E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

NOS BOTTLE

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tru5g
I know what you mean....I thought the same when I got high over a nos bottle and felt light headed. I thought it will do the same for my car too.
LOL!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

NOS in Internal combustion engine:

In vehicle racing, nitrous oxide (often referred to as just "nitrous") allows the engine to burn more fuel and air, resulting in a more powerful combustion. The gas itself is not flammable at a low pressure/temperature, but it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures. Therefore, it is often mixed with another fuel that is easier to deflagrate.

Nitrous oxide is stored as a compressed liquid; the evaporation and expansion of liquid nitrous oxide in the intake manifold causes a large drop in intake charge temperature, resulting in a denser charge, further allowing more air/fuel mixture to enter the cylinder. Nitrous oxide is sometimes injected into (or prior to) the intake manifold, whereas other systems directly inject right before the cylinder (direct port injection) to increase power.

The technique was used during World War II by Luftwaffe aircraft with the GM-1 system to boost the power output of aircraft engines. Originally meant to provide the Luftwaffe standard aircraft with superior high-altitude performance, technological considerations limited its use to extremely high altitudes. Accordingly, it was only used by specialized planes like high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, high-speed bombers, and high-altitude interceptor aircraft.

One of the major problems of using nitrous oxide in a reciprocating engine is that it can produce enough power to damage or destroy the engine. Very large power increases are possible, and if the mechanical structure of the engine is not properly reinforced, the engine may be severely damaged or destroyed during this kind of operation. It is very important with nitrous oxide augmentation of internal combustion engines to maintain proper operating temperatures and fuel levels to prevent "preignition", or "detonation" (sometimes referred to as "knocking" or "pinging"). Most problems that are associated with nitrous do not come from mechanical failure due to the power increases. Since nitrous allows a much denser charge into the cylinder it dramatically increases cylinder pressures. The increased pressure and temperature can cause problems such as melting the piston or valves. It may also crack or warp the piston or head and cause preignition due to uneven heating.

Automotive-grade liquid nitrous oxide differs slightly from medical-grade nitrous oxide. A small amount of sulfur dioxide is added to prevent substance abuse.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
NOS in Internal combustion engine:

In vehicle racing, nitrous oxide (often referred to as just "nitrous") allows the engine to burn more fuel and air, resulting in a more powerful combustion. The gas itself is not flammable at a low pressure/temperature, but it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures. Therefore, it is often mixed with another fuel that is easier to deflagrate.

Nitrous oxide is stored as a compressed liquid; the evaporation and expansion of liquid nitrous oxide in the intake manifold causes a large drop in intake charge temperature, resulting in a denser charge, further allowing more air/fuel mixture to enter the cylinder. Nitrous oxide is sometimes injected into (or prior to) the intake manifold, whereas other systems directly inject right before the cylinder (direct port injection) to increase power.

The technique was used during World War II by Luftwaffe aircraft with the GM-1 system to boost the power output of aircraft engines. Originally meant to provide the Luftwaffe standard aircraft with superior high-altitude performance, technological considerations limited its use to extremely high altitudes. Accordingly, it was only used by specialized planes like high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, high-speed bombers, and high-altitude interceptor aircraft.

One of the major problems of using nitrous oxide in a reciprocating engine is that it can produce enough power to damage or destroy the engine. Very large power increases are possible, and if the mechanical structure of the engine is not properly reinforced, the engine may be severely damaged or destroyed during this kind of operation. It is very important with nitrous oxide augmentation of internal combustion engines to maintain proper operating temperatures and fuel levels to prevent "preignition", or "detonation" (sometimes referred to as "knocking" or "pinging"). Most problems that are associated with nitrous do not come from mechanical failure due to the power increases. Since nitrous allows a much denser charge into the cylinder it dramatically increases cylinder pressures. The increased pressure and temperature can cause problems such as melting the piston or valves. It may also crack or warp the piston or head and cause preignition due to uneven heating.

Automotive-grade liquid nitrous oxide differs slightly from medical-grade nitrous oxide. A small amount of sulfur dioxide is added to prevent substance abuse.
thanks for the info your the man unlike some of this people on my forum who dont know shit and hate

Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Please don't flame on them . Maybe it is the appearance of your original question that inspired them to fool around a bit .

- Antti -
Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

///M-Power, to be honest, not a lot of people understood what you wanted to say.

"any one know whats the purpose or the nos bottles just reduce of weight thats all?"

Read it again and tell me if that makes sense to you.

There were a couple of instances when people wrote on this site after drinking and it was hilarious. This is a great forum. Do not be discouraged by what the funny guys wrote.

Tonymac
Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonymac
///M-Power, to be honest, not a lot of people understood what you wanted to say.

"any one know whats the purpose or the nos bottles just reduce of weight thats all?"

Read it again and tell me if that makes sense to you.

There were a couple of instances when people wrote on this site after drinking and it was hilarious. This is a great forum. Do not be discouraged by what the funny guys wrote.

Tonymac
i understand maybe some people did not get i meant but they wrote huh with ? mark unlike the other ones let them keep their comments to themselves
Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IndyRedBeast
nos bottle reduce weight hahaha lol
why are you laughing go do some research it even says it on da site
Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ///M-Power
any one know whats the purpose or the nos bottles just reduce of weight thats all?
From the way you worded your question it looks like you have very poor English.

any one know whats the purpose or (<--- or? you meant of?) the nos bottles just reduce of weight thats all? (meaning the nos bottle reduces weight of the car or what? the wording doesn't make sense) I think if you break down what you said you'll find that it is a bunch of gibberish that doesn't make sense, hence the flaming.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

member trinity autosport ran NOS on his 545i...

https://5series.net/forums/topic/811...ost__p__942608

and no it was not for weight reduction...it's is/was for extra hp's..
Old 10-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
From the way you worded your question it looks like you have very poor English.

any one know whats the purpose or (<--- or? you meant of?) the nos bottles just reduce of weight thats all? (meaning the nos bottle reduces weight of the car or what? the wording doesn't make sense) I think if you break down what you said you'll find that it is a bunch of gibberish that doesn't make sense, hence the flaming.
actaully my english is very good i was born an raised in da us and its just an spelling error its not like you dont make any mistakes while typing

Quick Reply: NOS BOTTLE