E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Due in May 2005 - 535d sport, Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood, Xenons, Adaptive Headlights, High Gloss Shadow Line, 6 CD Changer, M Rear Spoiler

Originally Posted by Andy E61' date='Jul 7 2005, 06:39 PM
I've used both the SNOOPER S6-Neo and now the Micro Road-Pilot and prefer the latter as it is discrete and just as effective as the big-box, all flashing lights SNOOPER.

Works with your internet connected PC via a USB connection for a downloadable GPS database for regular updates.

By default it now comes with a miniature laser detector to tell you when you have already been nicked...!

The micro is very user configurable through the synch software.

Buy it through a dealer and get it supplied and professionally fitted for about the cost of buying one off the Road Pilot website. I got mine from

www.firefox.co.uk

In fact I like it so much I just bought another one for my partners Audi TT.?

Regards
Andy

Attachment 8878
[snapback]146629[/snapback]
Andy

Like the look of the Micro Road Pilot, nice and discreet. Can it be hard wired as I'm not keen on trailing cables down to the cigarette lighter?

Also does it alert you for all types of cameras, including the mobile units?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

Originally Posted by andy535d' date='Jul 8 2005, 09:31 AM
[quote name='Andy E61' date='Jul 7 2005, 06:39 PM']I've used both the SNOOPER S6-Neo and now the Micro Road-Pilot and prefer the latter as it is discrete and just as effective as the big-box, all flashing lights SNOOPER.

Works with your internet connected PC via a USB connection for a downloadable GPS database for regular updates.

By default it now comes with a miniature laser detector to tell you when you have already been nicked...!

The micro is very user configurable through the synch software.

Buy it through a dealer and get it supplied and professionally fitted for about the cost of buying one off the Road Pilot website. I got mine from

www.firefox.co.uk

In fact I like it so much I just bought another one for my partners Audi TT.?

Regards
Andy

Attachment 8878
[snapback]146629[/snapback]
Andy

Like the look of the Micro Road Pilot, nice and discreet. Can it be hard wired as I'm not keen on trailing cables down to the cigarette lighter?

Also does it alert you for all types of cameras, including the mobile units?
[snapback]146872[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you look at my picture you will not see any wiring whatsoever, yet it is hardwired. Both the antenna and laser are also similarly installed and so it
apppears to be absolutely discreet.

It alerts to all fixed and mobile sites but so far I have not seenalerts for SPECS installations - so this is questionable - maybe someone else can comment?

Andy
Old 07-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Contributors

The B2 spots the specs sites and advises you if your average speed is too high.
As far as hardwiring, I just ran the cable under the central dash to the glove box where I picked up power from the fusebox. I also tucked the gps antenna behind my taxdisc and fed the cable into the glovebox....invisible install and only the b2 cradle visible just in front of the ashtray cover.

the micro road pilot would be even easier to conceal but it wasn't out when I bought my B2

DD
Old 07-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sweeet' date='Jul 7 2005, 08:15 PM
does anyone have a picture of the valentine 1 in their car??
[snapback]146776[/snapback]
Here you go: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=708

Read the entire post...seems VERY helpful. Also has many pics. I will be getting my V1 today and waiting to install it.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Problem for me with the Origin is that I don't have anywhere to install it - I have too many buttons on the centre console to put it where DD has it - my install is exactly the same as the previous picture and the antenna is under the rear parcel shelf
Old 07-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Members

I used to have a Road Angel (which my wife now has). It works great, but i really didn't want that sitting in my E60. So i had an integral device as paart of my tracker, amd worth every penny. It woprks really well, and can see nothing. See my earlier link
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=11507&hl=
Old 07-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Valentine One (V1) is by far the best. I'm not going to *confess* any "high-speed" antics here, but I "heard" that the V1 picks up radar way before they can catch you. At least that's what I've heard....

-Tony
Old 07-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

I did a lot of research as well, and had to get the Valentine 1. It sees everything.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

Just got the V1 in the mail yesterday. Also installed it right next to the rear view mirror with a clean install (no wires showing). The power wire is hard-wired inside the top compartment where the rain sensor wire is. Trust me, I did research on finding the best radar dectector on the market for 2 weeks straight and I must say I'm pretty confident that this radar should perform like the raving reviews (i hope )

BTW - if anyone wants to know how I hooked it up, just follow the link i posted above.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i w/ K40 front & rear radar detection, and Front Laser diffuser. 35% Johnson Executive Line window tint.

Originally Posted by andy535d' date='Jul 7 2005, 03:12 AM
Am considering buying a radar detector, and wondered how many of you guys have one, and which model would you recommend?

I know in the UK there is going to be a legality issue later in the year so any info on that would be welcome too. Thanks
[snapback]146487[/snapback]
I am using the K40 front & rear undetectable radar unit w/ Front Laser diffuser. K40 offers the option of LED Pods or you can install the LEDs into the dash. Everything about this unit is stealth. Only the LEDs are visable inside the passenger compartment. The detection units are mounted under the vehicle in the front & rear. If you have any questions email me.