E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pics: Pittsburgh Springs installer: Auto Illusions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Dave - Car looks AWESOME! It's amazing what a nice set of wheels and lowering springs can do to the look of a car. You're going to hate me for saying this, but there's one more thing you need to do...

You need to swap your chrome trim around the windows for shadowline trim. The parts are cheap and you can do it yourself.

Lastly, the red reflectors look great! Well done man. It's too bad you live so far...I'd love to see your car in person!

As for the issues that Thomas (Bambi) mentions, it's definitely a little bouncier, but nothing crazy. That was expected, as the shocks aren't meant to pair with these springs. The rebound is off, hence the reason it feels "bumpier". And I don't lose contact with the road, but then again, I'm not sure how the roads are by Bambi. Our roads are decent, so I never have an issue. It's also one of the reasons I NEVER drive my car into Manhattan (the actual city of NY). With those roads, I'd probably crack a wheel, destroy my shocks and just runi my car. Only my SUV goes into the city. Not my boy.

One question I do have for those that have done these springs is, does anyone get any creaking sounds when they hit a little bump? It feels as though they need to grease the springs on the strut tower. It's almost as if the springs are rubbing against the strut tower, which makes that sounds like "nails on a chalkboard". It's as if it's so dry, that when the springs compress or have weight bearing on one side, they make this nasty squeaking sound. I'm wondering if I should get them greased up... Anyone experience this? Dave, Thomas?

Overall though, I am 100% satisfied. I took my car into Rally BMW 2 days ago. They needed to add a quart of oil. When the guy brought my car in, all the mechanics stopped to check it out. And this place has 90 stalls! When he came out, he said that all the mechanics thought my 5 was the nicest looking 5 they've seen in a long time and when they learned it was an "xi", they were floored! I love it! Hahahahaha!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

DRlev, the car looks so much sportier , and still has the BMW german appeal with the wheels.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

C,

It's too early for me to know about the creaking. I will keep an ear out this week for it. As for the shadowline trim, that isn't something I really care about one way or the other. It looks great with your black car, but with mine, the chrome is ok with me. I'll be posting some new pics tonight....got some great ones today! I can't wait to see how many people ask me about my car in the days and weeks to come. We'll see!

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='441891' date='Jun 30 2007, 01:55 PM
Dave - Car looks AWESOME! It's amazing what a nice set of wheels and lowering springs can do to the look of a car. You're going to hate me for saying this, but there's one more thing you need to do...

You need to swap your chrome trim around the windows for shadowline trim. The parts are cheap and you can do it yourself.

Lastly, the red reflectors look great! Well done man. It's too bad you live so far...I'd love to see your car in person!

As for the issues that Thomas (Bambi) mentions, it's definitely a little bouncier, but nothing crazy. That was expected, as the shocks aren't meant to pair with these springs. The rebound is off, hence the reason it feels "bumpier". And I don't lose contact with the road, but then again, I'm not sure how the roads are by Bambi. Our roads are decent, so I never have an issue. It's also one of the reasons I NEVER drive my car into Manhattan (the actual city of NY). With those roads, I'd probably crack a wheel, destroy my shocks and just runi my car. Only my SUV goes into the city. Not my boy.

One question I do have for those that have done these springs is, does anyone get any creaking sounds when they hit a little bump? It feels as though they need to grease the springs on the strut tower. It's almost as if the springs are rubbing against the strut tower, which makes that sounds like "nails on a chalkboard". It's as if it's so dry, that when the springs compress or have weight bearing on one side, they make this nasty squeaking sound. I'm wondering if I should get them greased up... Anyone experience this? Dave, Thomas?

Overall though, I am 100% satisfied. I took my car into Rally BMW 2 days ago. They needed to add a quart of oil. When the guy brought my car in, all the mechanics stopped to check it out. And this place has 90 stalls! When he came out, he said that all the mechanics thought my 5 was the nicest looking 5 they've seen in a long time and when they learned it was an "xi", they were floored! I love it! Hahahahaha!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by jordan23junkee' post='441908' date='Jun 30 2007, 03:27 PM
DRlev, the car looks so much sportier , and still has the BMW german appeal with the wheels.
Thanks, Jordan! More pics tonight!