E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Quad exhaust, I want Remus! but cant' figure it out...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, with everyone's help here, special thanks to RemusExhaustShop and especially Rodybmw I got he Remus Quad installed on my 550!!!

I went to Vincent from EuroRev and he installed the Remus for the 530, onto the 550. It wasn't as big of a deal as we made it. It was a simple clamp.

I also went with the Hamann Diffuse, and I can just tell you it looks SWEET!

As for sound, there is definitely NO droning at all. Not at highway cruising or around town. It does sound amazing at startup and when you get on the gas. Rody got a quick ride in it and can comment.

I love driving with my windows down now just to hear it I would say it added about 30% sound to the exhaust at idle and normal driving. And about double when you stomp on the gas.

Admittadly it is just a tad quiet for me, I want it just a bit louder but I'm waiting for the muffler to fully break it as I've been told it gets louder as the muffler breaks in. Rody started this thread for me http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=47221&hl=

I definitely don't want any droning, and it's a tough choice here. I can still do business calls in the car with the windows up, on the freeway, around town etc and in cabin sound only increased maybe 10%, pretty un noticeable. My wife hasn't commented so that's good No one on the phone can tell I have a louder exhaust.

But on the other hand, I just want it to sound like a beast sometimes when I pull up to a light... Maybe another 25% increase in sound would be nice.

It's nice and deep btw, not raspy at all. Definitely a nice growl..

Overall Vincent at Eurorev was awesome, and I definitely recommend the Remus sound for a deeper exhaust note.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by newbiebimmer' post='498027' date='Nov 22 2007, 11:57 PM
Ok, with everyone's help here, special thanks to RemusExhaustShop and especially Rodybmw I got he Remus Quad installed on my 550!!!

I went to Vincent from EuroRev and he installed the Remus for the 530, onto the 550. It wasn't as big of a deal as we made it. It was a simple clamp.

I also went with the Hamann Diffuse, and I can just tell you it looks SWEET!

As for sound, there is definitely NO droning at all. Not at highway cruising or around town. It does sound amazing at startup and when you get on the gas. Rody got a quick ride in it and can comment.

I love driving with my windows down now just to hear it I would say it added about 30% sound to the exhaust at idle and normal driving. And about double when you stomp on the gas.

Admittadly it is just a tad quiet for me, I want it just a bit louder but I'm waiting for the muffler to fully break it as I've been told it gets louder as the muffler breaks in. Rody started this thread for me http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=47221&hl=

I definitely don't want any droning, and it's a tough choice here. I can still do business calls in the car with the windows up, on the freeway, around town etc and in cabin sound only increased maybe 10%, pretty un noticeable. My wife hasn't commented so that's good No one on the phone can tell I have a louder exhaust.

But on the other hand, I just want it to sound like a beast sometimes when I pull up to a light... Maybe another 25% increase in sound would be nice.

It's nice and deep btw, not raspy at all. Definitely a nice growl..

Overall Vincent at Eurorev was awesome, and I definitely recommend the Remus sound for a deeper exhaust note.
Can you post some sound clips?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='498036' date='Nov 23 2007, 01:19 AM
Can you post some sound clips?
i'll try later this week as I'm traveling. But I realized after listening to all the online sound clips, none are really all that accurate to what it's like in real life.

There's a few other posts out there for the remus sound, but I'll try..
Old 11-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by newbiebimmer' post='498040' date='Nov 23 2007, 12:25 AM
i'll try later this week as I'm traveling. But I realized after listening to all the online sound clips, none are really all that accurate to what it's like in real life.

There's a few other posts out there for the remus sound, but I'll try..
I think the key to your non droning is that the rear muffler is a baffble muffler. It is sort of like the Dynomax turbo series where the exhaust snakes through 3 chambers but perhaps not insulated. The reason it is 10% louder than stock is because the stock is filled with fiberglass and SS wool.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Contributors

Thanks for allowing me to hear the Remus Peter.....from both inside and outside the car. I went on a 5 minute ride in the car and the sound inside was very civilized. I did not hear any droning/resonance at all. Most of the time when we talk about resonance we only think about the sound, but with many exhausts that have resonance (like my old B& you not only hear the resonance/droning but you also feel the vibrations. With the Remus there was no resonance sound and no vibrations....the car felt silky smooth.

The noise level is also very civilized as it is not a huge amount louder than the stock, but with a very different tone of coarse. I think it's always better to have the exhaust be too quiet vs. too loud because you can always remove resonators if you wish to make it a bit louder. Another benefit for me is the fact that the Remus did not have as much of a V8 sound as other mufflers do. Peter, correct me if my impression is wrong. Even though I heard the sound from inside the car for about 5 minutes, I only heard it from outside for less than 30 seconds, so I could be wrong here. To me it seemed like a hybrid of a V8 and I6 sound, which was sort of cool.

Anyways, I have ordered one of these Remus quads as well and hopefully will have it on my car in a few weeks, although probably not in time for the SoCal meet.

Hey Peter, are you coming to the SoCal meet?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='498042' date='Nov 23 2007, 01:30 AM
I think the key to your non droning is that the rear muffler is a baffble muffler. It is sort of like the Dynomax turbo series where the exhaust snakes through 3 chambers but perhaps not insulated. The reason it is 10% louder than stock is because the stock is filled with fiberglass and SS wool.

All our exhausts are using a straight through design.

Congratulations on the install!

Was the difference in inlet diameter a problem when installing the system?
Have you felt a power difference?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

cool, congrats newbiebimmer!
Old 11-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RemusExhaustShop' post='498091' date='Nov 23 2007, 07:14 AM
All our exhausts are using a straight through design.

Congratulations on the install!

Was the difference in inlet diameter a problem when installing the system?
Have you felt a power difference?
Do you have a diagram of the muffler? I'm not doubting your statement. I'm just curious as to how the pipes work with single on the inlet and single on the and dual outlet with straight through. Is it like a super wide split Y?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

Here's a picture from the Sebring site, we don't have diagrams of the universals on hand however Sebring, which is the same company as Remus basically, has one:

Old 11-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RemusExhaustShop' post='498322' date='Nov 23 2007, 07:52 PM
Here's a picture from the Sebring site, we don't have diagrams of the universals on hand however Sebring, which is the same company as Remus basically, has one:

Thanks for the diagram. I was looking for the one that is for the quad setup . . . the other piping that goes to the right side.

Quick Reply: Quad exhaust, I want Remus! but cant' figure it out...