E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Due in May 2005 - 535d sport, Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood, Xenons, Adaptive Headlights, High Gloss Shadow Line, 6 CD Changer, M Rear Spoiler

Am considering buying a radar detector, and wondered how many of you guys have one, and which model would you recommend?

I know in the UK there is going to be a legality issue later in the year so any info on that would be welcome too. Thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

I have Navman on my HP IPAQ, I downloaded all of the Gatso and temp camera positions FOC...works really well, gets updated regularly
Old 07-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

I considered all the options and eventually went for a Micro Pilot - basically because it was discreet and only bothered you when you were approaching a gatso and speeding. In the end I decided couldn't be bothered with laser/radar etc as it only takes a technology change to make them defunct and the laser detector will only tell you once you'd been hit anyway - I've had a few teething problems with the antenna (just fixed today) but aside from that, I've been very happy...
Old 07-07-2005, 01:26 AM
Contributors

I've been using the Origin B2 for 2 years...saved my bacon many a time....I've only the highest praise for the unit and the customer service.

(I don't use the laser or radar sensors, just the main unit....its brilliant.)

DD

www.originb2.com
Old 07-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Contributors

Here is a quick cameraphone snap of the b2

Radar Detectors-b2.jpg

DD
Old 07-07-2005, 04:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy535d' date='Jul 7 2005, 08:12 AM
Am considering buying a radar detector, and wondered how many of you guys have one, and which model would you recommend?

I know in the UK there is going to be a legality issue later in the year so any info on that would be welcome too. Thanks
[snapback]146487[/snapback]
Get a TomTom and download the free speed scamera DB. Just be careful on motorways

The legality side is going to be difficult to enforce, but if you get 'caught'...
Old 07-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

How I wish it were legal here in Singapore. The penalty is really heavy if we get caught with one. Anyway, I am tempted to get a Tom Tom on my next trip to the UK, not for use in Singapore, but for use in Malaysia when we go on one of our E60 drives.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

From what I have understood, the 'best' radar detector money can buy is the V1 (valentine one). Though it costs $400 I did ALOT of research for about a week to make my final decision in buying one. Just bought one two days ago and will have it by tomorrow. The V1 is completely upgradable (www.valentine1.com)

Read its reviews and you'll see why I based my decision on it.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

I've used both the SNOOPER S6-Neo and now the Micro Road-Pilot and prefer the latter as it is discrete and just as effective as the big-box, all flashing lights SNOOPER.

Works with your internet connected PC via a USB connection for a downloadable GPS database for regular updates.

By default it now comes with a miniature laser detector to tell you when you have already been nicked...!

The micro is very user configurable through the synch software.

Buy it through a dealer and get it supplied and professionally fitted for about the cost of buying one off the Road Pilot website. I got mine from

www.firefox.co.uk

In fact I like it so much I just bought another one for my partners Audi TT.

Regards
Andy

Radar Detectors-road_pilot.jpg
Old 07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

I use a Road Angel 2 which is a gps based system these are not going to be affected by the ban. Info can be found HERE
I have found this to be an excellent system. Plenty to be had on ebay.

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors