E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Personalized license plates...cheesy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

I've toyed with the thought of getting personalized plates for a while now, but could never convince myself that it's a good idea. I've seen some terrible ones, some good witted ones, some funny, some dumb...etc., but I'm sure everyone thinks their plates are awesome, because...well, they're theirs!

Nonetheless, I think I've come up with my "awesome" plate of course, but still on the fence about it. Does it make one look stupid by attracting attention? My e60 is tinted...20% all around, I have a fairly subtle Grateful Dead sticker on the back of the car, which also goes along with my plate idea...so is this going to attract police? Not that I have anything to worry about other than getting a speeding ticket, but do police think that people with personalized plates are self-indulgent? I dunno...guess I'm just looking for general thoughts on this, so if you want to take the time to respond, I thank you in advance!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by cryptical
I've toyed with the thought of getting personalized plates for a while now, but could never convince myself that it's a good idea. I've seen some terrible ones, some good witted ones, some funny, some dumb...etc., but I'm sure everyone thinks their plates are awesome, because...well, they're theirs!

Nonetheless, I think I've come up with my "awesome" plate of course, but still on the fence about it. Does it make one look stupid by attracting attention? My e60 is tinted...20% all around, I have a fairly subtle Grateful Dead sticker on the back of the car, which also goes along with my plate idea...so is this going to attract police? Not that I have anything to worry about other than getting a speeding ticket, but do police think that people with personalized plates are self-indulgent? I dunno...guess I'm just looking for general thoughts on this, so if you want to take the time to respond, I thank you in advance!
My friend is a California Highway Patrol officer. He says yes, personalized license plates do attract his attention. Also it would make him see if you have front plates mounted that match. Especially on luxury cars who typically don't have front plates mounted. Not good if your state requires front plates. Also, personally, "vanity" plates are called that for a reason. But, to each his\her own.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Just don't get E60 or anything, people will act a fool to you
Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Originally Posted by balbs
My friend is a California Highway Patrol officer. He says yes, personalized license plates do attract his attention. Also it would make him see if you have front plates mounted that match. Especially on luxury cars who typically don't have front plates mounted. Not good if your state requires front plates. Also, personally, "vanity" plates are called that for a reason. But, to each his\her own.
Hey now, and thank you for the quick reply!
Yeah that's what I've been pretty much telling myself over and over, but then again...why should I care about what the everyday person on the road that I don't know thinks of it? I just don't want to look like an asshole. I'm in CT and front plates are required, but I don't have an issue with at at all...one less reason to get pulled over for anything.
But I'm an old Deadhead, seen them about 200 times and this would actually have a dual meaning and I personally think it's perfect for the car, but I'm a pretty low key individual for the most part, so like I said I really don't have anything to worry about as far as the law goes, but I also wouldn't want it to be a reason to hurt my chances of getting out of a ticket or at least getting the fine reduced...etc.
ANYWAY...one of my favorite old songs of theirs is "Born Cross-Eyed", so I was going to go with "BRN?XID" and being the car is a xi and all...just kinda made sense. Not to mention, I personally think that if you just kinda glance at it, it doesn't look too personalized.
I could also ponder this on a night that I'm not drinking Maker's Mark as I may look like an ass for just starting this thread anyway!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil
Just don't get E60 or anything, people will act a fool to you
Uh oh...
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

I have personalized plates: most on here try to individualize their cars anyway, so why not plates? Better than some vulgar bumper sticker, or a fake turbo sticker. To each his own. I love it[img]webkit-fake-url://47193388-F643-41CA-BC8A-B006A296E38F/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Go for it. You won't regret it. I think there are two types of ppl out here: fthose for & against. Me: I dreamt about owning a BMW since the day I got an acceptance letter to UofM. I knew en that one day o could afford one in the future and I knew right then that I'd get a personalized BMW themed plate for it. I love mine. LOVE mine!
I say go for it!
No matter what you do in life, remember HATERS GONNA HATE. There's not much you can do to change or avoid that lol so live ur life like there's no tmrw (within reason)
Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

Originally Posted by umichchris' timestamp='[url="tel:1329370781"
1329370781[/url]' post='1420085]
Go for it. You won't regret it. I think there are two types of ppl out here: fthose for & against. Me: I dreamt about owning a BMW since the day I got an acceptance letter to UofM. I knew en that one day o could afford one in the future and I knew right then that I'd get a personalized BMW themed plate for it. I love mine. LOVE mine!
I say go for it!
No matter what you do in life, remember HATERS GONNA HATE. There's not much you can do to change or avoid that lol so live ur life like there's no tmrw (within reason)
+1on that !
Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Members

Wow! Some great positive feedback and encouragement to boot! I'm realllllllly digging this board, there's some great people here and compared to some other boards I've visited, there's no comparison...I think I'm going to start calling this place "home", and if any of you boys are ever in CT, hit me up and drinks on me!
I also came from the world of SAAB, had an 03 9-5 Aero I bought new up until the day I traded up to my 535xi which was pretty much one year and 15,000 smilin' miles ago! There's not a day I drive this car that I don't just f*cking love it! I pondered modding my Aero for 9 years but I couldn't justify throwing a LOT of cash in for a little HP/Tourqe gain on a FWD car...just never seemed worth it, but in about 9 weeks into the 535xi I got a Cobb AP, and the fun has just begun! The Aero was 1000 lbs less for the most part and fun to drive...but alas, there is zero comparison to the 535xi no matter what them boys back there in the SAAB forums think...it's actually quite comical as they honestly believe the cars are in the same class with BMW and Audi. I gotta say though, I beat the snot out of that car and outside of general maintenance, I only put a grand total of about $425 out of pocket in repairs over 120k miles or so. That still doesn't make up for the total repairs in the other 3 SAABs I owned!

Anyway, I'll stay back on topic here but thanks again for everyone's feedback, you guys are great!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by umichchris
I say go for it!
OH and "Chris", I take it ? I've followed some of your threads over on the M5 board, nice ride BTW! But, I just wanted to say how sorry I was to see the one about the rocks in the windows and whatnot. No matter how good of a person you are, it's still a shitty world for some reason and no one deserves to have something like that done to them, that really sucks. I hope you got everything taken care of and worked out though, I just hate seeing stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Personalized license plates...cheesy?