E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Orion V2 Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Nice you all done with it?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Great job
Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
By the way, just wondering, how many hours have you put into this?

According to my wife 2 days minus 10 hours of sleep for both days. Basicly had a pillow in the garage (lol) While it is really not that big of a job I ran into too many things a novice would.

1. My garage heating is on Propane, that died to begin with.
2. I took a while to figure out exactly how I would mount the Angle eyes.
3. Being 2 carefull costed a lot of time
4. Running into the problem with the Eyebrow section filled with plastic dirt, I know the picture doesnt show much of it but it was like BAD
5. Then I decided to do the eyebrow mod
6. Then went out hunting 7 stupid Radio Shack stores only to find 9 of the LED lights -- Still need another 3 to do the other light
7. The main outer seal(Glue) on the headlights has not yet started (lol)

Its going to take another week for me since I work full time and I will come back home and try playing with this stuff

I would try to seal both the lights by tomorrow but who knows

If you ask me now - For a person who knows not much, I would say -- STAY AWAY or be VERY VERY CAREFUL. Your taking a big risk but if you know what you are doing and are ready to take whatever comes then Boy the world is your to concur.

By the way, I had taken a picture of my prototype yesterday(Remember the red ring I had in mind), with a dim radio shack bulb - The actual will be a lot darker red.

COMMENTS WELCOME -- I know the final pictures might get more but this is the first step
Attached Thumbnails Orion V2 Install-20101211_009.jpg  
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Contributors

Also, have a few more ideas in mind - Belive me they would be WORTH every minute I spend on them.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I had the same reaction when I did mine, I'd say stay away from it. Looks great man, they make a biiiig impact on the car
Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Glad it's working out so far.

Quite a bit of work huh theraceboss, lol.

With you were out here in Socal, my buddy and I would get you in and out in 8 hours

At the same time, it gives you an opportunity to learn a little more about your car

Good luck with finishing it up, and especially with the sealing.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Glad it's working out so far.

Quite a bit of work huh theraceboss, lol.

With you were out here in Socal, my buddy and I would get you in and out in 8 hours

At the same time, it gives you an opportunity to learn a little more about your car

Good luck with finishing it up, and especially with the sealing.
Dude - Your the dean of the school I am trying to graduate from

Also, I am trying to be CAREFULL here - If I were to do this job over again I would not take much time - Probably as close to how fast you are.

No offense -- I dont believe in the "Just do it" (Nike slogan)
I belive in "Do it right" and then I am learning buddy and learning with all the support from people who did it and do it all the time (you)

the next idea I have in mind -- if it works many of you might do a standing ovation .
Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Contributors

Let the fun RESUME -

The RADIOSHACK led's are okay but was not really happy with them. Decided to do something more.

First tried to empower the eyebrow with crazy brightness (look at the picture using a special LED)
Soldered a small led ring -- The output was MIND blowing

I left the circuit on the car and went over inside for something - The circuit somehow got contact with the car ground and blew up -

I could see the damn thing as I was walking in from the garage door. I guess I kept it in such a place that it was on the edge and when I opened the garage door, the burst of air caused it to move and touch some positive line of the circuit with the car ground DAMNNN!!!!

-----OTHERWISE this IDEA was FLAWLESSSS

GUYS --- YOU CANNOT IMAGINE THE LIGNT OUTPUT IT SENT TO THE EYEBROW -- Sorry didnt take a picture.

The way I did it was cut the legs of the eyebrow square led so small that it touches the circuit all the way, then you bring in this new led on top of it and glue it there.
Attached Thumbnails Orion V2 Install-20101215_007.jpg   Orion V2 Install-20101215_004.jpg   Orion V2 Install-20101215_006.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 03:38 AM
Contributors

NOW -- PANIC MODE

CIRCUIT BURNT What to do -----WHAT TO DO -----

Well, here comes another IDEA which gets even BETTER --- THIS WILL HELP ALL THOSE WHO DAMAGE THEIR CIRCUITS

WATCH CAREFULLY.

Took an LED strip and arranged the leds in the exact same position the original LED's were stationed.

NOTE -- To do this, you will have to remove all the leds from the board and then try this.

Notice, I have used double sided 3M tape on the circuit to hold the leds in place

Whats the output like --- CAN ANYONE GUESS ????????????????????????????????????

SUPERB - While my EYEBROW is not as bright as it was with the above idea, it is brighter than it would be with the original square led's.

I could have combined both the ideas but just went with the second one since -- Its just more reliability.

One led circuit takes care of everything, but I guess I should have combined them, tooo late anyways.
Attached Thumbnails Orion V2 Install-20101216_002.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 03:54 AM
Contributors

I know a lot of you are watching and dont say much but please I would certianly appreciate your comments

Quick Reply: Orion V2 Install