E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rear Inner fender trimming question... What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

I currently have 20" wheels on my car not sure what offset, I have added 12mm spacers to the rear (no rub before the spacers) but Im getting a little rubbing over large bumps and with a passenger only on bumps and dips though, not while im driving on a smooth steady road. To get a better idea the rub is not that bad but I dont want it hear it at all. I jacked the car up to see where the tire is hitting and i can see about 1/4 of an inch on the inner rear fender well. I can see exactly wear the tire is starting to take the paint off the inner well cant be seen from outside though. The inner fender is this in length but the metal seems thin. I was thinking if I cut the small piece thats rubbing and file the sharp edge I will be fine. Any suggestions on the best way to go about this, I dont know anyone in my area who rolls fenders and not sure I want to try it myself im scared I'll mess up. I dont want to remove spacers because I love the way the car sits now... All help will be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

I have the same issue with mine under the same circumstances /sadface
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
I have the same issue with mine under the same circumstances /sadface
Ever thought about cutting?... I want to try to do it myself just dont know if im risking anything by doing it. Its only a lil metal,lol.... It made a mark in my tire and I know if I cut the problem should be fixed.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Why not have your fender rolled?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 528i 6MT, Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation

i had my fenders rolled. it's ridiculous how wide they made that inner fender lip. the M5 has like no lip. i had my fender cut on my old E90. you just might want to coat it with something to prevent rusting.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Members

+1 roll the fender, Im running a 10mm spacer on a 20x10 wheel(285/30/20) tire and its fine now, with stock sport suspension.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

It seems the going rate for fender rolling is about $40 per fender...

Curious...do they still cut the inner plastic liner when the fender is rolled?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

only way is roll fender n cut plastic liner ... thats wat i did or put thinner spacer
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by balbs
Why not have your fender rolled?
I have no problem with paying for the fender to get rolled I just dont know a place in Md to do it. I kinda scared to try it myself.

Originally Posted by mo858
i had my fenders rolled. it's ridiculous how wide they made that inner fender lip. the M5 has like no lip. i had my fender cut on my old E90. you just might want to coat it with something to prevent rusting.
When you cut are you messing with the stability of the fender or is it just most people dont like cutting?... I went to the rim shop where I purchased my rims but there only solution is to cut and they want an arm n a leg. I dont want to cut I want it done the right way but I dont have a clue who does it where I am.

Originally Posted by sheldor535i
only way is roll fender n cut plastic liner ... thats wat i did or put thinner spacer
Thinner spacer isnt an option Im in love with the way it looks right now.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mo858
And when you roll does the fender actually stick out more or it just gives you the extra room you need underneath. If its stick out wider then the purpose of the spacer makes no sense unless i go bigger.

Quick Reply: Rear Inner fender trimming question... What should I do?