E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Plastic Dip

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be attempting to do my whole car but I am debating on either matte black or matte white. What do you guys think?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport pak. all the other goodies.. MODS: M5 front, sides, aFe throttle body spacer, RPI Red scoop, amber angle eyes, powder coated sport rims, tinted tail lights. smoked side blinkers, color of car and rims roundels, real carbon fiber roof spoiler, 550i number flat black, LED license plate lights, MTX 12' sub, dyno mat, tinted Windows, flat black grill, flat black exhaust tips, light smoke headlight tint, foged out eyelash, velocity booster.

its like a spray on wrap!!! i wonder if the home depo or auto zone has this stuff. im going to look tomorrow haha. if they do, im spraying my roof
Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

Originally Posted by white535xi
I will be attempting to do my whole car but I am debating on either matte black or matte white. What do you guys think?
your cars white already... so get the red one instead of black!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by SD5Series
just bought some plastic dip gloss, some black and white dip. Going to go experiment on doing some grilles. good deal from dipyourcar.com

Item number Description Qty. Unit price Total price
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1001 PlastiDip Spray 7.00 USD
- Color: Black
1002 PlastiDip Spray 7.00 USD
- Color: White
16 Glossifier 2 8.58 USD 17.16 USD
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal: 31.16 USD
Shipping / handling: 10.80 USD
VAT: 0.00 USD
=================================
Total: 41.96 USD
If you're doing your wheels, you didn't get enough of black or white. That is, unless you don't want it to be easily removable. With one can, you might be able to cover 4 wheels in two coats, but you'll need at least a good 4 coats or so to have the layer build in order for future removal. Few layers will have the dip be too thin and adhere/stick to the surface undesirably (for removal). But no fret, you can get the canned spray at Home Depot for about that price (might be just $6 actually).

Originally Posted by Baggman
its like a spray on wrap!!! i wonder if the home depo or auto zone has this stuff. im going to look tomorrow haha. if they do, im spraying my roof
Yes, they sell it at Home Depot. Get at least 2-3 cans.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
If you're doing your wheels, you didn't get enough of black or white. That is, unless you don't want it to be easily removable. With one can, you might be able to cover 4 wheels in two coats, but you'll need at least a good 4 coats or so to have the layer build in order for future removal. Few layers will have the dip be too thin and adhere/stick to the surface undesirably (for removal). But no fret, you can get the canned spray at Home Depot for about that price (might be just $6 actually).
i'm not doing my rims, just the side and front grille. i'm experimenting.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i Alpine White / Tan

matte white FTW!!!! plus your door jams / under hood / trunk will look better

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc

Yes, they sell it at Home Depot. Get at least 2-3 cans.
Correct, in order to get a nice smooth finish and strong protective barrier you want to do atleast 3-4 coats....for my 20" staggered wheels I used a can per wheel to not only hold up longer but be easier to peel off if/when I do take it off
Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems
Model Year: 2008

I used at least 1 can per wheel. and they sell it at Home Depot and Lowes for less than that website does. My first test wheel I didn't spray it close enough and started over after a 3 or so coats. was a complete bitch to get it off. You really need put on many coats so it's easier to peel off.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Members

Did my wheels about a week ago. They look great. Just drove thru the automated car wash and they came out great. I used one can per wheel. That was 4-5 coats per wheel. I did it on the car also.
Attached Thumbnails Plastic Dip-m166.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Contributors

Since I have gloss black accents how would that look with matte white?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Since I have gloss black accents how would that look with matte white?

I think it would fantastic. Chris did an actual wrap of motorcitym3's ride in matte white and it looked amazing. If I am not mistaken, they also went with gloss black accents.

Quick Reply: Plastic Dip