E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Nitto Invo or Hankook V12?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

Originally Posted by bha7176
I have them and they are completely shot on the rear after only around 8,000 miles - and I don't drive it like I stole it. I'm very UNSATISFIED with them, and will be replacing them with Conti DW's.

If you are willing to replace them after a short period of time (which in the end is just, if not more expensive then buying a better tire set up) then go for it. They did perform good enough while they lasted.

Just my two cents.
I've heard nothing but praise from those DW's. Good choice.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
Define "shot".
They have a 260 or 280 tread wear. They should last way longer than 8000 miles. My guess is if you haven't been doing massive burnouts, then the alignment is out or they are over/ under inflated causing premature wear. If this is the case, you'll have the same issue regardless of tire brand, IF the issue is not corrected.
SHOT = need replaced. the inner tread is bald. the outter side is ok. think it has to do with the sport suspension and the -2 camber on the rear wheels. and PSI isn't the issue. I have them at 36 PSI and check it often.

Please let us know how they work out for you. I hope you get more than 8,000 on the rears, time will tell.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

SHOT = need replaced. the inner tread is bald. the outter side is ok. think it has to do with the sport suspension and the -2 camber on the rear wheels.
If the inner edge is worn then there is too much negative camber for sure. Not sure what the camber spec is on an e60, but I'm guessing -2 is out of spec.

Same thing will happen again if not corrected, regardless of tire brand and you can't blame a brand because they wore out prematurely due to too much negative camber.

My current runflats have worn pretty evenly, but I think once I get the new tires I will get an alignment anyways after a couple hundred miles just to be sure everything is within spec.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

If the inner edge is worn then there is too much negative camber for sure. Not sure what the camber spec is on an e60, but I'm guessing -2 is out of spec.

Same thing will happen again if not corrected, regardless of tire brand and you can't blame a brand because they wore out prematurely due to too much negative camber.

My current runflats have worn pretty evenly, but I think once I get the new tires I will get an alignment anyways after a couple hundred miles just to be sure everything is within spec.
Yeah, no. I had it aligned by BMW when I had the new wheels and tires put on. I was told that tires would wear quicker on the inner edge because of the sport suspension. the Conti's that were on there prior to the Hankook's lasted much longer with same suspension. It's the Hankook's man. See for yourself, like I said though I hope you get more out of them...keep us posted.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Contributors

I sell Hankooks and love them!!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Yeah, no. I had it aligned by BMW when I had the new wheels and tires put on. I was told that tires would wear quicker on the inner edge because of the sport suspension. the Conti's that were on there prior to the Hankook's lasted much longer with same suspension. It's the Hankook's man. See for yourself, like I said though I hope you get more out of them...keep us posted.
-2 is within spec? That seems like a lot of neg camber. What is the range? I would have them adjust it to -1 to -.5 which would help a lot, and should still keep it within spec.

I'll keep you posted on the wear with the Hankooks, hopefully I'll have better luck.

I still think this is an isolated incident due to too much neg camber. You're the only one that has had bad luck with them....that has posted anyways.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Contributors

-2 is within spec? That seems like a lot of neg camber. What is the range? I would have them adjust it to -1 to -.5 which would help a lot, and should still keep it within spec.

I'll keep you posted on the wear with the Hankooks, hopefully I'll have better luck.

I still think this is an isolated incident due to too much neg camber. You're the only one that has had bad luck with them....that has posted anyways.
Agreed, and to be honest, like I've said, until they wore out they were OK tires. Any brand is going to wear out faster than normal on the 550i with sport package, but 8,000 miles just seems way to fast and I liken that to the qualtity or lack thereof with the Hankooks. I'll let you know how the DW's stand up to mileage.

Search the internet for negative camber issues on the 550i sport and you'll find more than you can digest on this very issue.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Agreed, and to be honest, like I've said, until they wore out they were OK tires. Any brand is going to wear out faster than normal on the 550i with sport package, but 8,000 miles just seems way to fast and I liken that to the qualtity or lack thereof with the Hankooks. I'll let you know how the DW's stand up to mileage.
My OE Bridgestones on my '06 550 Sport have worn perfectly even....on the rear anyways. The rear's were road hazard warranty replaced and have about 20k miles on them. The fronts have about 35k miles on them and the outside edges are worn pretty good...but that's not from alignment issues, it is from tracking the car which has taken a toll on the fronts from hard cornering.

I can relate to neg camber issues though....my nissan is sitting at -3 on the rears, and it does eat the inside edges pretty quick, regardless of tire brand. I learned the hard way.....put a new set of tires on, then rotated at 5k miles, and when I pulled the rears off, the belts were showing Since then I rotate every 1500 miles, which has increased the life on this set. The problem on it is the car is lowered, and there is no rear camber adjustment. There is some play in the wheel bearings which is probably contributing, but I need to have the control arms slotted to give me some adjustment to get it back in spec
Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I am very happy with my Hankooks.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Got the Hankooks after my OEM rear Conti's wore out after 7K miles. Today I removed the 172's to put my snow setup on and gave the Hankooks a look. I put them on new in April, and I'd say I put about 6K miles on them, and they are about 50% worn already. Aside from that I'd probably buy them again, considering the price/performance combo.

Quick Reply: Nitto Invo or Hankook V12?