E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

opinion on 2008 528i

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 2008 528i, which I'm so excited about. I want to add a bit of power to the engine, but I haven't found any info about chip/software or anything on the forums that I can add to the car. What would you guys suggest? Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Originally Posted by bammir' post='475998' date='Sep 30 2007, 01:24 AM
I got 2008 528i, which I'm so excited about. I want to add a bit of power to the engine, but I haven't found any info about chip/software or anything on the forums that I can add to the car. What would you guys suggest? Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

Thanks in advance.
Rather then spending money now for more hp, you should have spent a few more $$$ and gotten a 535i.

BP
Old 09-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='476040' date='Sep 30 2007, 04:56 AM
Rather then spending money now for more hp, you should have spent a few more $$$ and gotten a 535i.

BP

That's exactly how I feel today. But it wasn't a money issue in the first place. It was the feedback that I got from some forums and friends that the turbo engine is not reliable and it fails in hot weather. The BMW salesman himself told me I"m better off getting the 528 over the turbo engine which according to him was only few more horsepower but less reliable.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bammir' post='476114' date='Sep 30 2007, 12:57 PM
That's exactly how I feel today. But it wasn't a money issue in the first place. It was the feedback that I got from some forums and friends that the turbo engine is not reliable and it fails in hot weather. The BMW salesman himself told me I"m better off getting the 528 over the turbo engine which according to him was only few more horsepower but less reliable.
Take it back to the dealer and tell the salesman you are "not better off" with the 538i and you want to trade it in for a 535i. If they are col they wlll make you a good deal. You will loose some $$$ but in the end it will be worth it.

BP
Old 09-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='476126' date='Sep 30 2007, 10:23 AM
Take it back to the dealer and tell the salesman you are "not better off" with the 538i and you want to trade it in for a 535i. If they are col they wlll make you a good deal. You will loose some $$$ but in the end it will be worth it.

BP

I tried that already. But, they're not cool enough. They started talking about the upside-down and big money loss. So, I thought of spending a little bit on performance now, and look for someone to carry my lease next year to avoid big loss.

Do you think I should take it to another dealer for trade-in? What would be a reasonable loss?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bammir' post='476134' date='Sep 30 2007, 01:34 PM
I tried that already. But, they're not cool enough. They started talking about the upside-down and big money loss. So, I thought of spending a little bit on performance now, and look for someone to carry my lease next year to avoid big loss.

Do you think I should take it to another dealer for trade-in? What would be a reasonable loss?

the way i see it your going 2 loose regardless...

modding the 528i = $ in performance you wont recoup in the long run and therefore $ lost later.
trading in the 528 for 535 still gives you a loss but you are getting the power you wanted + getting a more expensive car that will eventually have more value at a later trade in then the 528i with mods. if i were you i wouldnt put too many miles on the 528 and go trade it in asap while its still worth more with less miles. that's my .02 to answer your question on how much loss would be reasonable. id say figure how much you were willing to spend on mods for the 528 and use that as an estimate on how much to loose. wether it was 1,2,or 3k

and about the whole reliability thing of the 535 and turbo engines... i'll just say this .... who cares!!! thats what warranties are for... unless your keeping the car past 50k miles i wouldnt worry about it too much.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='476141' date='Sep 30 2007, 02:06 PM

modding the 528i = $ in performance you wont recoup in the long run and therefore $ lost later.
trading in the 528 for 535 still gives you a loss but you are getting the power you wanted + getting a more expensive car that will eventually have more value at a later trade in then the 528i with mods. if i were you i wouldnt put too many miles on the 528 and go trade it in asap while its still worth more with less miles. that's my .02 to answer your question on how much loss would be reasonable. id say figure how much you were willing to spend on mods for the 528 and use that as an estimate on how much to loose. wether it was 1,2,or 3k

and about the whole reliability thing of the 535 and turbo engines... i'll just say this .... who cares!!! thats what warranties are for... unless your keeping the car past 50k miles i wouldnt worry about it too much.
Then just add a 75-100 shot NOS system for ~$1000 and be done with it. When the lease is over take off the NOS system and sell it on eBay or put it on the next car you buy. Best thing is you can remove the NOS when the car goes to the dealer so they will never know.

BP
Old 09-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bammir' post='476114' date='Sep 30 2007, 09:57 AM
That salesman is not doing a very good job for BMW if he is making statements like that...

What forums caused you to think the twin turbo engine was unreliable. E90 forums, I suspect, where was a lot of complaining about early model 335s that did not have the oil cooler. AFAIK, all the 535s have had the oil cooler, and the problems with the twin turbo have been minimal. I think you received poor advice, and it may be costly to correct the error now.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='476141' date='Sep 30 2007, 11:06 AM

What would I tell the dealers? I've already asked 3 dealers and they told me that there is no cooling off period by the law and they advised me not to think about it for another year. I'm not sure if I was using the right language or asking for the right thing.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tuco' post='476191' date='Sep 30 2007, 01:24 PM
That salesman is not doing a very good job for BMW if he is making statements like that...

What forums caused you to think the twin turbo engine was unreliable. E90 forums, I suspect, where was a lot of complaining about early model 335s that did not have the oil cooler. AFAIK, all the 535s have had the oil cooler, and the problems with the twin turbo have been minimal. I think you received poor advice, and it may be costly to correct the error now.

Unfortunately, I learned that now only. I originally bought my car back in May and didn't get the right advise.

Quick Reply: opinion on 2008 528i