E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

pre-LCI to LCI halogen checklist

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

If you search it's been discussed before ... https://5series.net/forums/topic/103...en-conversion/ watch the title "not a DIY" so take it w/ a grain of salt and also I don't think he selling the cable anymore.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
If you search it's been discussed before ... https://5series.net/forums/topic/103...en-conversion/ watch the title "not a DIY" so take it w/ a grain of salt and also I don't think he selling the cable anymore.
1. Ok so for the halogen headlights this is the pin diagram to use. See below.

2. Also if I am to install the LCI tails and just use the plugs G and H below, then code OEM retrofit without running cable/swapping pins on the LM2, will it still work?

3. You see G3 and H3 cables in the third photo, are those the cables which are currently installed into the car and go from the tail lights to the LM? Or are they added as extra cables as part of the conversion cabling?

Thanks for all the help on this, research makes all the difference
Attached Thumbnails pre-LCI to LCI halogen checklist-elec_schema_61-12-0-432-110-.jpg   pre-LCI to LCI halogen checklist-capture.jpg   pre-LCI to LCI halogen checklist-capture1.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

1. Maybe, I converted pre-LCI halogen -> LCI Bi-Xenon so I jumped 2 hops and never seen the back side of LCI halogen.

2. Don't think so, on the LCM where that long part of cable you have to pull from the tail lights to LCM gonna go are in use so I think w/o swapping pins and that long cable you have to run something will not lit up (maybe the rod?)

3. You see on your conversion kit pic #2 on cable G/H has a single separate cable (kinda where the arrow pointed) from the loom? That is the long one you have to pull between the tail <-> LCM.

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
1. Ok so for the halogen headlights this is the pin diagram to use. See below.

2. Also if I am to install the LCI tails and just use the plugs G and H below, then code OEM retrofit without running cable/swapping pins on the LM2, will it still work?

3. You see G3 and H3 cables in the third photo, are those the cables which are currently installed into the car and go from the tail lights to the LM? Or are they added as extra cables as part of the conversion cabling?

Thanks for all the help on this, research makes all the difference
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Ok so it seems unless you run the exact cables as per BMW guide it won't just work.
I was hoping you can just make a plug and play cable like ehssan made here: https://5series.net/forums/topic/106...st__p__1322775
Wonder if that will work along with the OEM coding?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

I thought we are talking about the headlight conversion ... as for the tail I don't know ... my step was using Bruce v6 cable before my conversion and using the conversion kit cable then coding 'cuz I went full OEM LCI conversion so never try any other way ...

Anyway w/o coding just cable it'll lit up the wrong way and iDrive warnings ... if you search there are bunch of member(s) using the conversion cable w/o coding + don't want to buy Bruce cable that tried.

Ehsan way of coding is not OEM way it's tricking (kinda re-arrange) to make which LCM pin lit up which bulb on the tail ...
Old 02-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

For the headlights its pretty straight forward, cut old wire at the plug and rewire as per diagram, I assume parking lights error will happen after so hopefully a removal of bulb errors will fix it, if not then I can apply OEM coding for LCI retrofit. But if I do OEM coding then I would need to wire tail lights as per BMW instructions and really don't want to take the car apart for that, hence trying to find another way for the tails.
Ehssan's way would be fine if its plug and play but that seems to need coding also and I don't want to mix NCS coding in this.
What if I have OEM coding for both headlights/tails and use Bruce cables for tails? Will that give errors?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yeah dunno ... you have all the info and much more if dig up w/ search.

I'm confuse now as you making the whole thing much more complicated, so I guess go for it and see how it turn out ...
BTW I did my own coding using NCS expert 'cuz I like to do modding myself and it worked great on my conversion.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
For the headlights its pretty straight forward, cut old wire at the plug and rewire as per diagram, I assume parking lights error will happen after so hopefully a removal of bulb errors will fix it, if not then I can apply OEM coding for LCI retrofit. But if I do OEM coding then I would need to wire tail lights as per BMW instructions and really don't want to take the car apart for that, hence trying to find another way for the tails.
Ehssan's way would be fine if its plug and play but that seems to need coding also and I don't want to mix NCS coding in this.
What if I have OEM coding for both headlights/tails and use Bruce cables for tails? Will that give errors?
Dude you started this thread to discuss a halogen headlight retrofit, but now you are jumping allover the place with all the taillight questions... Some of these questions you are asking about the taillights/Bruce's cables have been discussed on other threads. Lets keep this thread a simple as possible with info, part numbers and tips about the pre-LCI to LCI halogen headlight conversion. Sorry, I am not trying to be rude Lets focus on the main subject here
Old 02-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Senior Members

Well the way I am trying to do this involves the tail lights, so this is relevant to my setup.
Trying to get the conversion done without the new LCM hence all the tail lights questions.
But I think I have found a way to fix that, you can get a plug and play cable for the LCI tails and an OBD interface which codes just the tails. This should be fine with the older LCM.

Don't worry I will update this with any progress, I think many people will benefit if I can get this done without a new LCM