E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Quality vs Cheap wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

you gotta pay to play with mods, i have only owned forged wheels and i wont change even for the pricetag of $1000 or less
Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 AM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

honestly I need to buy a new set of wheels BAD! I'm thinking of staying OEM and getting 172s or the M5 wheels with a lower width tire

I'm not feeling much on the after market ones besides a select few; what do you guys think I should do? Order some OEM from my local dealer or get some aftermarket?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

I'll admit I'm a bit biased but you should go aftermarket. http://www.dpe-wheels.com/

However, if you decide to go OEM route make sure you check out https://5series.net/forums/topic/180...sory-discount/

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

when i was wheel hunting i wanted forgiatos but thy were like 6 grand i was like damn no fuckn way. so i went in the middle not to cheap not to crazy
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Also those forged wheels are going to be 2pc-3pc. Good thing about this is let's say you bend the lip, you can just replace the outer hoop instead of buying a brand new wheel.
But you could buy 4 cast wheels for the price of 1 forged. I've never had a problem with a cast wheel in over 15 years of driving on crap roads and certainly like the price point.

If your taking the car on a race track regularly or race for pink slips then you probably want forged.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

there is nothing "wrong" with a set of quality cast wheels. however, forged wheels perform better in every way: acceleration, braking, handling & durability. you don't need to be on a race track to appreciate all of those benefits.

it boils down to what you are looking for out of your wheels. if you are going for looks and don't mind sacrificing performance, the cast wheels are fine.

however, if you want a set of wheels that will actually make your BMW look AND perform better, then the choice is pretty clear.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xenonrider
there is nothing "wrong" with a set of quality cast wheels. however, forged wheels perform better in every way: acceleration, braking, handling & durability. you don't need to be on a race track to appreciate all of those benefits.

it boils down to what you are looking for out of your wheels. if you are going for looks and don't mind sacrificing performance, the cast wheels are fine.

however, if you want a set of wheels that will actually make your BMW look AND perform better, then the choice is pretty clear.

yup...this right hurrr
Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

I bet if you did a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell the difference under normal driving conditions between cast and forged. I'm 110% happy with my VMR's and my bank account is happy with the extra 4g in there.

Of course the vendors will push forged since they make more money if they sell you DPE's over VMR.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
I bet if you did a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell the difference under normal driving conditions between cast and forged. I'm 110% happy with my VMR's and my bank account is happy with the extra 4g in there.

Of course the vendors will push forged since they make more money if they sell you DPE's over VMR.

OF course you would be able to tell the difference dood, its obvious in everyway youre just being a tight wad lol
Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

for the record, I don't push the products that make me the most money, that's not how i work. if that was the case, i'd tell everyone to buy stoptech pads. i make 2-3x more money on those than hawk hps.

if someone wants cast wheels i'm going to sell them cast wheels. i'm not going to bait and switch. that's not my style and my customers appreciate this.

i always ask hey what's your budget why do you want cast why do you want forged what is your application. then and only then do i make a suggestion.

michael
acute performance

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5

Quick Reply: Quality vs Cheap wheels