E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Picking up new 530.. ur thoughts on 3M autobahn on hood and Rear bumpe

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Hi Guys,

The time has come to pick up the new 5 at the dealer tomorrow. Ofcourse the finance guy is trying to sell me on 3M auto guard. He's willing to sell the guard including the rear bumper at 595. Lifetime gar. for fading.

Question is, how will the rear bumper look with this coating? Does it look acceptable on the hood as well? Just wanted to know your thoughts and insight. I want to keep the car looking new. Has anyone doen this to there rear bumper?

Would I be makign a mistake?

Thanks

JK
Old 11-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

I was able to checkout some pictures in our photo gallery, and I thik someone with a silver gray car got the procedure done on the rear end as well.

I want to go ahead and order this...but still looking for a little peace of mind from you guys...let me know what ya think

JK
Old 11-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Im actually getting it done this Sunday. I had the same apprehension that you have, but googling this forum for (clear bra, etc.) gave me piece of mind. Its hardly noticeable, you have to be looking for it. Also its a must on L.A. freeways, those f'in trucks are always dropping little rocks . I hope this helps. Ill post picks before and after once its done.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jk479' post='196293' date='Nov 10 2005, 01:53 PM
Hi Guys,

The time has come to pick up the new 5 at the dealer tomorrow. Ofcourse the finance guy is trying to sell me on 3M auto guard. He's willing to sell the guard including the rear bumper at 595. Lifetime gar. for fading.

Question is, how will the rear bumper look with this coating? Does it look acceptable on the hood as well? Just wanted to know your thoughts and insight. I want to keep the car looking new. Has anyone doen this to there rear bumper?

Would I be makign a mistake?

Thanks

JK
I think it is a good idea on the front, but I wouldn't do the rear. Also, I assume you mean only part way up the hood--covering the area small rocks are likely to hit. I have no idea what you should pay. My gut feel is that you are paying too much if you pay more than 50% of their starting price.

And, congrats and enjoy your car.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Definitely a good thing to do.
Just had mine done on the entire front end.
Problem with the BMW alternative is that the hood protection (assuming that it is the one shown in the BMW Accessories catalog) is much less than what can be made available.

I don't know where you're located. If in the Bay Area then Invisiguard is a good company to work with. Do a search on "Jeremy" and "Invisiguard". Check out the Bay Area Meet and Greet topic, under "Meet and Greet" Forum -- I have some photos of Jeremy installing the clear bra on my 530i.

Cheers.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Members

Hi Guys,

Decided on both the front and rear. A member of our e60 forum had it on his car. I like the idea that a minor scratch would not mess up the rear apron. Also, if its really not attractive...then it can be removed. So all in all, I am excited at the prospect of keeping the car looking new longer.

The person who has a silver gray 545i on this forum did this same procedure on the rear fender...
Old 11-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Members

weird...I must be a little bit nervious.. After reading the posts, I have decided not to coat the rear bumper. Actually left a message for the person who sold me the 3m, the finance guy, and told him to hold off on the rear bumper, but to go ahead with the front bumper.

We'll see tomorrow...if it gets done...is it easy to take off if it looks aweful? Yikes, jitters before delivery...
Old 11-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Contributors

your title said 3M Autobahn ?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:36 AM
Members

Sorry for the mis-spelling and confusion. Its basically the clear bra option that I am refering to.

I had the dealership change the order and JUST do the front of the car. I think I needed only one post tellingme the rear might be a mistake, and I got cold feet.

I might have them do it in the future...but not at the moment. So only the front will get this treatment. Looking forward to the results.

Oct Production: 530i Stick Shift, NAV, PREM, SAT, COLD Weather, Sport, ect. Silver/ Black.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Congrat on the new car.

Execelent tranny choice

Quick Reply: Picking up new 530.. ur thoughts on 3M autobahn on hood and Rear bumpe