E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Plastic Dip

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by oc2vgs
Did my wheels about a week ago. They look great. Just drove thru the automated car wash and they came out great. I used one can per wheel. That was 4-5 coats per wheel. I did it on the car also.
You left your wheels on? Didn't the overspray get on your calipers and rotors? Or did you somehow manage to cover them without taking the wheels off.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Contributors

This will def be a nice weekend project
Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
yup I've read several articles and seen many youtube videos of plastidips durability...my rear valence has been done for about 4 months and I pressure wash it at the car wash atleast one a weeek with no issues. I just did my wheels a week ago and so far they are holding up as well.

after
Wow your valence turned out great, how many cans did you need?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kaizen
You left your wheels on? Didn't the overspray get on your calipers and rotors? Or did you somehow manage to cover them without taking the wheels off.
I too am curious if you left your wheels on and/or how you were able to do this.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by fritolay
I too am curious if you left your wheels on and/or how you were able to do this.
can't speak for him but I took my wheels off. If you leave your wheels on you'll need to tape the calipers and rotors up using blue painters tape or something. you do NOT want any overspray hitting your brakes.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kaizen
Yes, I left my wheels on. I didn even use any painters tape. I just put newspaper behind the wheels to cover te calipers and rotors. I put index cards all the way around the lip of the rim to prevent over spray on the tires. This was a quick job to see what it would look like and it came out nice. Next time i will take off the wheel so i can paint the inside of the wheel too.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i Alpine White / Tan

I did mine with the wheels off but thats only because I was redoing my brakes. Here is a video for a DIY wheel job with wheels on...

For my valence I only used about 1/2-3/4 of a can. It was my first plastidip job and I hadnt done much research at that time and just kind of wing'd it, it still came out great though. This stuff is MUCH more forgiving than regular spray paint with regards to running, even coats, etc.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Members

Did my rims this weekend. Turned out great. 4-5 coats and sprayed them right on the car.
Rather than blue taping the brakes and calipers I cut a kitchen garbage bag down the middle half
way so it looked like pants and stuffed it inside the rim and covered everything.
Some one showed this somewhere and it made sense. Saved alot of taping.
Just what I wanted.
Plastic Dip-my-car-3.jpgPlastic Dip-my-car-2.jpg
Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528XI

Looks really clean. nice job. I am still skeptical on doing mine. Seems from distance it might look nice but up close cheap? Are there any tricks to get nice even coverage or is it just several light coats over top of one another that even it all out.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

quick question guys. I'm thinking of plasti-dipping my wheels as well, but I'm not sure if I should just do the lip in matte black or if I should do the whole wheel. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Plastic Dip