E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Not satisfied after aftermarket amp and sub install

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not satisfied after aftermarket amp and sub install

Hey guys, I have installed an aftermarket amp and sub in my car but I am not satisfied with the outcome so I am taking everything back out and sell it and focus more on performance and exterior appearance rather than audio. The whole process took me about 2 hours by myself which wasn't that bad, it's a simple DIY you just have to have patience and read up on the stuff beforehand. Maybe I have chosen the wrong components for what I was looking for, maybe I just need to install an EQ and equalize everything; what ever the case may be I just quit on audio lol

Here's the wires I had to tap into from the plug that goes to the factory amp for the LOC:

Name:  IMG_6305.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  104.9 KB

Here's the LOC I tied it down so it wont move around:

Name:  IMG_6301.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  107.5 KB

I pretty much just connected the amp power directly to the battery as shown:

Name:  IMG_6303.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  91.7 KB

Testing everything out before screwing the amp in place:

Name:  IMG_6304.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  104.7 KB

After the amp was in place and cleaned up a bit:

Name:  IMG_6307.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  78.0 KB

And here's the final product:

Name:  IMG_6308.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  98.8 KB
Old 08-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Ojo_Verde
Hey guys, I have installed an aftermarket amp and sub in my car but I am not satisfied with the outcome so I am taking everything back out and sell it and focus more on performance and exterior appearance rather than audio. The whole process took me about 2 hours by myself which wasn't that bad, it's a simple DIY you just have to have patience and read up on the stuff beforehand. Maybe I have chosen the wrong components for what I was looking for, maybe I just need to install an EQ and equalize everything; what ever the case may be I just quit on audio lol

Here's the wires I had to tap into from the plug that goes to the factory amp for the LOC:
Never installed a sub and amp, Im planning on it sometime in the future. But one thing I notice is that you dont have the Ski-port which for our cars will keep that sound in the trunk. Luckily I have one but for people who dont they are often disappointed by the way there car sounds when they install an aftermarket system. If all your wiring is correct i think that may be your problem. Not sure how you can fix it tho, maybe someone that has retrofitted or modded there car to get some more sound in the cabin will chime in!!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Never installed a sub and amp, Im planning on it sometime in the future. But one thing I notice is that you dont have the Ski-port which for our cars will keep that sound in the trunk. Luckily I have one but for people who dont they are often disappointed by the way there car sounds when they install an aftermarket system. If all your wiring is correct i think that may be your problem. Not sure how you can fix it tho, maybe someone that has retrofitted or modded there car to get some more sound in the cabin will chime in!!!!
The install was fairly simple once you know what to do, I don't have the ski-port and I know it's REALLY sealed back there lol I couldn't even manage to pass through the remote control cable from the trunk to the cabin (amp gain control) !!! I'm just gonna sell the system and invest my money in other aspects.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Quarta2six is absolutely right in what he's saying.

I didn't have a ski port in my ex-car, and I just cut a hole in the backplate of the rear back rest. That solved the issue and the bass accessed into the cabin and sounded great.

- Antti -
Old 08-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by Ojo_Verde
The install was fairly simple once you know what to do, I don't have the ski-port and I know it's REALLY sealed back there lol I couldn't even manage to pass through the remote control cable from the trunk to the cabin (amp gain control) !!! I'm just gonna sell the system and invest my money in other aspects.
What size sub is that a 10 or 12 I cant tell by the photo. PM me with a price on it if youre looking to sell
Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

why not upgrade the subs underneath the front seats?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
why not upgrade the subs underneath the front seats?
Side skirts work as speaker boxes for the OEM subs under the seats. Therefore they will never ever sound as good as a real subwoofer in a decent box.

- Antti -
Old 08-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Side skirts work as speaker boxes for the OEM subs under the seats. Therefore they will never ever sound as good as a real subwoofer in a decent box.

- Antti -
Lol, this is funny I ALWAYS wondered why my side skirts would vibrate so hard in my car, lol... Thats crazy. When someone does install and aftermarket system would you just use the new sub for base and totally lower the stocks or when you splice everything does the OEM subs stop working?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Contributors

With forum member Technic's wire harness, the signal is only "robbed" from the OEM sub signals and they will work as before. I wouldn't drop them off completely because I think they are needed to fulfill the sound at higher bass frequencies.

- Antti -
Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Lol, this is funny I ALWAYS wondered why my side skirts would vibrate so hard in my car, lol... Thats crazy. When someone does install and aftermarket system would you just use the new sub for base and totally lower the stocks or when you splice everything does the OEM subs stop working?
The original bass still functions as it normally does, all you are doing is sharing the output from the original amp. So pretty much what ever the original bass was receiving, so is the new bass.