E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pictures of my BMW crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 320d touring' post='1012222
seriously if your air bags did not deploy-you have discovered either a one in a million fault in your car or a design flaw depending on how big of a vehicle this lincoln was-to not set off sensors despite totalling your front-very wierd.
I'm no expert at how the airbag logic is programmed but I do know that you can't judge an accident's impact and it's related G-forces transmitted to the driver just by looking at a crumpled car. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that the more mangled the car, the more the impact was absorbed by the crumple zones designed to do just that. In other words, the cars with very little crumple will often times be the ones where the airbags deploy. The accidents where the front end is totally crumpled might just mean that the measured forces were not enough to trigger the deployment of the bags.

Also, from the looks of things, it really looks more like the the driver may have realized there was going to be an impact and hit the brakes hard just before impact. This will cause the front end to nose down and, considering the target vehicle was a large SUV, likely made the BMW front bumper dive below the bumper of the other car. In other words, the SUV bumper pressed the hood way back, the hood buckled exactly as it was supposed to do, and the radiator and crossmember were taken out as well. The bumper may have sustained the most damage whenever the cars were pulled apart. The airbag sensors are located in the bumper as well as a central sensor located near the console.

The fact that your mom wasn't injured pretty much tells me that there was no need for an airbag deployment. I'd say all the talk about lawsuits is just typical of our lawsuit-happy society. What exactly are the damages that you'd sue for?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. Glad to hear your mom is a-okay !
Old 09-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1012365' date='Sep 20 2009, 01:26 PM
The fact that your mom wasn't injured pretty much tells me that there was no need for an airbag deployment. I'd say all the talk about lawsuits is just typical of our lawsuit-happy society. What exactly are the damages that you'd sue for?
Exactly. If there are no damages caused by the alleged defect, there is no viable lawsuit whatsoever. Not every perceived wrong is grounds for a lawsuit. Don't get me wrong. If the airbags should have deployed but didn't and that caused the OP's mom to be injured (which thank heavens did not happen), I'd be the first one beating the war drums. The fact that the OP's mom walked away leads me to believe that the E60 worked exactly as designed -- absorbing the impact in the crumple zones so that the impact's force was not transmitted to the passenger compartment.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I agree the crumple zones did their job and air bag deployment was probably not necessary. I wonder if BMW is able to and does analyze crash data. The probably hundreds of real world E60 crashes that have happened in 5 years would show whether the safety systems worked far better than a few lab crashes.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='1012395' date='Sep 20 2009, 02:56 PM
I agree the crumple zones did their job and air bag deployment was probably not necessary. I wonder if BMW is able to and does analyze crash data. The probably hundreds of real world E60 crashes that have happened in 5 years would show whether the safety systems worked far better than a few lab crashes.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2009-0...-injuries_N.htm
Updated 1/8/2009
BMW sensors calculate chances of injury in a crash
By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY
Automaker BMW will announce this weekend a new direction in car safety protection with a system that calculates for emergency responders the likelihood of severe injuries in a crash.
Sensors in all 2009 BMWs except the M3 now can assess car damage and other factors, data that experts say can be crucial to letting arriving firefighters and paramedics know what to expect and where they should be prepared to take the injured.
"This could save thousands of lives," says Jeffrey Augenstein, a physician who is director of the William Lehman Injury Research Center that worked with BMW.
Part of the next wave of safety technology from automakers, this system is aimed at a relatively recent problem: Because of today's air bags and other passive safety systems, victims may not have the obvious external signs of major injuries.
If the car can tell rescuers how bad the crash was, they can better assess whether someone might have major, but less obvious, internal injuries.
Systems such as General Motors' OnStar already can sense a crash and its site, and report it to authorities. BMW's system uses sensors and an algorithm to determine crash severity on a 1-to-100 scale. Factors include deceleration level, seat belt use, impact direction and whether the crash involved multiple objects. A rating above 20 signals the call center that potential injuries should be considered major. An unbelted driver who hits one object at 27 mph has a 20% chance of injury. Hitting more than one object raises odds to 56%, the Lehman center estimates.
The new system also is important because the BMW Assist response center cannot reach the driver over the two-way talk system in up to 14% of accidents, says Peter Baur, BMW's product analysis manager.
Since 2006, OnStar has been able to give its operators data on accident force and angle and whether the vehicle rolled over, among other things, OnStar President Chet Huber says. While he thinks BMW's system is different, but not necessarily better than OnStar, he welcomes all efforts to create safer cars.
It's a step "toward every vehicle being able to help" in a serious accident, Huber says.
The system is in keeping with a study group by the Centers for Disease Control's Injury Center to see how rescuers can take advantage of the advanced telemetry being built into cars.
The goal is to "make sure the (victim) gets to the right place in the right amount of time," says Dr. Richard Hunt, director of the Division of Injury Response.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Options: Sports Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Navigation/ USB(iPod) Mods: Tint (lolololol) any ideas? I LOVE THIS CAR!!! (WAAAAAYYYYY better than my previous MB E350, but quite a bit more expensive :( )

