E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Non OEM CCFL LED tail lights on eBay...anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i

...and still waiting
Old 12-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Contributors

....still waiting
Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

I want pictures!!! i wanna see whats the fuss all about with these reps i hope they look close to lci
Old 12-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Members

My Ride: MB CLS 55 AMG

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='1069276
Calm down chief......no one is forcing these on your car. Don't make it your concern what we choose to spend our money on.
There are a few people testing them so calm down. If they end up being a bust I would think people will back out.

Lci tails look nice and all but apparently a lot of people can't justify spending a grand.
I don't know why you guys assumed I was furious? lol... did I sound like I was? I was perfectly calm typing up my response, I have no reason to lie to you guys, it's not like I'm the one selling Bruces cables or sell LCI taillights? I'm looking out for you guys, to give you some more things to think about before you fork over $200 on some cheap a$$ taillights. I don't even own a E60 (my best friend does), I'm here to learn a few new things and teach people with what I already know.

Originally Posted by LBimmer' post='1069295
Calm down there sir! By the sound of it, you probably bought the OEM LCI taillights and Bruce cables and saw this post and got angry .

No matter how much our car costs from the factory or how rich/wealthy we are, I would think that most people (99.99999999%, non-exaggerated) would like to find cheaper alternatives to anything. If they look almost as good, and function fine, then why not save $800 to have almost the same thing without the OEM stamps on the inside of the lights?

Also take a look at the E46 M3 forums, ebay headers are a HUGE hit there. $100-$200 headers being put in a $60k car. Yup, apparently no one does these things... (sarcasm intended)
Jesus, again... how did I come off sounding furious? Was it because I said somethings you guys didn't want to hear? Instead of taking the things I said into consideration, you guys turned it around and took it as negative as possible as if I was trying to compete with the seller and make you buy my product instead or something... I'm not selling anything here but only throw out some of my opinions and advice, I can't do that?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Members

My Ride: MB CLS 55 AMG

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi' post='1069425
If they look the same and function the same why not? Not all of us care if they are OEM or not. I realize there are differences in things that look the same and aren't so don't bring up the fake rolex example. The OEM taillights are nice but are very overpriced, when you break it down how much do the materials actually cost to make them? They are only that expensive because they are "OEM" and no one else has a copy of them. So if there is a new one that comes out, I'm all for giving it a chance. Does a replica AC Snitzer or a real AC Snitzer spoiler function any differently to justify a $1000+ price difference?
Bad example, I replicate parts myself and I don't consider the funcuality to be any different, in fact the parts I replicate turn out better than original part. Replicating electronics and parts like headlights and taillights is a whole different ball game.
As far as you guys not caring whether it's OEM or not, refer to my reply up above in regards to OEM vs AM taillights/headlights.

Why are you guys hating on my opinion so much? I can't throw a warning out to those who are more concerned about it other than LOOKS? I'd assume that half of you are family men, and always have kids riding in your back seat, would you like it for you taillight to melt on you one day, start an electrical fire or burn out the taillight and end up getting rear ended? or simply your car burning down to the ground?

I posted because I care, because I've seen DOZEN of eBay taillights either being melted, or 90% of the LED's not working because they use cheap quality LED's.

Whatever I wouldn't put on my car, I wouldn't recommend to my friends or customers. A replica is a replica, as long as its only for looks... who cares? But when you mess with OEM functions, you're asking for problem, or you're simply a ricer who doesn't care.

As far as looks go...

The difference so far I see between the OEM and these Ebay ones... the rods are definitely going to be more pinkish than the OEM rods that are redish/orangy looking. The turn signal LED's will definitely not be as bright and I think the placement of the reverse light looks cheap as hell.

Sorry guys, but I didn't tell no one NOT to buy it, I just gave my opinion and warned people of the problems/defects and how it looks different from OEM.

A true E60 enthusiast would spot the difference far away, and would never put this on his car IMHO.

Good luck to those who purchase them, and I'll be happy for you guys if they don't actually melt, and look just as good as the OEM LCI taillights at night.

To those that do end up buying them, make sure you purchase LED brake light bulbs, as well as LED reverse light bulbs, do not use anything halogen inside those taillights.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Contributors

thanks for the opinion igor. i was going to get led brake and reverse lights for that reason.

i know for a fact if these 200 dollar lights fail i will not be getting the lci's. this is a shot to get the lci look for 200 rather then 1000+. To us its worth a shot.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Igor returns! I think you sounded really angry to us because you were throwing out a bunch of negatives and indirectly scolding us for doing this even though it has yet to be tested.

I believe you and your experiences but one can always hope for the best. I've been in many a grim situations where everyone said it won't work but guess what, in the end it did. So I failed 99 times before I was successful 1 time. But that 1 time is the jackpot and the best feeling in the world. Aka that's what I'm hoping for here and for the rest of us (except in this case we have a guinea pig and no initial down-side).

And apparently 30+ of us are not car enthusiasts? I mean if money were no option of course I would buy LCI tails and Bruces cables, but a much cheaper alternative is always worth a shot, especially when fellow members are testing it out and if successful, will arrange a group buy.

I'm pretty sure when Miro, VR, Rota, etc. all first came out with their "replicas" everyone knocked on them saying you should only buy authentic CSL, Advan, BBS, Volk, etc. wheels. And they are wheels, which the entire car sits on (besides tires, suspension components, etc.), which is an equally importart part of the car in addition to tires and lights as you mentioned above. Yet there were guinea pigs and lo' and behold these wheels have proven themselves and gained popularity.

Also for most people driving a family sedan, we don't exactly need the best tires out there. Sure T1Rs and the kind are awesome tires, but for us General Exclaim UHP's work equally well. My cars never see the track and the roads around my area aren't too bad. saving over $1k a year on tires is a lot of money. There are those who bash on Generals and Falkens but honestly they have been proven to perform really well for the price.

Also with good replica parts, it is really hard if not impossible to tell the difference in many cases. Especially with body parts as long as the fitment is good and decent quality material is used (aka Seibon CF parts). Given that, I'm sure 99% of the E60's on the road won't really notice our tail lights as aftermarkets, and if they did, I'm sure they could care less. Heck, I bet 99% of the E60 drivers out there don't know what an E60 is. I'm buying this because it makes me feel good and not to please other people.

I think we were all just ganging up on you because we were hoping for the best and you were shooting our hopes and dreams down without having anyone test these suckers out. You are probably right about the quality (or lackthereof) of the lights, but let us hope and wish for the best.

Along these lines, Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Contributors

ok....why arent the god damn pictures here?!?!?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

redeyejedi has gone amiss! Hopefully he's installing and taking pictures as we speak
Old 12-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 2006 BMW 530i with sport and prem package, staggered 124 wheels, 50% tint, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black interior w/ alum trim set, M style body kit and sound upgrade: Alpine PDX-5, PXE-H660, sub, MBQuart speakers.

He should do a webcast so we can see while he installs them in real time...

Quick Reply: Non OEM CCFL LED tail lights on eBay...anyone?