E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Plastic Dip

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by cleung
quick question guys. I'm thinking of plasti-dipping my wheels as well, but I'm not sure if I should just do the lip in matte black or if I should do the whole wheel. What do you guys think?
My wheels are similar to yours. I would do matte black centers with gloss black lips.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace333
Looks really clean. nice job. I am still skeptical on doing mine. Seems from distance it might look nice but up close cheap? Are there any tricks to get nice even coverage or is it just several light coats over top of one another that even it all out.
Believe me they look great up close. 2 friends thought I had them powder coated.

Now since it was my first attempt I wasn't sure what to would happen. First coat 50% transparenty. Enough so the next coat will bond. I did it on the car so I just kept going wheel to wheel around the car. By the time you do the fourth wheel have a sip of your favorite beverage the first wheels is ready for the next coat. I did like 5 coats just cause I was on a roll. The first wheel I had sprayed a little to close in one spot (3rd coat) and I thought I was screwed. I did the other three wheels came back to do the next coat on the 1st and it had blended in. Stuff is amazing.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by balbs
My wheels are similar to yours. I would do matte black centers with gloss black lips.
hmmm, never thought about doing that. How hard to you think it will be to tape off the centers? How do you plan on doing this?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Contributors

hmmm, never thought about doing that. How hard to you think it will be to tape off the centers? How do you plan on doing this?
If I were to do it, I guess it would be done in 2 stages per wheel.

Stage 1: I would start by painting the lips gloss first.
Get large paper or open a paper shopping bag. Cut about a 18.5" diameter circle and tape it to the center.
Also tape up parts of the center just where it meets the lip.
Tape up the tire if you want
Tape or cover the surrounding fender of course
Paint the lips

Stage 2: Paint the center
When the lips are completely dry
Tape up the lips
Take off the center covers
Put plastic to cover the rotor and brake parts as another member suggested
Paint the centers.

I don't think it would be that difficult, just tedious. However, I don't know the exact curing time of the plastidip paint for one to safely start taping on it so that it can be covered.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by balbs
If I were to do it, I guess it would be done in 2 stages per wheel.

Stage 1: I would start by painting the lips gloss first.
Get large paper or open a paper shopping bag. Cut about a 18.5" diameter circle and tape it to the center.
Also tape up parts of the center just where it meets the lip.
Tape up the tire if you want
Tape or cover the surrounding fender of course
Paint the lips

Stage 2: Paint the center
When the lips are completely dry
Tape up the lips
Take off the center covers
Put plastic to cover the rotor and brake parts as another member suggested
Paint the centers.

I don't think it would be that difficult, just tedious. However, I don't know the exact curing time of the plastidip paint for one to safely start taping on it so that it can be covered.
This is looking promising. I've always wanted to change my wheels but was always worried that I wouldn't like it after, with plastidip if I don't like it I can just peel it off. Thanks, now I just have to find somewhere that sells it in Canada. The only place that I know of so far wants $20/can for it
Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Contributors

I'm on the same boat. I have brushed aluminum centers and actually want to change it up to gunmetal. I'm wondering how the Plastidip Smoke would look on that. Not quite gunmetal but would look interesting. I just hope the smoke version would peel off as easily as the regular gloss paints.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Contributors

BTW...I usually use P21s or Sonax on my aluminum wheels. I'm guessing you can't use those on Plastidip correct?

What would you use on plastidip to keep brake away?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Contributors

I'm not sure what sonax will do to plastidip? Right now I'm having trouble finding some to buy in Canada. Does anyone know of a cheap online place I can order from?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Msport

gonna follow naitch's lead and plastidip the 124's to see how they look black. doesn't seem like anyone's having any real issues, and imo most black rims look beast
Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528XI

Amazon.com??? Im assuming can ship into Canada.

I'm not sure what sonax will do to plastidip? Right now I'm having trouble finding some to buy in Canada. Does anyone know of a cheap online place I can order from?

Quick Reply: Plastic Dip