E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OBD on iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Another update:

Short video shows

- Starting up the car and start up preferences automatically enable the Active Backrest in normal mode
- Pressing the miDrive button (diamond) sets Active Backrest to Sport mode, transmission to Sport mode, and changes the screen selection in miDrive to Sport mode
- Pressing the star button switches the video to display miDrive
- Examin the various screens and OBD values being displayed

OBD values are ultimately pretty useless but that is what I have at the moment. Will be switching to raw canbus readings but that is a lot of work so results will be slow.

** Can anyone tell me the right way to post videos?

Video
Old 08-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Another brief video showing results with Oil Temp and Water temp from the canbus network.

Oil temp was not available vie OBD so this is the only way to get it.

Focus is lousy but you can still see what is going on well enough.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m265/NoQuarter1/?action=view¤t=6f51d36c.mp4
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the only way to post vids (not youtube) is using the IMG Code on the right side of photobucket site, like this:

btw any news about the project?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 PM
New Members

Will this work on the E90? In that case I will definitely buy it.
Any updates on the project?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

I have been running this on my own car for a couple months now. No issues at all, runs like a stock piece of equipment.

I have the components to make a couple of these for forum members but what I don't have a is a case sorted out. Properly mounting the module in a case with a usable wire harness is really the last bit. I have just been enjoying it installed in my car and not working on it .

I don't know about the E90 because I don't have access to one to test. Water and oil temps I think would be pretty easy to sort out with a beta tester. We could log the data from the network and I could write the code for suspected oil/water codes and try it out in an iterative fashion. I better scenario is to have en E90 owner that can write the code test it out and update the code to make it work.

With this renewed interest my motivation to get a case sorted out increases
Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 AM
New Members

the main problem is, there is no night vision for e90, so we have to buy a video-in module. =(
Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 520i

Nice project I love to see the Arduino beeing used on BMW! I used Arduino to hack an marine diesel engine to read several sensors.

Does this work on 520i E60 2004?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:28 PM
New Members

Any news on this?
I'm currently planning to install a video module in my e90 and pair it with an Raspberry PI to display obd data (and play spotify). I would like to play around with a can controller too, but since I'm not into programming it will be hard for me to do anything except for sniffing up the commands.

When you control the Ardunio with the idrive knob. Will the knob also control the idrive software at the same time?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by yngvejos
Any news on this?
I'm currently planning to install a video module in my e90 and pair it with an Raspberry PI to display obd data (and play spotify). I would like to play around with a can controller too, but since I'm not into programming it will be hard for me to do anything except for sniffing up the commands.

When you control the Ardunio with the idrive knob. Will the knob also control the idrive software at the same time?
I expect to make this my winter project. Pretty tough to want to sit inside programming over the summer.

I'll get a couple more modules made up and in decent cases and get them out to a couple who have volunteered to help test it out.

In iDrive, the only applications that will respond to knob commands are the active apps on the screen. when I use the nigh vision interface, it does try to control the night vision app but not just scrolling the knob back and forth. Other video controllers will behave different but I have never used one.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Members

Great job getting this to work!
Which CANBUS shield did you use? Is it the same as this one?
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10039

Can you share the CANBUS messages for iDrive controller input?
I've been planning to use Arduino with CANBUS shield to control my Garmin GVN-53 with iDrive controller. I've also thought about using a relay shield to disconnect the controller from CANBUS while I am controlling Garmin.

Quick Reply: OBD on iDrive