E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

pre-LCI to LCI halogen checklist

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I've decided to go for this as it seems to be the best option right now.
I have a few questions I hope I might get a sure answer to.
Here goes:

1. I need a new LCM, since my car is 09/2005. The new LCM must be from a post 09/2006 car right?
2. Are all LCM2s the same? Or there are different xenon and halogen ones?
3. Do Us LCMs work on EU cars?
4. Is the new LCM plug and play with the existing car harness or modification is required?
5. What if I was to just connect the LCI halogens to my car and then code the car to ignore all bulb errors with Autologic? Will everything work as normal, or that causes power issues? If that works its a better solution than coding the full retrofit on the LCM since then I would need to retrofit LCI tail lights at the same time (its on the books but for later).
6. According to https://5series.net/forums/topic/974...ight-question/ halogens to LCI halogens require no coding/replacing of the LCM?
7. what happens if I just install the LCI halogens before I install/code the new LCM? Will they work and just get idrive errors?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

I don't have any answers to your questions, but I'm really interested in this project. My car is pre-LCI halogens, and I would love to swap to LCI halogens vs the adaptive bi-xenons. Less money involved right? If you do end up getting all the info, parts and cost etc, please do a DIY writeup!

Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

That's the plan. Just need to make sure I buy the right parts first. Mainly the LCM.
Anyone know if LCM with part no: 9 203 082 is LM2?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

1. Hard to say exactly but the trend is late model '06 uses LM2
2. The difference its more in Adaptive function
3. It should.
4. Some pins differences like halogen and xenon then also pre-LCI and LCI
5. You can but it'll also not notify you for bulb out.
6. Correct, just will not have LCI goodies such as welcome light etc.
7. You will get error on parking light, 'cuz pre-LCI halogen has 2 AE on each light while AFAIK LCI halogen uses single AE.

Related to #1 ... in my case the label of my LCM has "LM II" wording printed on it that seems to indicate it's LM2, so you may want to pop out and look at your current LCM and see what info you can get.

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
Ok I've decided to go for this as it seems to be the best option right now.
I have a few questions I hope I might get a sure answer to.
Here goes:

1. I need a new LCM, since my car is 09/2005. The new LCM must be from a post 09/2006 car right?
2. Are all LCM2s the same? Or there are different xenon and halogen ones?
3. Do Us LCMs work on EU cars?
4. Is the new LCM plug and play with the existing car harness or modification is required?
5. What if I was to just connect the LCI halogens to my car and then code the car to ignore all bulb errors with Autologic? Will everything work as normal, or that causes power issues? If that works its a better solution than coding the full retrofit on the LCM since then I would need to retrofit LCI tail lights at the same time (its on the books but for later).
6. According to http://forums.5serie...light-question/ halogens to LCI halogens require no coding/replacing of the LCM?
7. what happens if I just install the LCI halogens before I install/code the new LCM? Will they work and just get idrive errors?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for that, can certainly try LM1 first and if no luck then LM2.
Will the AEs be normal brightness if I just use LM1 and cancel bulb errors or will they be dimmer? The HID low beams have cancellers built in which don't show bulb out anyway, but its easy to check that in car in front's rear bumper.

What are the differences in extra things that LM2 has? If its just welcome lights I can probably live without
Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Subscribed I want to do this mod towards the end of the summer .
Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Not sure on LCI halogen AFAIK it may not dim since on the original halogen I don't think it has dimming ... well the big thing most people want on the LCI light is the welcome light the soft on/off ability is popular feature but for the rest when in use w/ halogen and not using LCI tails (the led rods) you probably won't miss much as the rest seems to be the same functionality.

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
Thanks for that, can certainly try LM1 first and if no luck then LM2.
Will the AEs be normal brightness if I just use LM1 and cancel bulb errors or will they be dimmer? The HID low beams have cancellers built in which don't show bulb out anyway, but its easy to check that in car in front's rear bumper.

What are the differences in extra things that LM2 has? If its just welcome lights I can probably live without
Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Senior Members

Well if that seems to be it, I have lived this far without it. I need the visibility upgrade most of all.
For the rears I can always go for a Bruce cable if I go for the non LM upgrade way. Though its probably not cost effective in the long run.
Quick question about the rear lights and Bruce's cable, can that have the fog/brake light reversed so that when you brake the circular bulb turns on and then when you turn on the fogs the 2 bulbs behind the bars turn on?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

I was looking at BMW instructions for the retrofit kit and apparently you need to run extra cables from taillights to LCM? Also a few pins need to be swapped on the LCM? Also they only give pin outs for xenon and AHL no halogen headlights.
Bruce/anyone? Is the above true or not?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

You have to run cable from the tails and pin swaps if you do full conversion those steps are basically matching the head/tail lights w/ LM2 and you tell your car you have LCI lights.

Since you are doing ... in a way 'hybrid' then your car still know you have halogen head/tail lights just the actual kind instead of pre-LCI halogen you are using LCI halogen and the tails instead of LCI tails (directly) you either using pre-LCI tail or LCI tail with Bruce cable.

You have to find and merge various pin out info from many sources, use WDS at the very least. Pin swaps are on Xenon 'cuz you have to deal w/ higher wattage AE then the new additional cable from the tail but for halogen -> halogen no different.

There's no different on LCI halogen EXCEPT single AE instead of dual AE bulb on each reflector on pre-LCI so you either have to code it and disable the check or use resistor. Well, the plug is different too but think back, on both kind the same blinker and the same hi/lo-beam that uses H7.

In fact if you search there's a member that used to sold pre-LCI halogen -> LCI halogen headlight plug conversion cable.

Quick Reply: pre-LCI to LCI halogen checklist