E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Night and Day Difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got my new Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires on the 545.
I could not believe the difference.
Here in HK, they are constantly digging up and paving new roads, so the roads are all 'patchy' and rarely smooth. And with the old RFT, I felt like I was in a Hummer most of the time. And the road noise was just unbearable. It was mainly the noise issue with the RFT that prompted me to get the new tires.
The new tires make such a huge difference. It's unbelievable. The smooth is much rider without losing handling at all. If anything, the car seems 'smoother' yet just as responsive.
So why did they bother with the RFT at all to begin with? This is so puzzling. Get rid of your RFT. You will essentially be getting a new car/suspension!
One question. What do I do with the Type Pressure sensor now? Do I just 'initialize' it?

ws
Old 12-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: various
Model Year: F10 2015 M Sport 530d

Why is it the tyre pressure sensor doesnt work with non run flat tyres anyway? I know how it works (rotation sensors bla bla), but why can't that be used on the non run flats. Is it due to the non run flats deflating at a faster rate??

P.S. I think your tired as you wrote "The smooth is much rider"
Old 12-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

I have non RTF and tyre pressure sensor works just well after initializing.

Skaffa
Old 12-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Members

yes i mean much smoother! =)

so does the sensor work on non RFTs?

btw, I had Bridgestone RFT...
Old 12-17-2004, 01:10 AM
Senior Members

Use your heads.. yes.. the RPA system will work with any tyres - as long as all four tyres have the same circumference

Strange yes, that the DSST/RFT tyres became nearly standard on the E60 - how many here have actually benefited from the special abilities of this tyre? Few I'd guess.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Dec 17 2004, 10:10 AM
Strange yes, that the DSST/RFT tyres became nearly standard on the E60 - how many here have actually benefited from the special abilities of this tyre? Few I'd guess.
[snapback]69890[/snapback]
I had a 3" wood screw through a front tyre some time back and got the RFT
warning on the motorway - late at night, p***ing down with rain and with
wife and 2 kids in the car. The RFTs got me home.

Some thoughts though:

- If I did not have RFTs then I probably would have spotted the puncture before I set out (the screw had been in for some time)

- If I did not have RFT then who knows what would have happened if I lost pressure in a front tyre at high speed on the motorway! :'(

- I remained safe and dry - and so did the family.

On balance I am glad to have it, although the ride quality is poor on 18"

A final word - since this puncture I have hade recurring false RFT warnings. Getting this looked at next week.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Senior Members

I had a puncture on a RFT some weeks back which I posted. I would have preferred to have been able to change the tyre for a spare had I had one in the car. As it was I used the car for 24 hours before getting the tyre replaced and the runflat held up just fine. The scary thing about this episode was that when the tyre was removed, the tyre guy found a 9" gash on the inner sidewall which was right through the tyre. The puncture had been caused by a nail through the tread and it was this damage that caused the FTM to activate NOT the gash which must have been there for some time.

RFT's are just not worth the deterioration in ride quality IMHO. I don't find my 530d to be too bad in this respect overall but my Z4 is attrocious because of these tyres.

I guess another arguement for not supplying a spare is that most owners are fitting 18" rims to the car. These things are huge when they are taken off the car so what would you do with the wheel if you had a roadside puncture, three passengers and boot/trunk full of luggage?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wslam' date='Dec 17 2004, 07:48 AM
The new tires make such a huge difference. It's unbelievable. The smooth is much rider without losing handling at all. If anything, the car seems 'smoother' yet just as responsive.
So why did they bother with the RFT at all to begin with? This is so puzzling. Get rid of your RFT. You will essentially be getting a new car/suspension!
One question. What do I do with the Type Pressure sensor now? Do I just 'initialize' it?
I can't wait to ditch my run-flats... I've had F1's in the past and been pleased with them, especially in the wet Let us know how they go over time, e.g. noise/wear.

Yup, just reset the tyre monitor (But if it hasn't fired already then things are probably configured ok anyway)
Old 12-17-2004, 04:58 AM
JDN
Contributors

I don't think the FTM gives a hoot which tire you are running. If you ever split a wheel, you might care though.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by wslam' date='Dec 17 2004, 08:48 AM
Here in HK, they are constantly digging up and paving new roads, so the roads are all 'patchy' and rarely smooth. And with the old RFT, I felt like I was in a Hummer most of the time. And the road noise was just unbearable. It was mainly the noise issue with the RFT that prompted me to get the new tires.

ws
[snapback]69876[/snapback]
The smaller engined base E60's have 16" wheels with non rft's and I believe the monitor works with those tyres. So they should work with bigger non-fun flats.

A question re the rims for RFT's?
Have the rims been modified in any way to help keep a punctured rft on?
Or, will a standard tyre fit a rf rim?

Quick Reply: Night and Day Difference