Originally Posted by 320d touring' post='1012222' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:02 AM
If the airbags in the other car posted by texaz3 went off and the ones in your car not, there is definitely something wrong and you can sue BMW and make a lot of money out of this.
I know right???

I saw his damage, and his airbags were out. WTF???? I definitely want BMW to do something about this bullshit. I'm going to try to get my parents to get an M-Tech bumper or something outta them. This is ridiculous.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Contributors

OMG... im so sry to see this, hope everyone is ok, thats the main thing...
Old 09-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bubajay' post='1012496' date='Sep 20 2009, 07:37 PM
I know right???

I saw his damage, and his airbags were out. WTF???? I definitely want BMW to do something about this bullshit. I'm going to try to get my parents to get an M-Tech bumper or something outta them. This is ridiculous.
One additional point I forgot to mention earlier about advanced airbag deployment...the bags may not deploy if the occupant is wearing a seat belt and the car's sensors determine that the seat belt alone will be sufficient to keep the person safe. Conversely, if the occupant is not wearing a seat belt, the bag may deploy on a much lesser impact in it's attempt to protect the person.

I have to say that it looks to me as if you're selectively reading only the posts that support your "position" and ignoring the ones that are based firmly in the real world.

As many of us have said, in different words however, there is no "bullshit" going on here and frankly, in my opinion, BMW doesn't owe you anything. To be honest, if you ask me, I think your mom owes a big thank you to BMW for helping her to not be injured whatsoever...
Old 09-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Options: Sports Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Navigation/ USB(iPod) Mods: Tint (lolololol) any ideas? I LOVE THIS CAR!!! (WAAAAAYYYYY better than my previous MB E350, but quite a bit more expensive :( )

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1012548' date='Sep 20 2009, 07:20 PM
One additional point I forgot to mention earlier about advanced airbag deployment...the bags may not deploy if the occupant is wearing a seat belt and the car's sensors determine that the seat belt alone will be sufficient to keep the person safe. Conversely, if the occupant is not wearing a seat belt, the bag may deploy on a much lesser impact in it's attempt to protect the person.

I have to say that it looks to me as if you're selectively reading only the posts that support your "position" and ignoring the ones that are based firmly in the real world.

As many of us have said, in different words however, there is no "bullshit" going on here and frankly, in my opinion, BMW doesn't owe you anything. To be honest, if you ask me, I think your mom owes a big thank you to BMW for helping her to not be injured whatsoever...

First of all, I logged on for the first time when I posted that reply since the previous reply, so I wasn't ignoring anything. I took it into consideration, but a person in my postion is definitely allowed to still be frustrated. I think you know that as well. If you are going to give some criticism to my "selective" thoughts and opinions, please wait until I get this thing resolved because I don't need it right now.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='1012068' date='Sep 19 2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear man.
Since it is 2008, it will not be totalled. It would have been if it was an 04 or 05. There is probably about $25K worth of damage, more if airbags deployed. I'm not even kidding.
This was a $16.5K fix:

Ask for diminished value settlement from your insurance!

What exactly is the "diminished value settlement". Would it work on a leased car??? thanks.

Quick Reply: Pictures of my BMW crash