E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Quad exhaust, I want Remus! but cant' figure it out...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately those diagrams are not disclosed to the public according to Remus AT.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RemusExhaustShop' post='498091' date='Nov 23 2007, 05:14 AM
All our exhausts are using a straight through design.

Congratulations on the install!

Was the difference in inlet diameter a problem when installing the system?
Have you felt a power difference?
I looked at his car while it was on the lift and could see that they had welded a short section of new pipe to the OEM piping and then clamped the Remus on this new pipe. I assume that the new pipe that they welded on was the correct diameter that was needed in order for the Remus to slip on, but it was hard to tell just by looking that the pipes supposedly had slightly different diameters.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 520i

Originally Posted by RemusExhaustShop' post='498091' date='Nov 23 2007, 09:14 PM
All our exhausts are using a straight through design.

Congratulations on the install!

Was the difference in inlet diameter a problem when installing the system?
Have you felt a power difference?
one of my friend has a remus exhaust on his 2004 E60 525i...he removed resonator and the droning is unbearable...after he changed to supersprint.... its so much less droning in the cabin... according to the exhaust shop its because the supersprint is using straight thru free flowing system whereas remus has chambers inside the mufflers

does the straight through design applies in all models? i know the older remus exhaust arent.... hence the resonance... and supersprint is actually straight thru design hence less resonance... not sure about eisenmann though.... correct me if im wrong
Old 11-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

All our exhausts has been straight throught for as much as I can remember actually.
They might have been chambered in the 90's, when I was not there, however the E60 exhausts have always been straight through.
Straight through applies to ALL models.

Thanks Rody for the clarification on the inlet size.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by xxterxx' post='498426' date='Nov 24 2007, 06:23 AM
one of my friend has a remus exhaust on his 2004 E60 525i...he removed resonator and the droning is unbearable...after he changed to supersprint.... its so much less droning in the cabin... according to the exhaust shop its because the supersprint is using straight thru free flowing system whereas remus has chambers inside the mufflers

does the straight through design applies in all models? i know the older remus exhaust arent.... hence the resonance... and supersprint is actually straight thru design hence less resonance... not sure about eisenmann though.... correct me if im wrong
It's the straight through that is more suspect for droning/resonance. Most if not all resonators are straight through perforated pipes with fiberglass/wool filled around the inside of the casing. At the rear of the car, the mufflers are usually chambered (like flowmaster turbo) or tube and chamber (like magnaflow turbo and dynomax turbo) with fiberglass/wool for sound absorption. With resonators and mufflers, droning/resonance is reduced or eliminated. With straight pipe mufflers at the rear like glasspacks, these are simply another resonator at the rear. The reason anyone calls straight through mufflers "mufflers" is because of the larger size and thereby more effective with sound absorption versus glasspacks.

I highly doubt that the Remus Quad setup muffler is straight through because you have 1 inlet and 2 outlets, especially when the 2 outlets are 180 degress of each other. It's not physically possible. Think of it like a blended "T". Unless the right side piping is pseudo, straight through muffler is unlikely on the Remus quad setup.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

There is one outlet on the quad system, I'm not sure you understand our tip design, here's a look :
http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/e6061-525i...07.html?image=3

The tips can be dual, however they originate from ONE outlet.
There's one inlet for the exhaust stream coming from the engine, inside there's a a small Y pipe that divides flow into the secondary pipe to the right side.
The technicians kept the straight through design, however in order to do so, the right side is functional but not as much as the left side.
They are not chambered, they are direct piping/straight through.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='498079' date='Nov 23 2007, 06:35 AM
Thanks for allowing me to hear the Remus Peter.....from both inside and outside the car. I went on a 5 minute ride in the car and the sound inside was very civilized. I did not hear any droning/resonance at all. Most of the time when we talk about resonance we only think about the sound, but with many exhausts that have resonance (like my old B& you not only hear the resonance/droning but you also feel the vibrations. With the Remus there was no resonance sound and no vibrations....the car felt silky smooth.

The noise level is also very civilized as it is not a huge amount louder than the stock, but with a very different tone of coarse. I think it's always better to have the exhaust be too quiet vs. too loud because you can always remove resonators if you wish to make it a bit louder. Another benefit for me is the fact that the Remus did not have as much of a V8 sound as other mufflers do. Peter, correct me if my impression is wrong. Even though I heard the sound from inside the car for about 5 minutes, I only heard it from outside for less than 30 seconds, so I could be wrong here. To me it seemed like a hybrid of a V8 and I6 sound, which was sort of cool.

Anyways, I have ordered one of these Remus quads as well and hopefully will have it on my car in a few weeks, although probably not in time for the SoCal meet.

Hey Peter, are you coming to the SoCal meet?
Yes, it doesn't have the muscle car v8 sound, definitely refined and a nice growl. I find myself though stomping on the gas way too much and my mpg has dropped to about 11mpg LOL

Where's the SoCal Meet and when? I'd love to go
Old 11-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by newbiebimmer' post='498517' date='Nov 24 2007, 10:48 AM
Yes, it doesn't have the muscle car v8 sound, definitely refined and a nice growl. I find myself though stomping on the gas way too much and my mpg has dropped to about 11mpg LOL

Where's the SoCal Meet and when? I'd love to go
We voted on two possible dates and more people wanted to do it on Saturday 12/15, so that's when it'll be and it'll be another Angeles Crest run plus lunch. Here's the current thread for the meet, but I think we're going to have a new thread soon with the details: >>>>>CLICK HERE<<<<<
Old 11-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='498468' date='Nov 24 2007, 08:35 AM
.....I highly doubt that the Remus Quad setup muffler is straight through because you have 1 inlet and 2 outlets, especially when the 2 outlets are 180 degress of each other. It's not physically possible. Think of it like a blended "T". Unless the right side piping is pseudo, straight through muffler is unlikely on the Remus quad setup.
This picture is from a Borla Transverse muffler, but I assume that the Remus is setup in a similar way. The inlet branches into two, and one of the two makes a U-turn to exit from the back. I guess I would still consider this a straight through design because there are no chambers, walls, etc.

Quad exhaust, I want Remus&#33; but cant&#39; figure it out...-transverse_flow_muffler.jpg

Quad exhaust, I want Remus&#33; but cant&#39; figure it out...-borla_universals.jpg
Old 11-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xxterxx' post='498426' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:23 AM

The B&B that I used to have on my car was a straight through free flow system and it had the worse droning I have heard, even to this day. I think it's the opposite......the straight through systems are more prone to droning and the chambered designs are less prone.

Quick Reply: Quad exhaust, I want Remus! but cant' figure it out...