E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

NON-OEM LCI Type Ebay Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A meet is definitely necessary once people start getting the whole setup up and running.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi' post='1091491' date='Jan 15 2010, 04:29 PM
A meet is definitely necessary once people start getting the whole setup up and running.

Yeah how about all of you guys move to Miami so we have meets every week.

MOVE OR BAN!!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I took some pictures yesterday but the prototype looked like a rats nest and I thought that would scare people aware. But the results are brilliant. Its a PITA that these lights don't come with their own bulbs and you have to keep swapping them with your own especially if you want to make comparisions. (Wait a minute...don't I have my old tails in the garage somewhere)

Anyway if its not snow its the rain in the country. At this rate I won't get any work done. However one thing is for sure this light has just confirmed that my choice of using OEM plugs on my LCI kits. I had great difficulty in trying to plug my car's wiring harness into these lights.

Oh and did I tell you that I have managed to figure out a way where the ENTIRE solution will be plug and play with ABSOLUTELY no cutting etc. And everything will be reversible. I just need to figure out where to get one plug from. They have used an aftermarket wire-to-wire mating plug which I think I've seen used quite often but I can't seem to find them now. This will be the biggest hold up for a clean and neat solution. For the moment until I can find them I'll need to device another way around it. https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=92319&hl=
Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Members

My Ride: White 2004 545i sport

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1092019' date='Jan 16 2010, 01:19 PM
I took some pictures yesterday but the prototype looked like a rats nest and I thought that would scare people aware. But the results are brilliant. Its a PITA that these lights don't come with their own bulbs and you have to keep swapping them with your own especially if you want to make comparisions. (Wait a minute...don't I have my old tails in the garage somewhere)

Anyway if its not snow its the rain in the country. At this rate I won't get any work done. However one thing is for sure this light has just confirmed that my choice of using OEM plugs on my LCI kits. I had great difficulty in trying to plug my car's wiring harness into these lights.

Oh and did I tell you that I have managed to figure out a way where the ENTIRE solution will be plug and play with ABSOLUTELY no cutting etc. And everything will be reversible. I just need to figure out where to get one plug from. They have used an aftermarket wire-to-wire mating plug which I think I've seen used quite often but I can't seem to find them now. This will be the biggest hold up for a clean and neat solution. For the moment until I can find them I'll need to device another way around it. https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=92319&hl=
sounds good... Just sent you a PM
Old 01-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Things are looking good for a possible plug and play cableset for these lights. After hours of research last night (because it was still raining and I couldn't work on the car) I think I 'may' just have found what I need. I've ordered a couple of sample to see if they will work. If they do then I will get on to my assembler and ask him to create a sample batch for the people interested here.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Contributors

So finally managed to get some photos. If anyone makes fun of my photo taking skills or my camera then I'll be very upset

The difference is quite a lot but they don't come out well on my stupid dinky little camera. But hopefully you can see it.

On the LEFT is my kit on these lights and on the RIGHT is the lights unmodified.

NON-OEM LCI Type Ebay Tail Lights-dsc00450.jpg

You can clearly see the bulbs lit behind the rods in the unmodified version.

NON-OEM LCI Type Ebay Tail Lights-dsc00448.jpg

Which I suppress until you press the Brake. I've also made the LED rods a lot brighter.

NON-OEM LCI Type Ebay Tail Lights-dsc00449.jpg

The quality of the material used for the LED rods is quite a lot poorer than the OEM tubes and they also have the LEDs positioned the wrong way. To overcome this I've had to make a few adjustments to my V6 configuration to make the LED rods brighter. When I tested this on the OEM lights the LED rods were blinding.

All I can say is that unmodified these lights can almost be considered unsafe because the Brake light is significantly dimmer than BMW intended. Everything else is acceptable. With my kit I think I've resolved all the issues I can without ripping the entire light apart and redoing the circuit.

My kit will be completely plug and play. I wonder how popular the kits for these lights will be because in Europe they are quite expensive. I paid about 250 EUROS from a seller in Germany on ebay.de

For that reason I cannot mass produce these just yet and they may not work out as cheap I would have hoped for. But I hope you like the results.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i. titanium grey, cold, premium, 6k headlights, V2 angle eyes, full LED interiors, LED licence plate lights, LED smoke side markers, LCI euro tail lights.

Remarkable job Bruce!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

Great Improvement Bruce!

When will we learn about availability & pricing?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how about a comparison between lci and these lights?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Ok Bruce, no comment on the pics. However, the more important questions are: How much is the kit? When can we get one?

Quick Reply: NON-OEM LCI Type Ebay Tail Lights