E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Recommendations on Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Ikazuchi
I'm sure there's a few threads on this already, but searches come up with a 100 different topics that aren't what I'm looking for. So feel free to direct me to another thread.

I'm looking to do a m-tech kit on my 530 but have some reservations about changing out the exhaust. Going to a quad setup looks badass, but I've read that I will actually loose power (I'm guessing from a decrease in back pressure). While I really don't want to loose any power, my main concern is noise. I've had several cars with aftermarket pipes, and while they are all sport/race cans, I can't deal with a constant, loud buzzing. This is my daily driver and long-distance cruising car, I don't want a headache.

My other option is to just keep a single-sided setup and change out the tips to something beefier, but let's face it... it's not as cool looking.

So any advise on a set of quad pipes that won't kill my power and are not much louder (if at all louder) than stock?

Thanks- Marc
you can get the quad setup with the Arqray
I have the duel pips which I am loving it.

GH-NA25,GH-NA30
ABA-NE25,ABA-NE30

http://www.arqray.jp/pages/twinpipe/index.html
Attached Thumbnails Recommendations on Pipes-003_s.jpg  
Old 04-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Members

My Ride: Current: '08 535i Recent BMW: '95 M3 (swapped) Engine- Swapped '95 S50 with '99 S52 3.2L bored/stroked to 3.3L, kept OBD1 JE Pistons (9.0:1 compression ratio) Pauter connecting rods Schrick Camshafts Vortech V2 w/ custom bypass valve RMS Aftercooler Head modifications Ported and Polished, large valve springs and retainers, Valves Yes, but don't know name Valve springs Yes, but don't know name Retainers Yes, but don't know name Electromotive TEC III stand alone engine management, tuned by Vic Sias of Sias Tuning S50 Intake manifold Dinan Throttle Body 42lb Fuel injectors Custom RMS air intake RMS Header Custom header-back exhaust Quad exit rolled tips, polished exhaust High flow catalytic converter NGK Spark plugs B&M short shift kit Centerforce Dual Friction clutch Odyssey PC 680 Lightweight Battery Exterior- House of Kolor Moondust Silver Custom 1.5" flares molded into body Trim painted and molded into fender flares Dresmann body kit from Germany (front bumper, sideskirts, rear bumper) Kerscher 3 piece CF spoiler - imported from Germany CF side mirrors DTM Authaus CF vented hood Lighting- Gourmet Garage HID's Umnitza Angel Eyes OEM Euro tails Clear corners Interior- Seats Sparco Torino Alcantara door panel inserts silver Brand new OEM ///M3 floor mats Carbon Fiber interior trim pieces Autometer Pro-Comp Boost Gauge Autometer Pro-Comp AFR Gauge New silver/black ///M3 shift knob Custom trunk floor with amps mounted in bottom OMP Racing black suede steering wheel Valentine One hardwire kit/windshield mount Car Audio- Eclipse Head Unit (w/ sub control) Two Diamond Audio Amplifiers Diamond Audio mids, highs in car Two 15" Diamond Audio free air Subs in trunk Street Wires wiring Wheels/Tires, Brakes Front wheels 19x8.5 BBS CH wrapped in 245/35/19 Yokahama AVS Rear wheels 19x9.5 BBS CH wrapped in 275/30/19 Yokohama AVS Stainless Steel brake lines New PBR Metal Master pads in front (less than 500mi) HP Racing 15" Rotor HP Racing 8 Piston Caliper Suspension components- Front springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Coilovers (adjustable) Bilstein front dampers Rear springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Cupkit (adjustable) Bilstein rear dampers Total lowering (inches) (front) 1-3" Front RD Adjustable Sway bar Rear RD Adjustable Sway bar Sparco Front strut brace (adjustable) Energy Bushings NuFormz Chassis reinforcements (custom) Powerflex (brand new less than 1K miles)

Interesting pic above on the Arqray set up. Just can't wrap my head around that tho from a functionality standpoint. Instead, I'd probably run a resonator up top then have a y pipe fabricated that IMMEDIATELY fed out to both sides increasing flow, thereby eliminating the need for that crazy wrap back just to show two additional tips. Backpressure should still be fine with a setup like that.

The Arqray setup just seems to cosmetic. Thoughts?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

the exhaust looks clean though but how much is it USD?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NC916
the exhaust looks clean though but how much is it USD?
in HK it cost about $2564usd
it maybe cheaper in us
Old 04-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

wow your telling him to spend over 2G compare to the $4-500 to do quads :thumbsdown:
Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NC916
wow your telling him to spend over 2G compare to the $4-500 to do quads :thumbsdown:
he did say he dose not what to loss power
Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Senior Members

+1 cheap and easy setup lol. It will have cost me less then $250-300 to do my quads
Old 05-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bens1088
+1 cheap and easy setup lol. It will have cost me less then $250-300 to do my quads
there are many cheaper way to do the quads but most will loss power.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk
there are many cheaper way to do the quads but most will loss power.
I would rather save $2100 and lose 5hp then spend $2600 and gain 10hp.... You can make power in other ways with that money.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bens1088
Cool thanks for the pics.

Remove the stock muffler. Put a y-pipe from the resonator and run straight pipes to both sides with nice tips. Cheap and easy quads.

And you'll also lose about 10 ft/lbs of torque and 10 horsepower as well. You don't want to run straight pipes on a car because there is zero backpressure so you'll really be losing power. Plus, it will sound obnoxiously loud and farty.

Here is what I would do:

1) Buy an RPI exhaust for the 530i and purchase an extra set of tips from them. Install the RPI exhaust and on the right side install the tips with a dummy backplate or short pipe leading back a bit and tack weld it in place (or with a hanger, whatever). Only problem with that is in cold weather it will be obvious that you're only getting exhaust from one side. Then you still use 1 muffler and lose no power, just gain power!

2) Another option is removing the resonator and installing the RPI exhaust there. Then run a Y pipe to the back with 4 tips of your choice (or buy another set from RPI).

Quick Reply: Recommendations on Pipes