E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

please tell me how to remove headlight assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, first post here...

I bought my girlfriend an hid kit for xmas. If it was my car I would probably bodge the install without removing the full headlight assembly and have it done in 30 minutes.

It's not my car so I want to do the best job possible and that means removing the full headlight assembly. I've searched on here and on google and was very surprised that I can't find instructions on how to do this. I would have thought i'd find some sort of guide on youtube but I couldn't.

The only instructions i've found is on ehow and it says remove two bolts at the top and one at the back/bottom. I cannot see one at the bottom.

the car is a uk 2003 model e60, it didn't have 8mm bolts, it had tork screws.

Please could someone advise me on how to pivot this baby out so I can get started.

Lastly, does anyone have a good solution for ballast mounting.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stevolution
Hi everyone, first post here...

I bought my girlfriend an hid kit for xmas. If it was my car I would probably bodge the install without removing the full headlight assembly and have it done in 30 minutes.

It's not my car so I want to do the best job possible and that means removing the full headlight assembly. I've searched on here and on google and was very surprised that I can't find instructions on how to do this. I would have thought i'd find some sort of guide on youtube but I couldn't.

The only instructions i've found is on ehow and it says remove two bolts at the top and one at the back/bottom. I cannot see one at the bottom.

the car is a uk 2003 model e60, it didn't have 8mm bolts, it had tork screws.

Please could someone advise me on how to pivot this baby out so I can get started.

Lastly, does anyone have a good solution for ballast mounting.
There is a video in this post < http://forums.5serie...on-pre-lci-e60/
Old 12-26-2010, 03:23 AM
Members

Honk, I really really appreciate your prompt and useful response. Thanks a lot mate, superb. I saw those wee screws as well and didn't think it was anything to do with them because when I shoogled the unit they all moved as well.

Just need somewhere to put ballasts now, I seen someone do an audi install on youtube, he simply tucked everything inside the light unit, surely it's gonna get a bit warm in there. Would be nice not having to chop the rear light covers and not having to mount ballasts but i'm not sure it's a good idea.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Members

Oh i also meant to ask. Does anyone know which wire is negative and which is positive? I'm sure you can reverse the polarity for a normal bulb but don't want to take the risk with the xenon unit. are the wires red and yellow. If someone could tell me which wires are which that would be awesome.

just to clarify, it's the wires going to the dipped h7 plug.