E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Powerchip software boosts 545 to 344bhp

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Aug 13 2004, 07:50 PM
Didn't Lomag have a powerchip installed that registered LESS hp and torque on his dyno than before the chip? It's in his signature.
I think that may have been someone named Marinkop or something like that on Bimmerfest forums.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Aug 13 2004, 06:07 PM
InitialD,

What swayed you to the 545 over the M3?
Just the fact that i've had my E46 since it first same out...mine was actually a pre- 9/98 build date..... and i dont want to have basically the same car except faster.. lolz.also.. i'm seeing m3's EVERYWHERE here in So Cal. everybody and their mom has one it seems.. all with the same ACS front, HRE's, etc.. not really unique anymore...

also.... i kinda wanted a bigger car than another 3er.... but not the SAV x5... so.. the logical next bump up was the 545i..not too shabby performance numbers either!!

but the real kicker.. was the Roundel with CEC's show car..... blew my pants off...lolz
Old 08-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Senior Members

i previuosly had an m3 an considered chipping but found there to be lots of conflicting advise. Makers like DMS boasted bhp gains from 343 to 360bhp. These claims however were doubted by members of the uk m3 forum (bm3w.co.uk) as not possible without mechanical changes to air intake, exhaust and engine. There were also examples of chips decrementing performance or impacting driveability.

in my view i wouldn't believe the claims and wouldn't entrust the well being of my engine to anyone other than bmw/alpina.

jonboy
Old 08-14-2004, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

Wow. You guys are conservative. There are TONS of things you can do with a chip to increase power. And yes there are compromises sometimes. Manufacturers have to be conservative with RPM limiters, timing, air/fuel mixture etc. All these tings can get you about 5%.

Think about it - BMWs have to run smoothly in most countries of the world. They are designed to run perfectly smoothly on 90 or slightly less octane at 8,000 feet and have the motor last 250,000 miles. They have to make conservative tuning decisions.

HP increases are absolutely possible from chips (without changing breathing - ie intake or exhaust)

That being said - I wouldn't void my warranty either...
Old 08-14-2004, 01:37 AM
JDN
Contributors

What you say is evidently true. At least that is the Dinan pitch. A Dinan rep (Steve Dinan, IIRC) came to our local BMWCCA meeting one Saturday morning and gave quite a presentation of the difference between Dinan engineering and BMW engineering. An example was the mufflers. BMW builds mufflers for the world and some countries have very definite restrictions. Dinan removes those restrictions that are legal for other countries and increases the output by decreasing the back pressure. The exhaust and the cold air intake were the best options for output increase per buck spent.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Aug 14 2004, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't void my warranty either...
If you do chiptuning the tuning company providing the chip should give youthe warranty. That's how it is over here in Germany. So with chiptuning you don't lose the warranty, it's just covered by somebody else than BMW.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:33 AM
JDN
Contributors

Iceman, I think Dinan is the only one that BMW will honor, and, according to some, the Dinan thing is an unwritten agreement.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 14 2004, 04:47 AM
[quote name='300TTto545' date='Aug 14 2004, 11:30 AM'] I wouldn't void my warranty either...
If you do chiptuning the tuning company providing the chip should give youthe warranty. That's how it is over here in Germany. So with chiptuning you don't lose the warranty, it's just covered by somebody else than BMW. [/quote]
With most companies this is true. But if you have a serious problem with your engine I would rather deal with bmw than with a tuner that hopefully insured this risk.

I don't think you can get in big trouble with the large tuners like hamann, ACSchnitzer, Alpina and for the US Dinan. But smaller companies without a decent trackrecord.. mmmhh I wouldn't risk it.

Btw. Dinan is not available in europe is it??
Old 08-14-2004, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

But, do you really think you can damage a BMW engine ???
Old 08-14-2004, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Aug 14 2004, 05:33 AM
Iceman, I think Dinan is the only one that BMW will honor, and, according to some, the Dinan thing is an unwritten agreement.
Dinan offers their own warranty ... but since they're so closely tied with BMW.... it's pretty much a BMW warranty as those dealerships that offer Dinan must meet certain requirments whith BMW.. such as x # of Master techs / service bay and some other ones........

Quick Reply: Powerchip software boosts 545 to 344bhp