E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pictures of my BMW crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

sorry to hear this.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are you guys talking about!!! this type of damage and you dont think it was necessary for airbags to deploy-i had the exact same scenario at a quarter the speed and my airbags deployed-I had no need for them I hardly hit the guy-cost me an extra 2k for the new wheel and computer coding/resetting of airbags-did my car over react? I would understand if it was consistent but I dont think one 5er should react different than another-honestly my car barely hit the guy,i did not even come close to needing the airbag-i wish mine did not go off-maybe they improved the system in a couple years but on mine it was so much more sensitive.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

wow.. glad to hear your okay. sucks for your car though.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Diamond' post='1012700' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:33 AM
what are you guys talking about!!! this type of damage and you dont think it was necessary for airbags to deploy-i had the exact same scenario at a quarter the speed and my airbags deployed-I had no need for them I hardly hit the guy-cost me an extra 2k for the new wheel and computer coding/resetting of airbags-did my car over react? I would understand if it was consistent but I dont think one 5er should react different than another-honestly my car barely hit the guy,i did not even come close to needing the airbag-i wish mine did not go off-maybe they improved the system in a couple years but on mine it was so much more sensitive.
Again, it's impossible for anyone except an experienced crash investigator to determine whether or not an airbag should have deployed. There are cases where cars are completely totalled and the bags did not (and should not have) deployed. Failures of airbag systems, although possible, are actually quite rare, especially in a newer car (and, I suspect, even more rare in newer BMWs.)

For those of you who keep deciding that the bags should have deployed based only on post-crash photos of this and other accidents, please read the following article that includes good information from the NHTSA:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006...s_new_cars.html

Also, take a look at this page from the NHTSA website:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/air...gs03/page3.html
(pay particular attention to the quote "Because air bag sensors measure deceleration, vehicle speed and damage are not good indicators of whether or not an air bag should have deployed. Occasionally, air bags can deploy due to the vehicle's undercarriage violently striking a low object protruding above the roadway surface. Despite the lack of visible front-end damage, high deceleration forces may occur in this type of crash, resulting in the deployment of the air bag."
Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bubajay' post='1012661' date='Sep 21 2009, 02:38 AM
What exactly is the "diminished value settlement". Would it work on a leased car??? thanks.
No, not on a leased car.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Either way - get rid of that car as soon as possible. It looks like at least some frame damage in the pics. If it was my car I'd get rid of it ASAP if they didn't total it out. Modern cars are well designed to crumple in the right spots when an impact happens, however, after frame damage happens that part of the frame remains forever weakened (ever try to straighten out aluminum foil or a soda can that was crushed? you will NEVER get it perfectly straight and stable as it was originally. Be safe and get a new car)
Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Options: Sports Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Navigation/ USB(iPod) Mods: Tint (lolololol) any ideas? I LOVE THIS CAR!!! (WAAAAAYYYYY better than my previous MB E350, but quite a bit more expensive :( )

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1012706' date='Sep 21 2009, 05:48 AM
Again, it's impossible for anyone except an experienced crash investigator to determine whether or not an airbag should have deployed. There are cases where cars are completely totalled and the bags did not (and should not have) deployed. Failures of airbag systems, although possible, are actually quite rare, especially in a newer car (and, I suspect, even more rare in newer BMWs.)

For those of you who keep deciding that the bags should have deployed based only on post-crash photos of this and other accidents, please read the following article that includes good information from the NHTSA:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006...s_new_cars.html

Also, take a look at this page from the NHTSA website:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/air...gs03/page3.html
(pay particular attention to the quote "Because air bag sensors measure deceleration, vehicle speed and damage are not good indicators of whether or not an air bag should have deployed. Occasionally, air bags can deploy due to the vehicle's undercarriage violently striking a low object protruding above the roadway surface. Despite the lack of visible front-end damage, high deceleration forces may occur in this type of crash, resulting in the deployment of the air bag."

Ok, but is it normal for the car to say: SRS Malfunction???? Cuz that is what it said.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

That should buff right out

Seriously though, glad your ok. It's just a car, and very replaceable.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Is there anything that is going to be replaced that you could part out to cover remodding the mods?
Lights? I'm guessing no, but doesn't hurt to be in contact with a good body shop to see what they will need to replace and what you can part out if it's not to bad.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Options: Sports Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Navigation/ USB(iPod) Mods: Tint (lolololol) any ideas? I LOVE THIS CAR!!! (WAAAAAYYYYY better than my previous MB E350, but quite a bit more expensive :( )

Originally Posted by Audi_Eatter' post='1013140' date='Sep 21 2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident.

Is there anything that is going to be replaced that you could part out to cover remodding the mods?
Lights? I'm guessing no, but doesn't hurt to be in contact with a good body shop to see what they will need to replace and what you can part out if it's not to bad.

I was actually wondering.....since insurance is giving money or the replacement of the bumper, hood, what not, I was thinking, couldn't they give that money, and instead of having this seperate bodyshop (that works with BMW) put the OEM, have them put the M Aero from BMW???? I talked to the mechanic today and he said it was possible. My thing is, I don't wanna pay extra for that crap. I was just thinking that if they are gonna spend money and put on the bumper anyway, why not just put on the M Aero bumper instead of the OEM. Same price right??? When you upgrade your bumper from BMW or anywhere, you pay because the bumper costs money and you want to replace your bumper. In this case, the body shop is gonna put on a new one anyway, why not have it be the one that looks better....am I right?? I just repeated myself multiple times, but do ya get what i mean???

Quick Reply: Pictures of my BMW crash