, the higher the fluctuation on any LED's the faster they go out.
The overall advice here is spot on. Though you don't necessarily need a wiring kit per se, a stable power source is 10000% the best advice.

Originally Posted by umichchris
TheRacerBoss knows his shit. if anyone is considering this mod or wants to take their existing Orion install to the next level, i highly recommend that you buy his wiring kit. so far ive had ZERO flickering issues and the fade on/off feature as well as operating like welcome lights (with and OLD LM1 unit) is awesome!

Umnitza...many of us love this product, if its starting to fail or have issues, swap em out......for free.....its just good customer service...keep us happy and the community will continue to recommend/embrace your products.
We would immediately replace them if there was a fault in the ring. Moreover, we would even replace them if you get into an accident and they don't work after the accident. That's how confident we are that it won't fail.

Don't misunderstand our confidence in the product with our obligation to fulfill any warranty that may arise. We will always stand behind our products.

Our failure rate is about .0033% for actual ring failures - this calculated at .000033 failures
.0033% = 3.3 × 10-5
Our failure rate is about .00005% for actual LED failures - this is calculated at .0000005 failures
.00005% = 5.0 × 10-7

To others:
My math is a little rusty, but I think I got it right, if not, let me know.

Originally Posted by denissm
Umnitza you guys are very impolite & unprofessional to your existing customers. I'd be careful - you could gain negative reaction and start loosing market share.
Not really sure what this is directed at, but if we offended you in any way, we all apologize here.

TheRacerBoss
The wirring harness consists of a PROPER internal fuse - Control Cables - Power Stabilizers.

The most important being the fuse and the stabilizers.

They also have a good bye flickering note

This is a good wiring harness!
We also offer a similar one for $19.99 - though it's directed for the E46 mostly, you can use it on most any car.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tex_phil
Yeah I tapped mine into the exsisting power source, its kinda ghetto, but then again I'm no expert.
It's fine to do this as long as the connection is secure.

-----
We're not saying a ring can't fail, but it's unlikely. Eliminating that variable, it's possibly the connectors, the boxes (we've replaced about 30-50 of those - almost all of them with shrink wrapping not the new box style), or the molex connection itself. For peace of mind, know that the LED are among the single most reliable component used by anyone in the industry regardless of the application.

Also, just to be clear, we don't make this kind of claim with our other LED products, only with Orion V2 LED based angel eyes. Other LED products can and have failed and we warranty those as any other ethical retailer would.

Quick Reply: Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.