E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Recommendations on Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure there's a few threads on this already, but searches come up with a 100 different topics that aren't what I'm looking for. So feel free to direct me to another thread.

I'm looking to do a m-tech kit on my 530 but have some reservations about changing out the exhaust. Going to a quad setup looks badass, but I've read that I will actually loose power (I'm guessing from a decrease in back pressure). While I really don't want to loose any power, my main concern is noise. I've had several cars with aftermarket pipes, and while they are all sport/race cans, I can't deal with a constant, loud buzzing. This is my daily driver and long-distance cruising car, I don't want a headache.

My other option is to just keep a single-sided setup and change out the tips to something beefier, but let's face it... it's not as cool looking.

So any advise on a set of quad pipes that won't kill my power and are not much louder (if at all louder) than stock?

Thanks- Marc
Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 04' 545i

Need a similar setup, but on a 04 545i. My M5 rear bumper is getting painted as we speak.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ikazuchi
So any advise on a set of quad pipes that won't kill my power and are not much louder (if at all louder) than stock?

Thanks- Marc
Dummy tips on the other side.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

I'm sure there's a few threads on this already, but searches come up with a 100 different topics that aren't what I'm looking for. So feel free to direct me to another thread.

I'm looking to do a m-tech kit on my 530 but have some reservations about changing out the exhaust. Going to a quad setup looks badass, but I've read that I will actually loose power (I'm guessing from a decrease in back pressure). While I really don't want to loose any power, my main concern is noise. I've had several cars with aftermarket pipes, and while they are all sport/race cans, I can't deal with a constant, loud buzzing. This is my daily driver and long-distance cruising car, I don't want a headache.

My other option is to just keep a single-sided setup and change out the tips to something beefier, but let's face it... it's not as cool looking.

Thanks- Marc
I cut my muffler off and bought 2 sets of tips. I ran a pipe and put one on for now and when i get the mtech bumper I'll just run a pipe and stick the tips on.

its not too loud and sounds much beefier. Its super easy and cheap so in case you don't like it, you can just buy an aftermarket muffler and put it on. Doesn't hurt you/cost you anything.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bens1088
I cut my muffler off and bought 2 sets of tips. I ran a pipe and put one on for now and when i get the mtech bumper I'll just run a pipe and stick the tips on.

its not too loud and sounds much beefier. Its super easy and cheap so in case you don't like it, you can just buy an aftermarket muffler and put it on. Doesn't hurt you/cost you anything.
Wait.. so when you get the mtech bumper you'll get another stock exhaust can and stick it on the right with new tips? Unconnected, as DK mentioned? If I understood you correctly, what will I need to bolt up a "dummy" pipe?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

Wait.. so when you get the mtech bumper you'll get another stock exhaust can and stick it on the right with new tips? Unconnected, as DK mentioned? If I understood you correctly, what will I need to bolt up a "dummy" pipe?
No no. I removed the stock muffler and ran a straight pipe with a tip attached to it. When I get the Mtech, I'll just put a Y-Pipe somewhere after the Cat and run another straight pipe to the other side for quads.

I hope that makes sense?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

well I am about to take my bumper off right now to get the M5 rear painted, I can take pictures for you so it makes it easier to explain.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Contributors

Heres some pictures

have to remove 2 part of plastic in order to put quads.

The right side, the spare tire is to the left and battery holder on the right.

This is the resonator in the middle
Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

Cool thanks for the pics.

Remove the stock muffler. Put a y-pipe from the resonator and run straight pipes to both sides with nice tips. Cheap and easy quads.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bens1088
Cool thanks for the pics.

Just put a y-pipe from the resonator and run a straight pipe to the right side for quads. Cheap and easy.
yupz a member told me to replace the resonator with a muffler center/dual and run the dual side as quads great idea and save lots of money for quads

Quick Reply: Recommendations on Pipes